safety rating confusing

• Thread starter stalian87
  • 23 comments
Hi Guys,

It'll be great to get your thoughts on this but i understand that the Safety Rating is a calculation of how many corners you go trough with no incidents...well if my calculations are correct for a 20 lap racing with 1 incident on the 10th lap i should have got a safety rating boost of .70 as i went through the last 10 laps without an incident. there are 7 corners per lap...10x7=70
I only got a boost of .19 which doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me 💡

is that right or am i being a right idiot??

thanks for your responses!
Sal

I'm sure someone somewhere knows how it works, I can do a 30 lap TT with no incidents at all, the first time I will gain (+0.44) and the second time it will be (+0.07).

It's frustrating, and I wonder if anyone really does know just how it works.

really!? thats just a complete joke! That simply says to me that it's some stupid random calculation. there's got to be some kind of continuity in this safety rating calculation otherwise whats the point of even trying!

I'm sure someone somewhere knows how it works, I can do a 30 lap TT with no incidents at all, the first time I will gain (+0.44) and the second time it will be (+0.07).

It's frustrating, and I wonder if anyone really does know just how it works.

The .44 race was due to the fact that you passed a whole number. You actually scored .04 then the 'whole number bump' added .40 to make sure you don't drop back into your previous license level just because of a bad race or two.

Remember too, it's a running count. If you had an off in pre-race practice that off counts in the final race SR tally.
If you run 2x20 lap races and you only get 1 incident point on the last lap of the first race that race counts as 19 clean laps, and the second as 21.

Hi Guys,

It'll be great to get your thoughts on this but i understand that the Safety Rating is a calculation of how many corners you go trough with no incidents...well if my calculations are correct for a 20 lap racing with 1 incident on the 10th lap i should have got a safety rating boost of .70 as i went through the last 10 laps without an incident. there are 7 corners per lap...10x7=70
I only got a boost of .19 which doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me 💡

is that right or am i being a right idiot??

thanks for your responses!
Sal
I'm not at all sure of the formula for Sr (and remember, it gets harder to gain as you level up) but that is certainly incorrect.

Go to the iracing, go to reference, go to begginers guide and then the safety rating section. It all but completely explains how the safety system works, and what your incidents per race should be for each class to either move up or down.

It doesn't though explain the formula completley they use to determine your safety rating, but they do tell what incidents per race you need to move up and stay in classes.
Here is what it says your average incidents per race should be close to to be in each class.
rookie=9.1
d=6.2
c=4.1
b=2.8
a=1.8

So if you have an average of 9 incidents per race you will never get out of rookie and so on. This seems about right to me. i think im around 3-4 incidents per race and I'm having a hard time getting out of c class. i was at 3.94 and then dropped clear to 3.18 or something with like 4 or 5 bad races in a row.

I don't think the forumula works anything like the OP. I may be wrong but I don't think each corner is worth x amount of SR. i think it gets higher and higer the more clean corners you run. i think the 40th clean corner would be worth more then the first, but I'm not sure.

rookie=9.1
d=6.2
c=4.1
b=2.8
a=1.8

No way are those numbers right. I'm slightly under 4 average incidents per race in 2012, and I've got an A 4.xx license.

My rule of thumb is 4-5 incidents a race will probably hold you in an A license. Dunno about the others.

After reading House Champion's link it is very much a matter of corners completed safely divided by incidents, and it's my personal experiance that the SR seems higher in Races, then Qualifying then Time Trials.

I very much disliked trying to climb out of Rookie, I do believe they need to rethink the SR awards for that class as you have too many Oval / Road guys who go in to the class they dont care about to wreck you and blow off steam, if your all about Oval, the way I'm only concerned with Road, then you can go in to the other one, as a rookie, blow all your SR and it doesnt matter.

That seems to happen less than I like to believe (the alternative of course is bad driving on my part lol), but the system still has that flaw built in. I will say that a hard earned D-liscense is one you hold on to and protect more, so maybe the SR system as it stands has that much validity anyway. It's a contradictory supposition thats true, but it's a contradictory subject. :)

Everyone hated climbing out of rookie.

The secret they're trying to teach everyone there is to stop caring about where you finish and just drive safe. If you start from the pits and just cruise around at the back of the pack it's very, very hard not to gain SR. Frankly, I kind of like that it requires effort to get out of rookie. It means that people in D class and above are actually paying some sort of attention to their driving (mostly)

IMO, Oval rookie is much harder than Road rookie. Mistakes on ovals almost always take out at least two cars. On a road course at least half the time the guy just slides into a field by himself.

After reading House Champion's link it is very much a matter of corners completed safely divided by incidents, and it's my personal experiance that the SR seems higher in Races, then Qualifying then Time Trials.

Of course races count for more... that's the point. Driving with others in the context of a race is far more demanding than time trials and qualis so you are rewarded better for racing. That helps ensure that you are capable of driving safely with others.
The most I've gained from a TT is 0.06, but in a race it was .26 (not including whole # bump races).

If you could make it through the ranks by just running TT's you wouldn't necessarily be a safe driver at all when it comes to actually racing.

Yes, that was the point.

Cool 👍 It sounded like a question to me..
Ageed on the rookie ovals part too... tight tracks with street stocks is just nuts. The only rookie oval races I do are at Charlotte. I was in a race once though and got 8 incidents before the race even started as a driver kept rear ending me during the pace lap. I protested to iRacing and was basically told 'that's a shame' as my SR goes :( That's a serious SR Flaw I'd say....no idea if anything was done to the other driver as I wasn't really protesting him, rather the system.

Agreed, that is the worst part of the SR system, you will at least twice in a rookie carreer be run in to by someone who is on a SR destruction kick, sad really, and complaining from all I've read does less than no good, they seem pretty worried about not punishing anyone, not understanding I guess you already have been, and they reinforce it by letting it go.

It really hinders short ovals IMO - I'm sure in everyone's opinion. In RL there is a lot of rubbing in those races and there is no adjustment for that in iRacing.
I made a serious error trying to level up my rookie oval license during week 13. I had to wait for Charlotte to get back all the SR I lost at virtually every other track - and wound up starting from the pits a lot just to be safe. It worked, but was a little boring at times.

The more times you run a particular session the less value SR points seem to be. For example if you have never raced the Star Mazda around Zolder before and you manage to basically escape incident free you'll get a SR boost. But run it three or fours times with more incidences and you get penalised more.

SR doesn't reward consistent driving that's what iRating is for.
OP: If you find that your not getting as high SR gain, switch to another series preferably one you haven't competed in.

How many times you run a specific car or track doesn't matter. It's just corners per incident. It does get harder to gain SR, the better your license. If you noticed a boost, it was probably because your first race put you over a whole number for SR. For example, if you were at 2.94 and gained 0.1 SR on a race, you'd see your SR jump to 3.44. You get a 0.4 boost when you hit a whole number going up and a 0.4 drop going down.

The more times you run a particular session the less value SR points seem to be. For example if you have never raced the Star Mazda around Zolder before and you manage to basically escape incident free you'll get a SR boost. But run it three or fours times with more incidences and you get penalised more.

SR doesn't reward consistent driving that's what iRating is for.
OP: If you find that your not getting as high SR gain, switch to another series preferably one you haven't competed in.

This is not true. Any times you have noticed this are simply statistical anomalies.

This is not true. Any times you have noticed this are simply statistical anomalies.

It's the only consistent pattern that has happened to me. From rookie to A. :indiff:

It's the only consistent pattern that has happened to me. From rookie to A. :indiff:

I have noticed that too, and it isnt just happen-stance of where the laps and points fall, I can get a (+0.02) for 20 clean laps on one track, switch to another series I havent run yet that week on the new track and get (+0.18) for the same 20 clean laps. I know, corner counts vary, but not by that much, I'm not talking about a road course vs an oval track, I'm talking Summit point, Watkins Glen and Lime Rock.

I have noticed that too, and it isnt just happen-stance of where the laps and points fall, I can get a (+0.02) for 20 clean laps on one track, switch to another series I havent run yet that week on the new track and get (+0.18) for the same 20 clean laps. I know, corner counts vary, but not by that much, I'm not talking about a road course vs an oval track, I'm talking Summit point, Watkins Glen and Lime Rock.

The more you think about it the more confusing it gets lol.
When I was Rookie I found it roughly (+0.01) for every clean lap, however last series I had 3 incidences in a opening lap brain fade but managed to do the other 24 clean and copped a (-0.04).

I recommend you read the safety rating explained thread on the iRacing forums. It is simply corners per incident. And it only takes into account your last 10 or so races

What varies is the laps that you're pushing off the end of your license.

SR does not track all your laps since the beginning of time. It depends on the license, but I believe it counts something like the equivalent of about 10 races. Higher licenses have (generally) longer races, so this is reflecting in how many corners the license keeps track of.

Say you're doing a 200 corner race. Say your license tracks the last 2500 corners. You run those 200 corners incident free. But your SR gain will also depend on how many incidents were in the oldest 200 corners on your license, the 200 corners that are now discarded.

If those 200 corners also had no incidents, you will gain no SR. If those 200 corners were a race when you got 16 incidents, then you will gain a LOT of SR.

The gains when you first join rookie are huge, because you're starting with an effectively huge corner to incident ratio that is spread evenly across your license. There is initially no such thing as "pushing a good race off the end of your license", because you haven't had enough corners to fill the period your license records.

This is a slightly simplified view, there is also a weighting factor that means that recent corners influence your SR slightly more than older corners. This means that actually, if you run a perfect race you will always gain at least a small amount of SR. This isn't really that important for understanding the basic concept though.

But trying to read into things like changing series, cars, and tracks is folly. That is not how it works, and it has been confirmed that this isn't how it works. Read up the threads on the iRacing forums and you'll see just how much information there is on how SR (and iRating) work. They are both very well understood, if you want to know what is happening.

There are thousands of people playing iRacing. Statistically, there will be at least a few people out there who get lucky with SR increases every time they change series. It doesn't mean that's how the system works. See confirmation bias.

Honestly, it means little to me if you choose to believe this is what's happening. I'm simply trying to stop the propagation of false information to people who may not know any better. It's a complex system that works well over the long term but is obscure and difficult to fathom in the short term. I think it's important for people to understand what's going on so that they're not disheartened by seemingly backwards results.

Over any extended period of time, SR will show very accurately how safe a driver you are. The gain or loss from any one race tells almost nothing about how safe that particular race was.

I may have flawed logic, true, and certainly possible, but but it most certainly is not "false information" as my SR changes are happening as I stated they are. This isn't an isolated incident, it isn't 'once a week this funny thing happens', it happens very routinely. As I said, the reason it happens may be as you stated, the 2500 corners are coming together in such a way that I should better spend my time buying lotto tickets, or that iRacing is taking in to concideration more than just X= #(corners) / incidents squared or whatever.

The SR changes quite noticeably when you run in other license classes, and on tracks you havent run before, I'll stick by that observation as it is mine and I know what I have seen personaly, sorry to "falsley inform".

what varies is the laps that you're pushing off the end of your license.

Sr does not track all your laps since the beginning of time. It depends on the license, but i believe it counts something like the equivalent of about 10 races. Higher licenses have (generally) longer races, so this is reflecting in how many corners the license keeps track of.

Say you're doing a 200 corner race. Say your license tracks the last 2500 corners. You run those 200 corners incident free. But your sr gain will also depend on how many incidents were in the oldest 200 corners on your license, the 200 corners that are now discarded.

If those 200 corners also had no incidents, you will gain no sr. If those 200 corners were a race when you got 16 incidents, then you will gain a lot of sr.

The gains when you first join rookie are huge, because you're starting with an effectively huge corner to incident ratio that is spread evenly across your license. There is initially no such thing as "pushing a good race off the end of your license", because you haven't had enough corners to fill the period your license records.

This is a slightly simplified view, there is also a weighting factor that means that recent corners influence your sr slightly more than older corners. This means that actually, if you run a perfect race you will always gain at least a small amount of sr. This isn't really that important for understanding the basic concept though.

But trying to read into things like changing series, cars, and tracks is folly. That is not how it works, and it has been confirmed that this isn't how it works. Read up the threads on the iracing forums and you'll see just how much information there is on how sr (and irating) work. They are both very well understood, if you want to know what is happening.

There are thousands of people playing iracing. Statistically, there will be at least a few people out there who get lucky with sr increases every time they change series. It doesn't mean that's how the system works. See confirmation bias.

Honestly, it means little to me if you choose to believe this is what's happening. I'm simply trying to stop the propagation of false information to people who may not know any better. It's a complex system that works well over the long term but is obscure and difficult to fathom in the short term. I think it's important for people to understand what's going on so that they're not disheartened by seemingly backwards results.

Over any extended period of time, sr will show very accurately how safe a driver you are. The gain or loss from any one race tells almost nothing about how safe that particular race was.

+1.

Latest Posts

Back