Save corruption is worryingly common

United States
They/Them
Autumnal_Glow
AutumnalGlow
Every day, more and more people pop up in here with issues of their save being corrupted in some way. Their game crashes or they lose connection and suddenly their credits are locked at 0, or they can't buy or receive cars anymore, or they can't race. Whatever car they were receiving, or whatever happened to their credit count, is a permanent issue with this save file. Switching consoles won't help, because GT7 is an always online game where the career save file is intentionally identical no matter where you play.

Polyphony is aware of this, but can they fix it?
Should we even be playing, with this constant risk of our save files becoming useless at no fault of our own?

Every day, more and more people pop up in here with issues of their save being corrupted in some way. Their game crashes or they lose connection and suddenly their credits are locked at 0, or they can't buy or receive cars anymore, or they can't race. Whatever car they were receiving, or whatever happened to their credit count, is a permanent issue with this save file. Switching consoles won't help, because GT7 is an always online game where the career save file is intentionally identical no matter where you play.

Polyphony is aware of this, but can they fix it?
Should we even be playing, with this constant risk of our save files becoming useless at no fault of our own?
Yeah my game has been really buggy today. My used car / legendary car dealership is all empty showing no cars. My showcase is infinitely loading. My cars livery's have disappeared only to show up after re-booting the game / system. Currently re-installing the game. Hopefully this fixes itself 😅

I had this issue, liveries not showing up,

Deleted the temporary data files and it fixed it 👍
Thank you! That's why my liveries not show up in my garage and in the race. I'll do that later.

Last edited:
so whats the answer or advice - do we carry on expecting the console to save or is it best doing the cloud based ? any advice on cloud based route please ?

so whats the answer or advice - do we carry on expecting the console to save or is it best doing the cloud based ? any advice on cloud based route please ?
You don't have a choice. The save file is stored on either Polyphony's or Sony's servers. Any changes made, like winning money from a race or buying a car, must be verified by the server and updated on their end too. There is no way around this.

You don't have a choice. The save file is stored on either Polyphony's or Sony's servers. Any changes made, like winning money from a race or buying a car, must be verified by the server and updated on their end too. There is no way around this.
so if people experience issues like stated is our ps5`s or their end that's the problem with lost data ? im prob wrong in thinking then theres something in the ps5 thats saves stuff ? like a PC where you can have a backup hard drive

so if people experience issues like stated is our ps5`s or their end that's the problem with lost data ? im prob wrong in thinking then theres something in the ps5 thats saves stuff ? like a PC where you can have a backup hard drive
The corruption can happen anywhere, the issue is that the server will store the corrupted save file unless you contact Polyphony to have them fix it. The PS5 can and does store save data. It does for GT7 too. However, this game will not let you change anything in this save file without first verifying it with the server and updating it there too. This is not true for most singleplayer games, where the save file is only local with an option to upload to Sony's cloud service, but you do not need to be connected to play.

If you were to change consoles, your save file would be automatically downloaded from their server.

I've been having a bug in my game where GT Auto won't save and upload. It gets stuck at 33%, bounces back to 30% then gets stuck at 33% forcing me to either wait 30 minutes for it to time out or restart the game. I didn't have this issue until the June update. It's beyond frustrating that they made this game online only and that something stupidly simple requires things to be uploaded to their **** servers instead of being saved locally.

Hi. I Don't want to derail this thread but I have a question to ask please.
I Use two PS4's at different locations to play GT7. I Saw that GT7 is available at a discount in the PS Store.
I Have a disc version so I bought a digital version so that I don't have to travel around with the disc to play
between the two locations. As far as I know the game data is stored on the PS so why bother with a disc then.
I Get a message that says I have to delete the disc version first and then install the digital version to work.
Will doing this effect my game save or will it just load and continue where I left off ?

Hi. I Don't want to derail this thread but I have a question to ask please.
I Use two PS4's at different locations to play GT7. I Saw that GT7 is available at a discount in the PS Store.
I Have a disc version so I bought a digital version so that I don't have to travel around with the disc to play
between the two locations. As far as I know the game data is stored on the PS so why bother with a disc then.
I Get a message that says I have to delete the disc version first and then install the digital version to work.
Will doing this effect my game save or will it just load and continue where I left off ?
You can delete the disc version. I've changed PS5's and it just downloads the save from Sony. Though I never had the disc version. (Not bought a game on disc for over a decade!)

So my Helmet and Suit liveries that are not ready (published) which are the ones in the Livery Editor section have been DISAPPEARING for some months now and like randomly... Could it be due to a corrupt file? Or just deleting temporary files will fix it?
I thought about making a backup and restoring but I'm afraid that not just my published liveries would be erased (maybe not since they are officially shared with the community) but also my other liveries (cars in livery editor are OK for now but not sure if they could be erased)....
How to contact PD? Can't find an easy route to ask for their help...
Also any suggestion of how could I fix this issue?
Thanks

Back