• Thread starter Joey D
  • 6 comments

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
I was curious if anyone was into rock hounding or fossil hunting? Since moving back to Michigan, my son and I have been doing quite a bit of it along the lake shore, although we do go back into the woods and find rock piles where farmers have dumped field stones. Here are some of my better finds:

Favosites aka Charlevoix Stone. Found this in my parent's vineyard.
1688937926131.jpeg

Some type of silicified coral found along the shore of Lake Michigan
1688938096395.png

I sometimes pick up an interesting stone from each different state or country that I visit. That's a no-go for Hawaii, which outlaws anything more than accidental and incidental amounts of sand carried back to the US mainland (if you left it in your sandals, fine; threw a pound of it in a baggie, not ok).

Where I live, it's pretty much all limestone, though aggregates or smooth pebbles in a stream are much more interesting.

Last edited:
I really want to go fossil hunting here but as it's mostly sand here underground there are just a couple of spots with some sort of ancient rock type, mostly old quarries, and most of those are closed off for the public.

Last edited:
Found a few more this afternoon while milling around in the vineyard.

Charlevoix Stones
1689887228066.jpeg

Petoskey Stone
1689887263687.jpeg

I'm not 100% sure what this is, it looks like it might be another Petoskey Stone but I'm not certain
1689887298560.jpeg

Chain Coral
1689887317348.jpeg

Haven’t got a clue about where to find fossils here, but we go beach combing when we’re on the coast and look to collect the interesting rocks, dead corral, flotsam and shark teeth. My daughter has many tubs of beach ‘junk’.

Haven’t got a clue about where to find fossils here, but we go beach combing when we’re on the coast and look to collect the interesting rocks, dead corral, flotsam and shark teeth. My daughter has many tubs of beach ‘junk’.
Not sure where in Thailand you are, but the Khorat Plateau in the Isan region is where most of the fossils would be. The area around Nakhon Ratchasima has a bunch of discoveries. There's apparently a fossil shell beach in Krabi too.

Welp, it looks like I might go fossil hunting as soon as I can walk a normal distance again. I just found out that 20 kilometers away there's a beach full of them. Amsterdam IJburg is being build with sand pumped up from times where hippo's and woolly mammoths were walking around here. And the Neanderthals of course.

Last edited:
Back