RPM Shift point

• Thread starter premhz
  • 2 comments
PHILLSHZ
Hey guy`s just wondering what is the best RPM to change gears at? I`m racing with the Midland team using a manual trans and generally shift when one red LED lights up on the indicator,i also have the Tacho switched on. I know the Toyota V8 isn`t the most powerfull or highest reving engine but am i wasting time letting it rev out to one or two red lights(18500rpm) or bumping the limiter or should i be changing earlier? Thanks in advance :dopey:

Yeah, usually right before the redline. But it will depend on each cars torque curve. If the car is struggling to get to the redline then you should shift earlier. Some cars can still accelerate hard past the redline but might do damage to the engine. It is a telling sign that the gear ratios in the transmission should or could be changed depending on the track situation for better response at the rev limit and help improve lap times.

Last edited:
No worries thanks for that. Just wasn`t sure if i should shift on last yellow or 1st or 2nd red or just as you bump the limiter,each manufacturer`s engine would be different and was after the best for the Toyota V8.

Back