RX-7 cooling problems!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter T100
  • 12 comments
  • 803 views
Messages
344
First of all I want to say sorry because I know that there are about 100 Rx-7 threads...It is just that I need an answer quick.

I'm thinking about buying my friends RX-7 with miminal upgrades...356 hp at the crank. Anyway I have a big problem because I want to drive it alot but living in South Florida I can't seem to keep the enginge cool. I was riding on the highway the other day for about 25 minutes and the temp was around 107 C. Big problem!!! I have intercooler and fans but I was just wondering if GTP knew about anything really cool that can help keep the Rotary cool. I have about 500 dollars to spend only because my friend is giving me the hook up. They are great cars and really fun but alot of people who have the car down here also have the cooling problems. I just need to know if there is anything I can do to fix this MAJOR problem.
 
Get the radiator & engine flushed.

Replace the thermostat, a cooler one maybe a good idea.

Buy some good coolant.

Check the thermo fan, make sure its working and all the blades are there.

Some times front mount intercoolers cause the overheating problems because the restriced air flow to the radiator.
 
Fluidyne radiator and get an aftermarket AST. - rx7club.com
 
actually antifreeze doesnt have as good heat transfer properties as water. i say keep your anitfreeze/ water ratio about 70% water. the coolant (antifreeze) will still raise the boiling point of the water and keep it from evaporating and cooking your engine.

get your car tuned up properly.
get your cooling system flushed.
seal the apetures thrugh which air enters the front of your car so that the air HAS TO go through the radiator.
lower temperature thermostat.
higher cfm fans
a supplementary OIL COOLER
you can also make a cheap water spray system with home depot parts. sport compact car did it to their project sylvia for a fwew dollars. you will need to figure out how to diable the wipers though, or wire a separate punp specifically for cooling.
 
The problem isn't with the coolant / water mixture or the thermostat. The FD just plain has a piece of **** radiator from the factory.
 
or one could also argue that rotaries have much higher temps than piston engines.

i think all the sggestions listed are good general recommendations for any car that has cooling issues.
 
Rotaries do make more heat than most piston engines, so there wouldn't be an argument. :)

It's a fact though: The cooling system in the 3rd gen RX-7 is barely adequete for the factory 255 hp. The same goes for the baby intercooler.
 
neanderthal
or one could also argue that rotaries have much higher temps than piston engines.

i think all the sggestions listed are good general recommendations for any car that has cooling issues.
:lol: even my suggestion?
 
I might think twice about buying a 350+ hp RX-7 if you only have 500 dollars to spend on it.
 
Well these are all really good ideas but most of them have been tried... the sad fact is that if the air flow into the engine for the 3rd gen really sucks and the collant fans and other things really don't matter when your intake is basically sucking in engine air. I will try to get a new intercooler or more powerful fans. But my friend I talked to yesterday that you need to make mods to the body and the hood, and I don't want to do that.
 
Back