Sarthe 2005 (NC) vs. 2009 (NC)

• Thread starter Tim Voak
  • 3 comments
United States
Florida, USA
Having trouble locating any reference to the difference in length between these two orientations (8.44 miles vs. 8.43 miles). Can't see any noticeable difference that I can distinguish, so what am I missing that makes 2009 a few feet shorter than 2005?? :confused: Given the small difference in length I would suspect one of the smaller curves has been re-profiled but darned if I can locate it. Is it something to do with those blue painted sections?

Last edited:
Tim... I haven’t checked this, but could it be a slight difference in the start and finish line...? Or maybe the bus stops...

The 2009 orientation is shorter so I been looking for a corner that's been shaved. (BTW, NC = No Chicanes) I have a replay of a lap around each to compare so I don't need to keep running laps to search. I will keep looking. I haven't been very active since summer, wish I can get some more time in.

I figured it out, Now that my brothers not around to confuse me. There are 4 orientations of the circuit:
-
2005 (w/ chicane) 8.48 miles
2005 (no chicane) 8.44 miles
-
2009 (w/ chicane) 8.47 miles
2009 (no chicane) 8.43 miles
-
My brother wondered why the 2009 is always 1/10 mi. shorter than the 2005 version.
After the Start/Finish line there's the Pit Exit to the right followed by a bend to the right.
On the 2009 configuration, the bend to the right has been been moved farther to the right.
This shortens that curve to provide a larger run-off area to the left side of the racing circuit.
As a result, the Carnival and Commissary have been relocated to another area of the venue.
Some refer to this area of the circuit as the "Dunlop Curve" after the large tire over the track.
-
It's a part of the track we don't pay much attention to until someone points it out and then we're saying, "Oh yeah, the Carnival is missing and this does look a little different, I'm driving over ground where the Carnival used to be." So the 2009 version is a little easier and quicker than the 2005 version in that one area.

Last edited:
Back