• 6 comments

Grand Prix

The Nut Behind the Wheel
Premium
Canada
Vancouver, BC
GTP_Grand_Prix
rouen57.jpg

6.53 km long, high speed French track with downhill esses leading to a difficult to approach, cobbled hairpin. It was also quite scenic, being surrounded by forest. It is of little wonder then, that this track has appeared in so many driving simulators already. This layout was used for the French GP in the mid 1950s and 1960s.

1957french.jpg

Juan Manuel Fangio performing a four wheel drift at Rouen in a Maserati 250F

MT62FrenchGP.jpeg

Dan Gurney on the way to his first F1 victory, and Porsche's only F1 victory as a constructor, at the 1962 French GP

A lap of Rouen in GPL with a Ferrari 312

We currently do not have many high speed, vintage circuits in Gran Turismo. This track would be a perfect race venue for the many historic cars in the game, particularly those from the 1950s to 1970s.

If you enjoy french legendary tracks, you also should enjoy the "Autodrome de Linas-Monthléry", which is where I was born.
That 1924 track hold several speed record in the 1924-1939 period (first time somebody broke 200km/h in 1929). This is where Antonio Ascari died.
At that time, it was the french version of Monza (ITA), Indianapolis (USA) or Brooklands (GB)

The autodrome hold the Paris 1000km in 56-95 but in 72 where it was hold on Rouen-les-Essarts.
It also hold the Bol d'Or (now run on Nevers Magny-Cours), first 24h race in the world, and first motorcycle / car race in the world.

I plan to recreate l'Autodrome in GT6 if the track creator permits this. :)

Last edited:
Unless the roads are still driveable and can be scanned. It is going to be a HUGE "NO" to all those classic tracks some people are suggesting

Unless the roads are still driveable and can be scanned. It is going to be a HUGE "NO" to all those classic tracks some people are suggesting

Rouen was originally public roads, and still is public road. You can actually drive on the complete layout of it today. It was one of the great road circuits, like Reims, Pescara, Le Mans, and Spa-Francorchamps. Racing on road-based circuits like these is where the term "road racing" came from, to differentiate from racing on purpose-built oval circuits.

I think it is mostly the track facilities that are missing.

As much as I love this track, it probably won't happen. PD has never once had any interest in classic versions of tracks. Unless you count Le Mans 2005 as such.

Back