RWD tuning help

• Thread starter Dumfries
  • 11 comments
United States
United States
I use a controller on PS4 and I’m just trying to get better. Part of getting better is learning to drive without traction control on.

FWD & AWD didn’t take any time at all to figure out proper tuning and how to drive without TCS…but I’m really struggling to get RWD cars right now.

Specifically long medium/high speed corners and depending on the car, I sometimes have issues where the rear kicks out at shift points when I’m driving in a straight line…usually happens on medium/high turbo cars.

I know some might just say learn to drive but that’s where I’m at already and I can’t help but think that my tuning is wrong more than my throttle control.

Any tuning tips or even different approaches to driving would be appreciated.

hi mate, I certainly don;t have the answer as haven't embarked on tuning just yet, but you may find posts from the aptly named @CounterSteer handy in a tuning thread guide he commissioned recently. Looks like it may contain the ingredients you need to reach your goal...

Shifting is a balance breaker. Depending on the car and the track, changing gear ratios to align with corner exit may already be a good solution, it is just not an approach to increase traction in general but only addresing a small part of the problem.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/praianos-tunes-settings-for-gt7.404868/unread

The fact is with a controller the throttle is basically an on/off switch, I recently got the g29 to help be a more competitive driver, but that takes a looong time too.

Praianos tunes work very good for RWD, but they make the car handle rather neutral bordering on understeer, so putting in competitive times will be difficult too.

I personally run on tcs 1 when using a controller.

I use a controller on PS4 and I’m just trying to get better. Part of getting better is learning to drive without traction control on.

FWD & AWD didn’t take any time at all to figure out proper tuning and how to drive without TCS…but I’m really struggling to get RWD cars right now.

Specifically long medium/high speed corners and depending on the car, I sometimes have issues where the rear kicks out at shift points when I’m driving in a straight line…usually happens on medium/high turbo cars.

I know some might just say learn to drive but that’s where I’m at already and I can’t help but think that my tuning is wrong more than my throttle control.

There's a lot of things that can be done to alleviate the issue. First, I would lower the acceleration value in the differential to a number you can tolerate so it gives you just enough lock-up under acceleration. Then you can adjust the initial value if you need to change the overall response of the differential (lower = less response. higher = more response).

The next thing you can try is to soften the rear suspension. You can make a big change by lowering the spring frequency. Smaller changes can be done with the dampers by lowering their values. Same applies to the rear anti-roll bar. Yet if you make the rear end too soft, the rear will be too slow to respond, and will create unnecessary understeer at corner entry and mid-corner.

Running anti-lag (if applicable) can help as well, because it keeps the boost pressure up somewhat so there's not much disturbance during shifting.

Finally, increasing the rear downforce will help you at high speed corners (or decreasing the front downforce value if you've already maxed out the rear value). There's no magic number and the aero balance (the spread between the front and rear downforce values) for each car will be different.

Um. They have to update the physics again as the geometry or tires are still off but RWD are still driveable at lower HP. You will need to keep front in suspension slightly stiffer then rear. You will need a lot of downforce in rear to keep wheels plant. Dampers should be more stiffer then rear. LSD will to be highly active. Add negative toe to front to promote understeer unless the car has a double wishbone then it may do the opposite. Sway bar will need to be stuffers then rear. As for ride height. Try to equally lower ride height or have rear ride height slightly lower then front. Increase front downforce if oversteer is too much. Front downforce promotes understeer compare to rear down force which move weight to rear when traveling around a corner.

These are all very informative and I’ll have to give them a try…I’m starting to realize that I’ve been doing the exact opposite. I can tune everything for FWD and AWD cars and really enjoy my setups….but now looking through the responses I’ve been pretty much doing the opposite of what I should for RWD which would explain why I’m having a problem lmao
Just use Praiano’s tunes on the Porsches there amazing
haha unfortunately there are a whole heap of cars that are FR and MR so I can’t just use Porsche

Update:

I’ve used the help of the LSD settings/suspension/aero and I immediately noticed improvements.

Some cars are still too snappy for my likings but others are driving like a dream and I probably put on 500 miles of racing over the weekend on RWD and only had a handful of spins with no TCS which was a major improvement.

Thanks guys for the help….it legitimately made a huge difference and I don’t feel the need to run to AWD cars all the time now l

Ryosuke Takahashi, now age 40, decides to come back out onto the scene in a solo effect to see how the racing scene has grown.

He has modified his car further, now having 480 HP and widening his car for even better handling and more aerodynamics!

Can his old FC3S keep the 'Dream' alive?

Last edited:
Raising the front height goes a long way. But, what people miss is raising the rear higher then the front of these cars keeps them straight when you need it to be.

I don't know what car you are talking about but an average height of front 115 / rear 150 will get you close. If you still can't keep it under control, try 120-130 front ride height, but always keep your rear 20-30 points higher if you can.

This will more than likely solve your problem. As will anti roll bar front 10 and rear 8-9.

Gear rations solve a lot of this as you can bog down the torque curves a bit.

I had to do this with my '65 Shelby GT350 and now it's fantastic to drive. You can see me drive it around Trial Mountain on YouTube with a search: PRT Countersteer.

Jesus christ, that's immense :D... Great video/driving.

Back