S License in 5 Days Using AT

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jimbo45
  • 16 comments
  • 595 views
Messages
2
After 3 days of almost non-stop trying I had only 3 of the 8 tracks completed, here's what I did to get the other 5.

Drive the course a couple of times then watch the preview, they always show a gold run and seeing where they brake and accelerate is really helpful.

Don't use the ghost for Laguna and Cote, in fact don't use it at all if you can.

If you're using a gamepad move the accelerator to the right toggle. This gives you way more control which you have to have to beat number 8, plus if you haven't already, move your brake to the R1 button, your braking response increases dramatically.

It was a ***** getting this license but if an old fart like me can do it anyone can.

Good Luck and Drive Hard
 
You have exactly the right controller setup for AT driving 👍 NOW,..... hold the L1 button while driving,.... your car wont leave the gear it's in until you let go of L1!!!!!!!! ;) :) ;) 👍

When I drove AT, I never let go of the button unless I wanted to shift up,..... get the hang of it, you'll love it. Not only will you be able to hold a particualar gear through corners, but now you'll be able to wind out the ears INTO the red-line,.. taking more advantage of the power curve :D

If you want some AT times to gun at, you can look here 👍

http://gt3times.com/user/view.php?login=brianw13

Just scroll to the bottom and pick either laps or races. You can view my times from there. All those times wre grabbed with DS/2 - AT - Right analog accell/brake (I want to retrain myself to have the brake be R1, but now I have a wheel, so it's not worth it. R1 for brake is very important if you use accell on the right analog, because if the brake is on the analog like I use it,.... trail braking is litteraly impossible since you cant push it forward and backward at the same time,... obviously, ROFL!)

Don't be discuraged if the times seem fast, it took me a year to accumulate those, with at least 500 miles dedicated to each one :)

Don't hesitate to gimme a shout if you have any questions 👍

Good luck racing :cool:
brian
 
Originally posted by Red Eye Racer
You have exactly the right controller setup for AT driving 👍 NOW,..... hold the L1 button while driving,.... your car wont leave the gear it's in until you let go of L1!!!!!!!!
When I drove AT, I never let go of the button unless I wanted to shift up,..... get the hang of it, you'll love it. Not only will you be able to hold a particualar gear through corners, but now you'll be able to wind out the ears INTO the red-line,.. taking more advantage of the power curve
Out of curiousity, if you're willing to do all that just to defeat the way the ATX shifts for you, why not just drive a manual and be done with it?
R1 for brake is very important if you use accell on the right analog, because if the brake is on the analog like I use it,.... trail braking is litteraly impossible since you cant push it forward and backward at the same time,... obviously
That's not what trail braking is. Trail braking means to hold a small amount of brake pressure as you turn in, in order to keep the weight transferred forwad for better front grip and more rotation. What you're referring to is the equivalent of left-foot braking, in which throttle and brakes are applied at the same time. This is done in some turb cars in order to keep load on the engine and make sure that the turbo stays spooled up. Modern turbo systems (from the last 5-10 years) no longer really require this.

However, some people still find left foot braking to allow faster transition times between gas and brake (though they do not do both at the same time as a general rule).
 
Thanks Brian :)

I was getting pretty discouraged and had figured my GT3 playing would be limited to IA races tops. I can't imagine spending 2 months trying to beat the S License like some of the posts I've seen. After 5 days of 3 to 5 hours each I was drained.

I'm heading home for lunch right now to try out your L1 trick, sounds like it will help a lot.

Have a good one :D
 
k,.. bad termonology on my part,. but you know what I mean :)

Oh,. and I always drove AT cause I could always keep up with the MT guys while only doing half the work ;)
 
But my point is you are doing more work by trying to second guess the ATX, and trying to defeat it from behaving the way it wants to.

Just shift up when you are at redline and down when you're lugging. It's not that hard, and you don't have to fight the transmission - it listens to you.
 
That because the "ATX" behaves like crappola, lol.

As I said before,.... why do all that work (thinking about what gears are appropriate) when the AT will do it for you. The rest of the time, you can be in control by utilizing the said manuver. I can see where there would be an argument against it if it was obviously slower than MT,... but it's not, in the right hands ;)
 
Whatever. I never said it was slower. Race the way you want. I give up trying to reason with you.
 
What are we trying to reason?

How about we just let the times do the talking. AT is capable of winning championships,... people like OZ, Made in Holland, and myself have proven that on numerous occasions.
 
What part of "I never said it was slower" didn't you understand?

My point is that you spent, by your own admission, more time and effort trying to keep the ATX from doing what it wanted to do than it would have taken to tell the MTX what to do!

Yes, there are fast ATX drivers. Many many faster than I; many of the fastest in the world. I can only imagine HOW MUCH FASTER you/they would be if you stopped fighting against the transmission and started working with it.

Is that clear enough? I'm done, whether it is or isn't.
 
Dude,. your killin me here.

My point is that it's EASIER to drive the friggin AT,... your sayin MT is easier,.... WTF is TF problem then?

If I can make it EASIER on myself and still go fast, I'm gonna do it,...

BTFW,... I drive MT now that I have a wheel,... I hope your happy for me,...... sheeeeesh
 
Originally posted by Red Eye Racer
Dude,. your killin me here.

Yes, logic is a killer.

My point is that it's EASIER to drive the friggin AT,... your sayin MT is easier,.... WTF is TF problem then?

So you think holding down a button and fighting against a transmission is easier than lightly tapping a button and actually using a transmission to your advantage? :confused:

If I can make it EASIER on myself and still go fast, I'm gonna do it,...

Explain how holding down the button is easier than tapping it and I'll agree.
 
AT saves from needing to downshifting. MT does help for faster accel though (little redlining). Just a matter of preference..
 
1mic i got my S license in 1 day

[SARCASM]wow man u rule [/SARCASM]
Even i have done that dude and im not that amazing
 
Whoa. Is this really worth arguing about? I used to do AT because it was easier for me. But then I realized I could probably do better with MT so I use it now. I don't have to think about anything. It's intuitive if you have it set up right. Just use what will give you the fastest times. Maybe what seems like a lot of work may not be any work at all for RER. I used to think MT was a lot of work. Now even if by some chance I accidentally start an AT race I'm instictively trying to switch gears because even though I can't.

Controller setups and driving style is totally subjective. I used to drive in chse view, AT, and buttons to control. That seems so impossible to me now that I use in-car, MT, and sticks top control. And that was only maybe six months ago. But if I tried to do it now I'd suck bad even though it is "easier."
 
I guess everyone is different,..... that's all. I find it easier to hold the button rather than accidently bump it twice and hit 2 gears instead of one,.. resulting in a loss of maybe .1xx. Call me lazy, call me stupid, but I find it easier to hold down a button and periodically let go of it, rather than hoping I hit the right one and don't hit it twice......
 
Back