Sauber F1 Signs Tatiana Calderon as Test Driver for 2018 Season

How so, I don't see anyone discouraging and saying, they can't do it, I have seen people however state the realism of them making it and if that's discouragement then why bother trying anything ever? People need to know the reality of things so they can work toward their dream in a realistic fashion, by not telling them the reality of making it to F1 you've done a disservice.

I'm sure in certain parts of the world this may not be applicable. But in the nations that seem to particularly deal with racing and see drivers hail from those nation, I say all chance are equal, it's just less likely for a girl because again there seems to be a massive lack of interest. Kind of like me expecting a ice hockey player from Hawaii to make the pros, is it impossible? Nope, not at all. Is it very likely? No, because of various interest reasons.
Seeing your response i presume you are a white male male, from a western country? Being a minority in a predominately white society you "perceive" a lot more, what the dominant culture simply can not see. And im confident most minorities (especially from another race) can pick at least one experience where they were treated differently because of their origin and it impacted them negatively. Depending on the person this most probably will discourage a lot of people, but ofcourse can motivate a lot of people.

In male dominate professions, girls are always discouraged at an early age, either by their own parents or friends. This is not neccesarily intentional though. Girls are more encouraged to learn to dance, sing etc. Where boys are encouraged to do sports etc. But like i said society is changing, but it is still there!

Seeing your response i presume you are a white male male, from a western country? Being a minority in a predominately white society you "perceive" a lot more, what the dominant culture simply can not see. And im confident most minorities (especially from another race) can pick at least one experience where they were treated differently because of their origin and it impacted them negatively. Depending on the person this most probably will discourage a lot of people, but ofcourse can motivate a lot of people.

In male dominate professions, girls are always discouraged at an early age, either by their own parents or friends. This is not neccesarily intentional though. Girls are more encouraged to learn to dance, sing etc. Where boys are encouraged to do sports etc. But like i said society is changing, but it is still there!

Nope not a white male, some of us who actually know we're different than the majority don't use it as a crux to justify why we didn't "succeed" where others did. And I find it interesting that you'd use that angle to disingenuously brush an argument aside. Even if I was white I don't see why that would allow me any less say, since there are plenty of white people that have struggled to achieve where other white people haven't.

I don't see any one of importance in the governing bodies, race teams, and sponsors who are actively frowning on women in Motorsports, if anything it is something that over the last decade has picked up more and more steam. Interest factors are typically why people of any gender or differing culture, race, religion, etc. decide to do or not do something. I find it interesting that race drivers themselves who have daughters tend to promote and cultivate racing, and don't discourage it. I find it a trope that should be backed up, on whether or not parents lean girls toward singing and dance (don't fully believe that since that are plenty of male singers and dancers). Also if boys are encouraged to do sports, then why it there a multitude of sports for girls equivalent to what boys do?

I'd say pop culture is more defining and keeping tropes alive that people don't necessarily believe themselves, as well as reshaping them. If a girl (like a boy as well) is never surrounded or introduced to racing, I'd safely expect them not to do it. And by further extension since racing is people limited to begin with and more so between genders, I'd expect the likelihood of her friends or a female mentor introducing to be just as slim. Thus how do girls gain an interest in racing if they have no one to spark said interest. Sure not all people need a person to help drive that interest. However, it tends to be why some people pick the certain hobbies or likes they have.

Last edited:
Back