Beeblebrox237

Two heads, no brains...
Premium
United Kingdom
Betelgeuse
Beeblebrox_237
upload_2017-7-28_0-25-10.png

Source:
http://www.evo.co.uk/rolls-royce/ph...yce-phantom-delivers-super-luxury-masterclass

Rolls Royce has unveiled the eighth generation of the Phantom with a range of incremental updates and a twin turbo V12. What do you think of it?

I think it looks awful. It's less proportional and elegant than the previous model, and in the press photos it really does look like something out of GTA in that it simply looks a bit strange and contrived. In person it may be better, but for now I'm not a fan. Unfortunately (for me), I don't think Rolls Royce have ever had to worry about losing my business...

I share some of the same sentiments as you; does look very GTA-ish. It's actually underwhelming to me. I was expecting something a bit more different, but looks like the last Phantom just facelifted.

If I was after a Rolls, I think I'd go with any of the other models.

It looks just like the last one but modelled by a 3DS Max noob.

I'm going to go down to the showroom tomorrow and specifically refuse to pre-order! :D

Meet the new car; it's the same as the old one but more prestigious and the gentleman at the yacht club will laugh at you if you don't have one.

There doesn't seem to be any real significant change in the look from the model reintroduced in 2003.
They say if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I'm sure it will sell well.

Amazing engineering and build, probably the most road presence of any car on sale... just stunning.

But I couldn't own one, even if I had more money than I knew what to do with.

If RR are so good at making cars, why don't they make the best one for $20k?
Because it's commercially impossible.

A cheap car costs no less to design, engineer, develop or even build than a more expensive one, but a manufacturer has to sell it for less money anyway to fulfil the needs of a particular segment.

The profit margin on a £20k Golf is significantly bigger than it is on a £10k Up. Making a car of Rolls-Royce quality for £20k would almost certainly only be possible at a massive loss.

When buyers spec their Phantom they can choose between several high-end art designs for their dash. Choices include several oil paintings, porcelain roses, and abstract silk sculptures. To make the car truly theirs, buyers can even get a gold-plated map of their DNA.

This bit from the News article isn't strictly accurate, the Gallery options shown so far are simply examples of what can be done, in order to inspire customers to specify their own 'art'. They can choose anything they want - It's not like those seen so far are the only choices on an options list.

This bit from the News article isn't strictly accurate, the Gallery options shown so far are simply examples of what can be done, in order to inspire customers to specify their own 'art'. They can choose anything they want - It's not like those seen so far are the only choices on an options list.
Inb4 the first person to put an anatomically-correct model of their genitals in the Gallery.

The styling may not have changed much from the 7th gen, but the luxury and craftsmanship inside, even from just pictures, looks absolutely staggering.

That's why I said "choices include" not "choices are". I took it from the press release:

Rolls-Royce
Rolls-Royce has already worked with a number of artists, designers and design collectives to demonstrate what kind of creations are possible to put behind the glass of ‘The Gallery’ for the owners pleasure. Works as various as an oil painting inspired by the South Downs of England in Autumn by renowned Chinese fine artist Liang Yuanwei, a gold-plated 3D-printed map of an owners DNA created by the enfant terrible of German product design Thorsten Franck, a hand-made stem of the finest porcelain roses handmade by world renowned porcelain manufacturer Nymphenberg or an abstract design in silk by young British artist Helen Amy Murray are some of the creations inspired by this most unusual of Gallery spaces.

It is beautiful and I'm kind of glad it didn't deviate too much from the previous one because it's become somewhat of the signature look that people understand as a Rolls Royce. Rolls Royce's of old have pretty much faded out of most peoples consciousness. The 2003 Phantom IS the companies design language.

However I don't like the lights, they are too busy compared to the simple front end they are bolted too, they have made this mistake quite a few times with the rest of the range, particularly face lifts. I also don't like the digital dash, yes I know it's hard to get away from these days and I love them in other cars but not in a Rolls.

The pain of never having one, it hurts!

However I don't like the lights, they are too busy compared to the simple front end they are bolted too, they have made this mistake quite a few times with the rest of the range, particularly face lifts.

But they're lasers capable of shooting light 2000 ft down the road! FRICKING LASERS!

Didn't think I'd get responses on my $20,000 question.

Can't even get an OLED screen for your £350k. Why are car manufacturers so behind the times in this department?
Just for that reason. So you can request one and they'll happily R&D and install your bespoke instrument screen for another 50k.

But they're lasers capable of shooting light 2000 ft down the road! FRICKING LASERS!

When it pulls up behind you in traffic it starts to melt your rear bumper! If your driving towards it... oh well, nice knowing you :lol:

Can't even get an OLED screen for your £350k. Why are car manufacturers so behind the times in this department?

An OLED screen will burn in terribly in this application, also its not going to be reliable long term in an environment with constant temperature changes an movement. Development of these things in cars move slowly for much the same reasons as they do in aviation, the amount of testing and the time needed to get the certification for components is much longer than for household appliances. That's why your seat back screens are so archaic on a plane, they wernt when they started designing them!

Latest Posts

Back