Satellite to Aerial Advice

England
Manchester
stiggygonzalez
Hi, I would like a little advice on this...
My house has a satellite dish and therefore satellite leads/cables; but I want to connect my old Youview box which only has an aerial input. I have connected my youview box to a satellite lead in my room, albeit with inconsistent signal issues, and having to be very careful not move the tip of the cable, when moving around. But I can't do the same in my living room, with almost no signal.
I've looked around for separate connections like f-cable to coax (satellite to aerial) leads, and I'm wondering whether I should get something like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-mcx-plug-to-coax-socket-aerial-adapter-n62ln or just get an indoor aerial.

Your satellite dish is only picking up a signal by accident. You'd likely get just as much signal by sticking one end of a coaxial cable out of a window on the same side of your house as the dish. You'd be better off taking the dish off it's wall mount and using that bracket to attach a regular TV aerial - noting where other aerials in your area are pointing and copying that angle. But that all depends on how easy it is to get to.

That Maplin connector might do the job - it's cheap enough to give it a go, but if you get no signal downstairs, i doubt the connector would solve it. The signal is probably too weak to travel the, i assume, longer distance through the existing satellite cable from what it's picking up from the dish/length of cable outside.

Also if you have a sky dish and just want freesat channels, Ive got one of these, for the money its superb, HD channels, you can record to usb sticks...I can`t fault it..

A screenshot off when i recorded top gear on a stick..amazing quality..
top gear 12 june 2016.ts_snapshot_20.24_[2016.06.12_21.30.42].jpg

Your satellite dish is only picking up a signal by accident. You'd likely get just as much signal by sticking one end of a coaxial cable out of a window on the same side of your house as the dish. You'd be better off taking the dish off it's wall mount and using that bracket to attach a regular TV aerial - noting where other aerials in your area are pointing and copying that angle. But that all depends on how easy it is to get to.
I was amazed when it worked and recorded channels, but only on several, as the rest are very inconsistent.
That Maplin connector might do the job - it's cheap enough to give it a go, but if you get no signal downstairs, i doubt the connector would solve it. The signal is probably too weak to travel the, i assume, longer distance through the existing satellite cable from what it's picking up from the dish/length of cable outside.

I was amazed when it worked and recorded channels, but only on several, as the rest are very inconsistent.

Hmm, I might give it a go.:)
Does it work well most of the time, or do you sometimes get blackouts etc?

Also if you have a sky dish and just want freesat channels, Ive got one of these, for the money its superb, HD channels, you can record to usb sticks...I can`t fault it..

A screenshot off when i recorded top gear on a stick..amazing quality..
View attachment 606934

Looks good, but I'd like something that can record at least 2 channels at a time whilst watching a third.:)

Also, a question for everyone, why can't satellite recievers split the signal from one input (like an aerial) and record 2 channels?
That always puzzled me when trying to record 2 channels at a time on my sky box, (whilst watching a third) because it never could, but my youview box can.

Last edited:

Hmm, I might give it a go.:)
Does it work well most of the time, or do you sometimes get blackouts etc?

Looks good, but I'd like something that can record at least 2 channels at a time whilst watching a third.:)

Also, a question for everyone, why can't satellite recievers split the signal from one input (like an aerial) and record 2 channels?
That always puzzled me when trying to record 2 channels at a time on my sky box, (whilst watching a third) because it never could, but my youview box can.

Well the aerial I listed works for me fine, I also got two for my grandads house, it works perfect in the front room on one TV, but not so well on another TV he has...So not sure why, It might work for you or might not..

Satellite receivers can have 2 inputs,

Back