Premium
United States
New York
saleen-china-1.jpg
saleen-china-2.jpg

saleen-china-4.jpg

saleen-china-3.jpg

saleen-china-4a.jpg

The U.S. tuner Saleen has been re-launched in China, they first tried in 2014 but that didn’t work out. This time they have a new Chinese partner and a brand new car: the Saleen S1, looking very much like the original Artega GT but with a longer tail. Artega GmbH, the current owner of the Artega brand, sold the know-how, the production facilities, and tools for the Artega GT to Saleen in 2015

Saleen and Jiangsu Secco announced a joint venture that will invest 17.8 billion yuan ($2.68 billion) in a new factory in Rugao in Jiangsu Province. This factory will manufacture the S1 for the Chinese, North American, and European markets. The local Jiangsu government will also invest in the deal. The joint venture will also be responsible for selling and marketing Saleen cars in China. During the ceremony, Saleen showed two S1’s, an S302 Mustang, and an older Mustang creation. S620 Camaro, and two heavily modified Lincoln MKZ sedans! The S1 and the Lincoln do not appear on Saleen’s website.

The Saleen S1 is called a ‘compact supercar’. It is mid-engined and carbon-fiber bodied. Power comes from a 2.3 liter four-cylinder turbo, good for 457 hp and 577 Nm, good for a 290 km/h top speed. Saleen said the S1 will have its North American debut on the Detroit Auto Show in December.
As stated above, they sold the know-how, the production facilities, and tools to Saleen that same year. They didn’t however sell the design, or at least not the exclusive right to the design. Last year Artega GmbH launched the Artega Scalo, an EV version of the Artega GT.

Saleen made a few changes at the rear of the vehicle. It has a longer tail, a longer rear overhang, and different rear window compared to the Artega GT. It also gained a big spoiler.

Saleen didn’t open the doors. The interior looks rather 2007 instead of 2017.

A beautiful rear end with a car-wide light and two fat exhaust pipes.
Carnewschina.com

Yeah it remnds me of the ZZII from the front and a Porsche from the back. It's not the prettiest car in the world but it has potential. Not certain what it is but from the side it looks a bit odd. Perhaps the nose is too long.

The car looks nice, until I see the profile and the rear end. The longer tail, longer overhang and big spoiler doesn't seem to fit the overall design of the car.

A 2.3L four cylinder turbo engine with 457 hp and 577 Nm sounds very appealing because of the lower road and other taxes.

It seems strange that Saleen is only selling this in China. Granted, it might be a good idea considering that if it bombs, or something fails, it won't filter over to the other side of the Pacific and besmirch the relatively good name Saleen has in Mustang kit cars and parts.

Front end looks horribly cheap, especially headlights.

But hey, it's a Chinese car, what else would you expect from it?

For some reason, I thought that Saleen had gone out of business a while after they released the S7.

Guess this proves me wrong. :boggled:

For some reason, I thought that Saleen had gone out of business a while after they released the S7.

Guess this proves me wrong. :boggled:

I mean, the Mustang tuning side of the business is continuing to be profitable and their calling card, and as long as they have that Ford Preferred Tuner label alongside Roush, they'll be fine.

We'll see if this pays their bills or not. Wonder where they got the capital to buy Artega?

The capital is coming from a Chinese company called the Jiangsu Saleen Automotive Technology Group

The capital is coming from a Chinese company called the Jiangsu Saleen Automotive Technology Group
Must be the only people still willing to do business with them. Heard many stories of them not paying their suppliers.

It's more like a Gemballa, Sbarro or AMG interior from the 80s. Yeah, that shift knob is horrible.
Maybe they should have ripped off the Ford GT design or the old Mark IV. This would have been a good chance to make something like the Garaiya.

Back