Rules for online lobbies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hawkeye122
  • 5 comments
  • 2,023 views
Messages
3,915
United States
California
Messages
gdwest1
So i joined a lobby at La Sarthe, my favorite track. The HP limit was 8xx, but the host kept saying "No LM 1 prototypes". Ok, thats fine. I picked my Stealth McLaren F1, and found that my suspension was vastly wrong for the circuit. I exited as they had already put a lead on me in their RM Corvette and... wait a second, he had a CLK-LM. That raced in the same class as LMP for a year or so.

What the hell?

So i asked him and he said "Oh no, this is a GT-1 car. It's allowed" He thought that when i told him it was also used to compete with LMP that iw as talking total crap. Next race rolls around, and I pick the Toyota GT-One race car.

To my knowledge, the GT-One was, just as the title says, A GT-1 car. It was also used in the Era where GT-1 were up there with the LMP cars.

So I pulled it onto the track and the host says "Oh no, thats a Le Mans car, you cant use that."

"You said it could be a GT-1 class? "

"Well thats not, it raced in LMP"

"True. But so did yours. The CLK-LM and this are both in the same class. Its fair."

As you've probably guessed, I was kicked right after.

So who was in the right? Was it fair for me to select a car that fit his regulations? Or was I using a car that was just "too good"?

Also, don't you think there should be some required reading on General Motorsport before they allow people to just randomly start talking about things that are either
A. Wrong
or
B. Made up, with a bunch of names cobbled together.
ie: "Yeah, they stopped using the Nurburgring in '51 because Niki Lauda crashed his LMP car here. So thats why they dont do F1 here." (True story, someone said that.)
 
I am editing the post, because a quick Google search revealed I didn't really know what I was talking about.
-------

Apparently both cars competed in both classes? Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in, because now I'm really curious.
 
The lobby belongs to the host. So, the host makes the rules.

I would have searched for another lobby much quicker than you. Also, I don't leave a race in the middle. Thats truly poor etiquette in my opinion.
 
The Mercedes CLK-GTR is not an LMP car......Its a mistake alot of people make.......The Mercedes CLR is the LMP car your thinking of and thats the car that had the huge flips at Lemans......The CLK GTR is indeed a GT1 car.....

This is the CLK GTR
1998_mercedes_clk_gtr_race_version_02_m.jpg


This is the CLR
clr_1.jpg



The CLK GTR raced in GT1 but beat the LMP cars(unintended consequence of the regulations of the time)....So the ACO forced mercedes to make a LMP car which is the Mercedes CLR shown above and reknowned for the flips.....

The toyota GT-One car from 1998 was a gt1 class car.......That got converted to a LMP1 proto in '99.. GT5 uses the '99 gt-one which is an Lmp car..Not the '98 version which is a gt1 car.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Blaze. That was sorta what I was reading, but you made it a lot clearer.
 
Got it. Thanks for clearing that one up.
 
Back