Saab's infrared cameras keep a safety eye on the driver

• Thread starter sUn
  • 4 comments

sUn

(Banned)

Saab officials get a little tired of that other Swedish automaker getting all the attention for making “safe” cars. To let the world know the people in Trollhattan think about safety, too, Saab let us test a system that could make its way into a production car in the near future.

In contrast to today’s passive safety systems, like the multitude of airbags available, Saab’s Driver Attention Warning System (DAWS) takes a more aggressive approach to accident prevention. Two miniature infrared cameras, mounted in the dash, monitor driver head and eye movement, and if the driver’s eyes stray from what Saab calls the primary attention zone—basically between the A-pillars—an audible warning sounds, followed by a brief pulse of the brakes.

The development system we tested in a 9-3 Sport Sedan allowed our gaze to wander away from the primary attention zone for about two seconds—about the time it takes to grab your cellphone out of your briefcase, for instance—before the alert was heard and the brakes were tapped. The system is speed-sensitive, allowing more time for your eyes to wander at slower speeds, so slowing to navigate a roundabout where your gaze leaves the primary attention zone to check oncoming traffic doesn’t bring unwanted alarms. But when the system goes on alert, it does get your attention.

DAWS monitors eyelids and eye movement, and sounds an alarm if it detects drowsiness. The frequency of blinking decreases with drowsiness, so the alarm can sound to wake the driver and advise a rest stop.

Arne Nabo, Saab’s chief ergonomicist in charge of developing the DAWS project, said the system could also automate personalized settings. Each person’s infrared facial images are unique, Nabo said, so the system could be used to automatically adjust seat, steering wheel and mirrors, and apply radio and telephone preferences as well as temperature and airflow settings. And in the event of a major crash, airbag deployment could be adjusted based on the driver’s head position.

Nabo says Saab has not decided when to offer DAWS on a production car, but it could be soon. “We know the system works,” Nabo says.

Source

Yeah I seen this on the News about 3 or 4 weeks ago. It's cool, but I think it would get irritating. It's too restricting. I like a bit of freedom, don't you?

Why would I need this? My eyes-on-the-road-system is called WIFE.

The WIFE system slaps me everytime my eyes wander off the road and gaze onto other things...

pupik
Why would I need this? My eyes-on-the-road-system is called WIFE.

The WIFE system slaps me everytime my eyes wander off the road and gaze onto other things...
Oh god, I haven't had a good laugh like this in a while. Sorry, but I found that hilarious. :lol:

Back