Rockstar Tournament: Starter Cup announced

GilesGuthrie

Staff Emeritus
United Kingdom
Edinburgh, UK
CMDRTheDarkLord
Linky

The Midnight Club: Los Angeles Rockstar Games Starter Cup Tournament – Happening Feb 7th 2009 – Win a $500 Rockstar Shopping Spree.

Register for the Rockstar Games Starter Cup for your chance at a $500 Rockstar Warehouse (http://www.rockstargames.com/warehouse/) shopping spree. There will be worldwide time trials and then head-to-head championship races to determine the ultimate grand prize winner. Eligible members will be able to enter four open days of time trials from February 7 - 10 for a chance to qualify in the head-to-head competition, which takes place from the February 12 - 16. The Rockstar Games Starter Cup winner will be crowned in the finals on Feb 16th. Racers must use C-Class cars only. Time trials will begin in the classic Midnight Club: Los Angeles race Sand and Surf, with the final battle taking place across a series of different tracks.

Eligibility is limited by age and location, for complete official rules and eligibility details please see www.rockstargames.com/socialclub/events.

January 28th 12:01 AM ET – February 6th 11:59 PM ET

Racing:
Time Trial Qualification Round:
February 7th 12:01 AM ET – February 10th 11:59 PM ET

Tournament Tracks
Head-to-Head Rounds:
February 12th 12:01 AM ET – February 16th 11:59 PM ET
(1v1 matches will be scheduled via email from adminstrator.)

Time Trial Round: Surf and Sand

Head-to-Head Rounds: Old Route 66, Coldwater Canyon, Hollywood Drifts,
Old Hollywood Shortcuts
Class C Cars

Sounds worth a go! If only to find out how bad I am.

Count me in, its definately worth a shot. Guys take note that Registration ends Feb 6th at 11PM ET (U.S.) then Time trials from the 7th to the 10th.

Last edited:
Looks like the tournament has started and the first place time is 2:39:327 for the run. It appears that they are taking the first 32 quickest times and the slowest qual time is 2:56:949. I don't see any GTP tags in the lists? Guess I will "represent" and see what I can do on the streets of LA. I created a sub account for my GTP_jswilli1 tag, I am going to register it but I am working on my submission:tup:

Here is the link for the tourny boards:
http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/mcla/tournaments.html

Last edited:
I will probably do my time trial tomorrow (Sunday), my Buttkicker Wireless is supposed to arrive today so I will be hooking it up to my chair tonight. I am at work all day today sorry I could not participate in the the #5 meetup.

Is the Clutch Trick using the Hand brake at the start of the race for a quick launch (if timed right)? or did I miss something?

If you're using the clutch trick, you don't need to use the handbrake for a quick launch. Instead, you could simply plant your throttle and start off pumping the clutch. ;)

Well the tournament is pretty competive, I am ranked ~167. I came in at 3:04:xx, the lead time is still at 2:36:xx? not sure how the heck they pulled this off? The car of choice seems to be the 1999 Mitsubishi 3000. It looks like the key is not to use the clutch trick, or hand brake off the line but to use the comp cars and slip stream down the longest straights especially on the beach and towards the end when running on the freeway.

Well I have moved up to 97th place, it looks like slip stream is the way to go. I seem to do better with the 04 focus, just can't get the mitsu to hook up. Sir Giles how are you doing, have you tried the tourney yet? I didn't use my GTP tag, I need an Audi R8!

I haven't had a shot at it yet, quite a lot on at home at the minute. I guess I need to run tonight, if only to post a time.

Back