Rumour of US shortage of Sony memory cards?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vat_man
  • 18 comments
  • 825 views

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
Messages
9,428
Guys,

A work colleague who is a fellow PS2 gamer said he heard from his local EB store (in Australia) that there was a shortage of PS2 Sony memory cards in the US, and that a number of EB stores were having huge trouble getting hold of cards (e.g. order 300, get 6, that sort of thing).

I was just interested as to whether or not that was true. I have two cards so I don't care.
 
I've got my one so it doesn't make a difference to me. I was at Best Buy (major electronics store/chain) and they had all kinds of periferals (sp?) but I honestly don't remember seeing memory cards. There may be some truth to this.

~LoudMusic
 
doesnt effect me, 3 memory card i have, but havent used 2 of them. 25 game saves on the one card, with room for about 10 more or so. so i figure i'll need about 100 games before i run out of memory card space
 
I was almost shocked to see how small they were getting the saves. Especially the GT3 data ... the other guys just don't have the data structures know-how to REALLY shrink a file. At first I thought 8MB was a bit chinchy on such a new system, but now I'm seeing that it's quite a bit.

~LoudMusic
 
At our local Fry's Electronics, huge computer strore, there were no Sony PS2 memory cards but some generic, including a 16 MB card!
...but, like everyone here, I don't yet need more than my one.
 
the third party companies can take advantage of this dont ya think?
 
True - but my experience with them has generally been that they're crap - I'm very dubious of them.
 
i love the madcatz 8mb memory card it looks sweet too
 
I had a bad experience with a PSX 3rd party card, and I've never had ANY problem with any Sony product ever (including the mini-walkman I dropped in the toilet!), so I'm probably a bit biased in that regard.
 
3rd party memory card suck, and for the most part 3rd party everything minus games, suck.
 
Whew, don't mention 3rd party peripherals...my GT2 game was wiped out by a faulty card only a few % away from completion. :mad:
 
NCAA Dynasty and WWF Smackdown are over 3mb each and i havent seen any many 8mb memos in a while, and my 16mb memo works just fine!
 
Originally posted by Jordan
Whew, don't mention 3rd party peripherals...my GT2 game was wiped out by a faulty card only a few % away from completion. :mad:

I feel your pain brother - I was two races from finishing the reverse championship on TOCA when my 3rd party card 'retired' - countless hours of racing lost, including the championship where I made the pass to pick up the point I needed to win my first championship on the last corner at the last race at Silverstone.

Oh well - it was fun getting back to that position again, even if it did take me three months...
 
Havnt heard it yet, but it took a friend of mine about two weeks to find one.
 
I personally had no luck in tracking down a memory card, after 4-6 weeks of hunting I just got mad and bought a Sharkport. <shrug> It's a functional solution, but certainly not the best plan. Too much work unhookin' the PS2 and strolling to another room.

It's been another month and I check everytime I'm in EB and they have yet to get any in. So, I yes, I think it's a complete North American shortage.
 
I haven't seen anything yet, but you never know. :rolleyes:
 
i havent heard that one yet..maybe theyl just raise the price (theyre expensive enough already)
 
Nothing at Fry's in San Jose after one week of looking... they'll be back again, though. Yeah, nothing to worry about.
 
Back