RX-7 rpm warning sound

• Thread starter F30clubman
  • 16 comments
Belgium
Belgium
Unlike in earlier GT versions, in GT Sport both Mazda RX-7's are equipped with a warning sound when you reach high rpm. Probably the realworld RX-7 are equipped with this feature.
While it may be very useful in day-to-day use, installing such an alarm in a situation where hitting max rpm in every gear is the nature of the game, seems less realistic to me and even almost sadistic to a well hearing person ...

It makes me avoid the RX-7's, while these light-handling cars used to be with my favourites in the earlier versions of GT.

Is there any way or hack to unselect this alarm?

They were equipped from factory like this just the same way the AE86 has the speed chime

SVX
They were equipped from factory like this just the same way the AE86 has the speed chime
Thanks for the confirmation. So it adds realism to the simulation. However, if I were using an RX-7 for trackdays all the time, I would search a solution to interupt the wiring to that alarm :-)

But probably there is little hope that such a solution exists in the GT Sport settings?

Thanks for the confirmation. So it adds realism to the simulation. However, if I were using an RX-7 for trackdays all the time, I would search a solution to interupt the wiring to that alarm :-)

But probably there is little hope that such a solution exists in the GT Sport settings?
I think in that situation you would actually want to keep the alarm, unless you have a big budget for engine repairs ;)

There is also an automatic rpm limiter, so why would I?
Other cars don't have it neither.
Because redlining the engine increases the probability of causing damage to it.

Rotary engines sound very differently from piston engines, so it might be hard to hear how high the revs actually are. I believe that's why Mazda chose to fit buzzers / beeps into their cars with rotary engines, to give the driver some warning before reaching the rev limiter.

There is also an automatic rpm limiter, so why would I?
It doesn't do an engine any good constantly hitting the fuel cut off at the rev limit. Rotaries rev so much quicker than a piston engine, and in a smoother fashion, and it is handy to have a beep.

Other cars don't have it neither.
Other cars have rattley, clattery pistons that make it very obvious that they are nearing their rev limits. After driving a rotary, piston engines sound and feel like a diesel.

Unlike in earlier GT versions, in GT Sport both Mazda RX-7's are equipped with a warning sound when you reach high rpm. Probably the realworld RX-7 are equipped with this feature.
While it may be very useful in day-to-day use, installing such an alarm in a situation where hitting max rpm in every gear is the nature of the game, seems less realistic to me and even almost sadistic to a well hearing person ...

It makes me avoid the RX-7's, while these light-handling cars used to be with my favourites in the earlier versions of GT.

Is there any way or hack to unselect this alarm?
This has me laughing, I was just telling one of my buddies how annoying the high rev warning sound was. I love the car but that sound kills me, in my opinion I think it useful especially in the RX-7. The motor is extremely delicate and revving it high constantly could cause serious damage. In my small league over revving the motor constantly would result in HP loss to the drivers car over time. So yea while annoying I think it’s useful.

Because redlining the engine increases the probability of causing damage to it.

Rotary engines sound very differently from piston engines, so it might be hard to hear how high the revs actually are. I believe that's why Mazda chose to fit buzzers / beeps into their cars with rotary engines, to give the driver some warning before reaching the rev limiter.
OK, I believe there will be a good reason for it to be in the real life cars, but anyhow it's an annoying noise, and I guess I'm not the only one who dislikes it in GTSport.

But probably, if we do not want to hear it, we better simply avoid the RX-7's ... a pitty imo. If anyone at Polyphony Digital would read this, please consider NOT including this "realistic feature" in GT7.

The motor is extremely delicate and revving it high constantly could cause serious damage.
Wrong. Revving a rotary, certainly the Renesis in the RX8, keeps it clean and stops build up in the valves that only open at higher revs.

Taking it to the beep at least once per drive is a good thing to do.

Ahhh, the beeping story.

The renesis engine of the RX8 does a hell of a lot as it goes up the rev range. It's forever opening and closing ports, and changing the intake route depending on how much air it needs. The 3rd intake port on the 231bhp engine opens at about 7500rpm. Also, unlike piston engines that tend to get rougher the higher they go so you know you're getting near the rev limit, the rotary stays smooth and relatively quiet all the way to 9500rpm, so there's a beep at about 9100 to remind you to change up.

So, this chap form the RX8 forums is looking to get another 8, and he sees one and goes to have a look at it. He asks the owner to take it out on a test drive with the owner driving. He has owned the car for about 4 years. The prospective buyer then says, "Can you take it to the beep?" and the says, "The what?" After being told what it was, he agreed.

So he gingerly takes it up the rev range, when it gets to 7500 where the 3rd port opens, there's an almighty bang and the engine dies. As the engine had never been up that high in the rev range for years, the 3rd exhaust port was so caked in oily residue that it was blocked.

The moral of this story is, if you get an RX8, beep it at least once per journey. But only in 1st or 2nd gear as beeping it in any other gear is illegal, (well technically not illegal in itself, but the speed you'll be doing is...) and only after it's warmed up.

Wrong. Revving a rotary, certainly the Renesis in the RX8, keeps it clean and stops build up in the valves that only open at higher revs.

Taking it to the beep at least once per drive is a good thing to do.
Oh no doubt, but I said constantly which is different from once per drive.

Piloted a completely stock '87 GSL-SE back in the day and can assure you that, in real life, it is a necessity. If there is a rev-limiter on the older cars, we couldn't find it. With revs that crested 9K, I thought it would have stepped in somewhere...they're too damn smooth for their own good. Rotaries don't really let you know things are going to go bad until parts are already being ejected from the game.

To your point, though, not really a 'need' in a racecar...let alone a virtual one.:cheers:

At least.

Odd how an "extremely delicate" engine can have a good finishing record at Le Mans.
Well yes sir a fully built rotary motor is a good motor. A stock 13b motor which is constantly over rev is not going to last long for the user that’s all I’m saying.

Last edited:
But anyway, if beeps are good enough for F1...

"I couldn't hear my shift beeps," he told Crash.net. "And I didn't know the radio was on. It cancelled the audio that tells me when to change gear, so I had to go back to using the shift lights. Because it's never happened to me before I didn't know that I had the radio on. It meant that I started the lap and I ran into the limiter on a couple of shifts, until I realised that I had a problem with that.

If the beeping really bothers you that much, you could drive in any view that isn't cockpit view.

I agree that the beep isn't necessary at all in the game, but I admire PD for stepping up their realism and simulating it because it wasn't simulated back in GT6 and prior.

As for removing the beep in the real car, I'm not entirely sure, but the Amemiya FD's beeper has been reprogrammed to come in 500rpm later with a 500rpm increase in redline, so I'm thinking it's feasible. The Amemiya FD also makes most of its power mid range, requiring drivers to short shift it, which means never hitting the beeper. It's a feisty monster with horrid wheel alignment issues in GT Sport, but you can give that a try if you must drive in cockpit view.

Back