RUF BTR Yellow Bird '87 tuning help

• Thread starter Shoe67
  • 24 comments
United States
Michigan
Shoe_67
I am trying to turn my yellow bird in to a drift car. I haven't managed to find any tunes for it, so I've been trying to make my own. Here is what I have so far, please let me know what I should change to make it better. Thanks

PARTS:
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Chassis Reinforcement
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Titanium Racing Exhaust
High RPM Range Turbo Kit
Fully Customizable Transmission
Adjustable LSD
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit

SUSPENSION:
Ride Height- -40/-40
Spring Rate- 7.5/9.5
Extension- 4/6
Compression- 5/7
Anti Roll Bar- 2/3
Camber- 2.2/2.4
Toe- 0.10/0.00

LSD:
Torque- 5
Acceleration- 55
Braking- 50

BRAKE BALANCE:
Front- 7
Rear- 4

TRANSMISSION:
Max speed- 250kph/155mph
Final gear- 4.300
All gears untouched

Last edited:
That car is a 🤬 to tune....but it's worth it, cause it's a blast to drive.

You need to run a much higher rear ride hight, and lower the rear spring rate.

Also, check out Team Shmogt's drift garage for a good BTR tune that works well on the Yellowbird.

I tried the BTR tune, wasn't as good as where I'm at now...but I did what you said, and I'm at consistent 14k on the high speed ring drift trial...not the best, but I'm getting there

I tried the BTR tune, wasn't as good as where I'm at now...but I did what you said, and I'm at consistent 14k on the high speed ring drift trial...not the best, but I'm getting there

You shouldn't judge your car by drift trial scores. The scoring system is deeply flawed.

Tunerguy21
You shouldn't judge your car by drift trial scores. The scoring system is deeply flawed.

Screw the scoring system, the physics are like crutches. Tune it online for an accurate feel.

I am trying to turn my yellow bird in to a drift car. I haven't managed to find any tunes for it, so I've been trying to make my own. Here is what I have so far, please let me know what I should change to make it better. Thanks

PARTS:
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Chassis Reinforcement
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Titanium Racing Exhaust
High RPM Range Turbo Kit
Fully Customizable Transmission
Adjustable LSD
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit

SUSPENSION:
Ride Height- -40/-40
Spring Rate- 7.5/9.5
Extension- 4/6
Compression- 5/7
Anti Roll Bar- 2/3
Camber- 2.2/2.4
Toe- 0.10/0.00

LSD:
Torque- 5
Acceleration- 55
Braking- 50

BRAKE BALANCE:
Front- 7
Rear- 4

TRANSMISSION:
Max speed- 250kph/155mph
Final gear- 4.300
All gears untouched

I bet your running sports hards too? huh

Just a suggestion works for me try settings your top speed all the way up and playing with your gears to where you only need 3 of them I did the same with my NSX and my 350z and it works great

i have this car and love it .. i run a short ratio ..this car in my opinion is controlled by shifting .. different set-ups will fit different styles ..i like using the gears to control my drift as i like to floor it as much as i can ..but some people dont like shifting and will ride one gear and feather it ..if you like to feather , run a bit of a longer ratio or you can run a shorter ratio and use 3rd gear as your 1st . run 3,4,5,6 ....i use comfort hard tires ..some people will tell u to run med or soft ..mabye even sports .. wow i would never use sports but to each his own .. comfort hard or go home.. i run my rear suspention way up there and drop the front end low ...then adjusted the ballast to compinsate the weight shift ..also very little to zero camber in the rear and anywhere from 2 to 3 ...mabye even 4 camber in the front...zero toe on the rear and mabye max .20 which should be default in the front .... no weight reduction ..hope this helps

Last edited:
Flow4barrel
i have this car and love it .. i run a short ratio ..this car in my opinion is controlled by shifting .. different set-ups will fit different styles ..i like using the gears to control my drift as i like to floor it as much as i can ..but some people dont like shifting and will ride one gear and feather it ..if you like to feather , run a bit of a longer ratio or you can run a shorter ratio and use 3rd gear as your 1st . run 3,4,5,6 ....i use comfort hard tires ..some people will tell u to run med or soft ..mabye even sports .. wow i would never use sports but to each his own .. comfort hard or go home ..hope this helps

I usually use 1 gear and feather, but if I start to loose too much speed and slip to the inside (especially on banked corners) I will shift up once or twice as needed. But I have worked with my 3rd and 4th gears and gotten the ratios to work out pretty well for me

twitcher
+1

And I must say...5th and 6th as your main gears in a Z34...that's one weird transmission tune...but each to their own, whatever works for you I guess.

Well, I know a tvr speed12 uses mostly 4,5,6.

Personally for my yellow bird i have lsd As 5/60/20 and instead of a high rpm turbo i use a mid or low depending on the track seeing as goin into corners ur usualy no going to max ur rpms UNTIL you get your rears spinning the mid to low helps to get em spinning

Personally for my yellow bird i have lsd As 5/60/20 and instead of a high rpm turbo i use a mid or low depending on the track seeing as goin into corners ur usualy no going to max ur rpms UNTIL you get your rears spinning the mid to low helps to get em spinning

i am one of those people who has their tires spinning before the corner, so I prefer the high rpm turbo. I will try the LSD though.

cggorman
So go twords corner relatively slow 30 or so in the lowest gear you can be in so 2nd. Or 3rd

It depends on the corner at how fast I enter it. And I will use gears 3-6 depending on how tight or wide the corner is

i run mine stock standard with my tune only items brought were suspension c/h tyres and transmission i can tell you the tune if you want it

i run mine stock standard with my tune only items brought were suspension c/h tyres and transmission i can tell you the tune if you want it

Stock standard with a tune? If it is stock it is stock, if it has a tune, it no longer is stock. :lol:

Stock standard with a tune? If it is stock it is stock, if it has a tune, it no longer is stock. :lol:

I imagine by "Stock Standard" he means "No performance upgrades or weight reduction" but with customisable parts to apply a tune 👍

Not sure why the thread was revived just to say that but hey, better than making a whole new thread :lol:

Back