(RUMOR): Hideo Kojima quit Konami

• Thread starter Zuku
  • 18 comments
Wow just wow

Konami is the epitome of why japanese publishers are getting wrecked by their Western rivals.

No loyalty at all.

Seriously now the game feels its really about Kojima.

Konami is Cipher, and Kojima is Big Boss.

Wow just wow

Konami is the epitome of why japanese publishers are getting wrecked by their Western rivals.

No loyalty at all.

Seriously now the game feels its really about Kojima.

Konami is Cipher, and Kojima is Big Boss.

You're talking as if Western game companies had any "loyalty" what so ever to their employees.

You're talking as if Western game companies had any "loyalty" what so ever to their employees.

Yeah but at least they didn't go back to old press releases and remove their credits on the cover of the games.

I'm serious they removed "A Hideo Kojima Game" from everything.

Western companies at least will give the reasons why something went down. I guess Konami joins Crapcom in being irrelevant.

Yeah but at least they didn't go back to old press releases and remove their credits on the cover of the games.

I'm serious they removed "A Hideo Kojima Game" from everything.

Western companies at least will give the reasons why something went down. I guess Konami joins Crapcom in being irrelevant.

Pretty much in fact I'm now fairly certain the reason the Japanese giants are struggling has to do with business decisions more than anything else reminds me of what happened with Cartoons as well.

One point the companies let the creative minds do their thing now..........................................well now.

Edit: These shake-ups may be blessing in disguise for the rest of us member over a PSU I was saying that I know people love the Triple A titles, but these break-ups(as I call it) may help the middle-ware and indie companies grow even more.

Last edited:
Meh.

It'll take Kojima all of about five minutes to find someone else who wants to publish his games. He probably won't be able to work on MGS any more, but that might be a good thing. Start afresh with a new world, and bring all the awesome stuff that he's learned from MGS into it from the beginning.

Indeed. As far as I am concerned, Kojima is the most brilliant game producer in the business. His attention to detail and ambitious new ideas can't have gone unnoticed by other companies.
I think that Hideo Kojima and Hideki Kamiya are undisputed kings of game design and directing.

If the two of them crossed paths at Platinum Games for good, I wouldn't see an issue.

I was looking forward to silent hills and playing as Darryl from the last of us. I hope that don't get affected. Knomai are covering there backs read online as soon as the newest mgs is done there splitting. So may just be a say nothing get the last product out then come clean.

Wow just wow

This.

It's no secret the Japanese developers and publishers have for the last decade been in decline. They led the world during the late 80's, 90's and 00's and then fell off a cliff especially after the PS2 era and start of the online generation. Where are the billion dollar franchises coming out of Japan?

I feel they have become lazy. It takes too long for games to come out, they are often sub par or archaic in graphics and or gameplay and they are very home market centric which does it no favours when trying to appeal to the rest of the world. In some respects GT suffers from similar issues, it's stuck in the 90's and the world has moved on!

I had some time to stew over the news, and the more I think about it, the more I think it is an April fool's joke. Kojima is about to make Konami millions in TPP, and they screw up by having his name all but removed from the project? Sorry, but I don't necessarily buy that. What I can buy though is that Kojima's contract negotiations are not going well and he might be working without a contract once December's expiration date hits.

This.

It's no secret the Japanese developers and publishers have for the last decade been in decline. They led the world during the late 80's, 90's and 00's and then fell off a cliff especially after the PS2 era and start of the online generation. Where are the billion dollar franchises coming out of Japan?

I feel they have become lazy. It takes too long for games to come out, they are often sub par or archaic in graphics and or gameplay and they are very home market centric which does it no favours when trying to appeal to the rest of the world. In some respects GT suffers from similar issues, it's stuck in the 90's and the world has moved on!

I don't know if Lazy is the right word for it, but more like keeping up with the times, and also losing magic of certain franchises someone said this on PSU, and it had me thinking.

The only thing Fantasy these days about Final Fantasy is Monsters and Abilities and that's technically it.

Same can be said for many other games as well, and it got me thinking that even though some of these games try to go down the realistic path I don't think it's meant for every game.

Games like Call of Duty and Battlefield fine, but others it's just like I don't know.

I don't know if Lazy is the right word for it, but more like keeping up with the times, and also losing magic of certain franchises someone said this on PSU, and it had me thinking.

The only thing Fantasy these days about Final Fantasy is Monsters and Abilities and that's technically it.

Same can be said for many other games as well, and it got me thinking that even though some of these games try to go down the realistic path I don't think it's meant for every game.

Games like Call of Duty and Battlefield fine, but others it's just like I don't know.

There are fantasy games like Skyrim which have been hugely successful, also Minecraft etc so there is a market for non realistic stuff. The Japanese developers have not evolved the games enough and have relied too heavily on the characters for sales. For example they believe any game with Mario in it will sell purely on the fact that he is in the game and then the actual gameplay becomes a secondary thing!

Complacency is probably a better word for what's going on here. They need to innovate, why not do something new instead of the billionth Final Fantasy. Look at 'The Last Guardian', genuine interest in something new(ish) and people have been trolled for a decade!

There are fantasy games like Skyrim which have been hugely successful, also Minecraft etc so there is a market for non realistic stuff. The Japanese developers have not evolved the games enough and have relied too heavily on the characters for sales. For example they believe any game with Mario in it will sell purely on the fact that he is in the game and then the actual gameplay becomes a secondary thing!

Complacency is probably a better word for what's going on here. They need to innovate, why not do something new instead of the billionth Final Fantasy. Look at 'The Last Guardian', genuine interest in something new(ish) and people have been trolled for a decade!

True about last guardian, but I guess my biggest issue with this generation over last, and this happened with last generation too. They always asking for more power in a system, and it seems like it goes. Straight to graphics nothing else.

As for the final Fantasy games and Mario hey they can still have their place, but as you said they've become complacent. In fact I think they've gotten so bad they come up with stupid ideas and think their okay.

I blame the corporate takeover of Video Games more than anything though.

@Robin. -- I don't think Japan is suffering for a lack of innovation or new IPs, not compared to the popular annual or biennial franchises in the west. Innovations and new ideas don't sell games, anyway. It's not what the market wants.

Rumor is that the string of natural disasters in Japan had an adverse affect on the pool of talent in the Japanese gaming industry. Also, Japan's domestic market revolves around 3DS/mobile games due to their lifestyles, which has contributed to a degree of complacency in the home console space.

I had some time to stew over the news, and the more I think about it, the more I think it is an April fool's joke. Kojima is about to make Konami millions in TPP, and they screw up by having his name all but removed from the project? Sorry, but I don't necessarily buy that.
Plus, Kojima would hold the IP rights to the franchise. Konami might be funding it, but they're the publisher. If Kojima left, he would take the rights with him.

Latest Posts

Back