RUF SCR 1978

• Thread starter Neddo
  • 17 comments
"The need to reduce fuel consumption along with stricter emission laws had become one of the automotive industry´s most urgent issues in the 1970s. To adapt to these new standards, Porsche reduced its normally aspirated 3.0 litre flat six to 180 hp. Apart from the expensive Turbo, this opened a gap in the model range as customers who desired more power now had to go for the comfortable 928.

Consequently, the 911 SCR conversion´s centerpiece is the SC engine enlarged to 3,185 cm³ with a peak power of 215 bhp at 6,000 rpm. The RUF five-speed manual transmission contributes to significantly improved fuel efficiency. Along with better tractability, the SCR´s road performance nearly matches the Turbo and perfectly closes the gap Porsche left open for political reasons.

Introduced in 1978, the 911 SCR, together with the RUF Turbo 3.3, completed Ruf´s model range of optimized conversions of both the Carrera and Turbo.

Technical: (this was in a table, so I reformatted it)

Power Output (DIN) 158 kW (215 bhp)
at Engine Speed 6,000 rpm
Specific Output 49.6 kW/L (67.5 bhp/L)
Displacement 3,185 cm3
Compression Ratio 9.8 : 1

Engine:

* Air cooled horizontally opposed 6-cylinder
* Longitudinally rear mounted
* Chain driven OHC per cylinder bank
* Mechanical Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection system
* Bore x Stroke of 98.0 mm x 70.4 mm
* Eight main bearing crankshaft
* Dry sump lubrication system
* Electric fuel pump

Transmission:

* Rear wheel drive
* RUF five speed manual
* Single plate dry clutch
* Limited-slip differential, 80%

Performance:

* Top speed of 255 km/h
* 0 - 100 km/h in 5.7 sec
* 0 - 200 km/h in 23.7 sec"
ruf_scr_article_rufregistry_1.jpg

ruf_scr_article_rufregistry_2.jpg

ruf_scr_article_rufregistry_3.jpg

am1212_porsche_ruf_05.jpg

am1212_porsche_ruf_04.jpg

am1212_porsche_ruf_01.jpg
5628802084_42772427a5_b.jpg

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/showthread.php?96756-FS-Porsche-RUF-911SC-SCR-brochure

Last edited:
Its still a shame these cars are not premium. They have roll cages and would serve quite well as old IROC Porsches. Especially with driver's numbers on them. Get it in!

I dont mean to be greedy but, an RGT premium and the Yellowbird premium, would be enough for me to have fun with.

I didnt know RUF had been doing its thing as early as the 70's. i enjoy RUF and would only want them to stay even if Porsche got in. Voted and I like that green colour too.

Well that and it's older. The performance alone should be enough though to be looked at by developers.

It is older, but it's the same generation 911 (930) and the body is identical apart from some minor details around the bumpers. I wouldn't say no to a Ruf with a power output more similar to the original Porsche though, especially not if it also gets to keep the Fuchsfelge wheels.

I wouldn't say no to a Ruf with a power output more similar to the original Porsche though, especially not if it also gets to keep the Fuchsfelge wheels.
I wouldn't either. With a similar power output to the 911 it's based on; I would welcome it in GT. I mean, if I can't have Porsche, but can have a manufacture with Porsche chassis based cars. I would want some models included to be similar to actual Porsches.

Back