Ruf, yay or nay?

United Kingdom
Merseyside, UK
Hi, I'm Petrolhead1!

With the amount of GT users saying that Porsche needs to make an appearance in the game, it got me wondering:

What's wrong with Ruf? Why can't we live with what is basically, a Porsche, only better and more exclusive?

Personally, I don't mind RUF, because as of now, it's the closest thing we're going to get to actual Porsche, but... it feels like an imitation. It's not quite the real thing even though it's "officially" recognized as a seperate manufacturer. It doesn't have the truly great and classic Porsches.

And I don't think RUF has ever tuned a 917 or 962 before. :P

Frankly, I couldn't care less about Porsche being in the game (I wouldn't object to it though). I'm my humble opinion, no Porsche beats the legendary Ruf 'Yellow Bird'.

Personally, I don't mind RUF, because as of now, it's the closest thing we're going to get to actual Porsche, but... it feels like an imitation. It's not quite the real thing even though it's "officially" recognized as a seperate manufacturer. It doesn't have the truly great and classic Porsches.

And I don't think RUF has ever tuned a 917 or 962 before. :P

Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Instead of whether RUF should stay or not, why not both? 👍

The problem isn't that RUF isn't sweet (though they probably will never be premiums).

The problem is that Porsche is such a great and historic automaker. It's hard to see a collection of great Le Mans cars or GT type cars, without Porsche.

I blame Porsche for this. GT is the dominant racer in Europe, and that's Porsche's best market. Instead, Porsche made a deal with EA for exclusivity. Ferrari and Ford didn't do that, and I appreciate that.

Hopefully this great automaker comes to its senses when their EA deal elapses.

I do agree that there should be 917s and 962s and the like, but still:

What's wrong

Don't forget the 996 turbo, GT1, and GT2 (the RGT is a tuned GT3), the 997 turbo,GT2, GT3, the 918, the 959, and not to forget the Boxster and Cayman

Well, Porsche isn't the only one that needs to come to their senses

True. But they are responsible. At the end of the day, it's their IP that isn't in the game. Polyphony was able to work it out with dozens of makers, but Porsche has an exclusivity deal with EA that made them different.

It's not the end of the world, but I do think they do themselves a great favor by working with PD. Not for exclusivity, but just for inclusion so we can put their cars to the test and enjoy Porsche's amazing legacy.

Hindsight is 20:20. I'm just hoping deals are changed in the future.

Unfortunately, as with Top Gear, we see a lot of people making deals instead of good content, with a motivation entirely around excluding competition instead of on competing for making the best games. Make no mistake: this results in less for the gamer.

True. But they are responsible. At the end of the day, it's their IP that isn't in the game. Polyphony was able to work it out with dozens of makers, but Porsche has an exclusivity deal with EA that made them different.

It's not the end of the world, but I do think they do themselves a great favor by working with PD. Not for exclusivity, but just for inclusion so we can put their cars to the test and enjoy Porsche's amazing legacy.

Hindsight is 20:20. I'm just hoping deals are changed in the future.

Unfortunately, as with Top Gear, we see a lot of people making deals instead of good content, with a motivation entirely around excluding competition instead of on competing for making the best games. Make no mistake: this results in less for the gamer.

Not true, If PD wanted Porsche they would have Porsche.
They would have to work a deal with EA just like other companies have done.
They just don't want Porsche in the game for whatever reason.

Not true, If PD wanted Porsche they would have Porsche.
They would have to work a deal with EA just like other companies have done.
They just don't want Porsche in the game for whatever reason.

That's hysterical.

EA is PD's competitor and wouldn't offer a great deal. PD obviously wants every interesting car they can find, and their workaround with RUF proves they are interested.

If you watch the GTTV they actually show a lot of Porsche's great racing legacy.

EA probably asked for an absurd amount of money, and PD realized it wasn't worth it. PD is a business, and even if they really want something, they don't have infinite dollars. It's not like they can just make everything happen that they want to happen. Only children think like that about businesses.

I don't blame EA... they are PD's competitor, and I don't blame PD, they are trying to make money.

I just think Porsche should do what they can to license their products to a lot of games instead of in exclusivity to EA. GT is the dominant car series in Europe by a massive margin with 30 million units, and while folks are enjoying BMWs and Audis and Ferraris and Corvettes, the Porsches are not making their presence known.

Porsche worked very hard to build a racing legacy, and because of the way they structured their deal, they have minimized the exposure of that legacy. I also suspect they aren't making as much money. It's EA that's making the money, but if no deal is reached, no one gains.

Your judgment of PD in this case seems pretty unfair.

What I don't understand is how Turn 10 managed to get Porsche included in Forza.

Also, I'd like to see some newer RUFs (like the CTR3) included in GT5 as Premiums.

What I don't understand is how Turn 10 managed to get Porsche included in Forza.

Also, I'd like to see some newer RUFs (like the CTR3) included in GT5 as Premiums.

Yeah, I'd like RUF premiums too, but I doubt that will happen w/o Porsche. Just my gut. I could be wrong.

The reason Turn10 got the license is because they have MS's backing. MS is one of the best companies at making deals. They buy more patents and tie ins than you could imagine. They get their products in and on and with everything. That's their model.

They made a great deal with EA, who obviously relies on MS for a lot in ways they do not necessarily rely on Sony (though of course they have a relationship too). Similarly, Turn10 got Top Gear right at the last second, kinda pulling the rug out of GT5 in a nasty and anticompetitive way.

I like Forza and don't mean to make a fanboy comment, but that's what MS does. They focus on the best deals to compete. Not the best products.

Latest Posts

Back