Saving data prompt

• Thread starter sanpanico
  • 5 comments
When you first load the game, you get a prompt in the lower right hand corner which says "Saving data...", then once the GT Life screen loads I wait while the game is "Saving data..." again. Then once you choose a race I wait while the game is "Saving data..." again.

All this adds up to about 20 seconds. Obviously not much time, however the impatient person in me wonders why all this saving at each point? I wondered this about GT4 as well. Anyone have an answer? Anyone...anyone...Bueller?

The "Saving Data..." prompt appears before the Main Menu loads (where you select GT Life/Arcade Mode/options etc). Then I select GT Life and the login bonus alert appears, so I press X and I see the "Saving Data..." prompt again. After that it's only the usual triggers that cause the "Saving Data..." prompt to appear again:
-- switching cars
-- buying a car
-- exiting a race event
-- exiting the online community/racing
-- performing anything in GTAuto
-- major upgrades in the Tune Shop
-- changing certain things (sound/video settings) in the options menu
-- a few other triggers I can't think of right now
and of course
-- saving data

The only thing you describe that seems unusual is, I don't think the system should be saving data when you select a race event, only after you exit the event. Hope this helps... Bueller.

Let me preface this post by saying I don't really mind GT5's loading times

But they are laughable.

When I put the game on for my nephews they can barely sit sill long enough. From ps3-on to in - car ingame is several minutes. In contrast to GT1 and 2 which have effectively zero loading times. A bit of a regression if you ask me.

And yes the amount of times the game saves is redonculous. HOWEVER with how often this game freezes, I'm glad it saves so much, tunes and cars arent lost so frequently

sanpanico
When you first load the game, you get a prompt in the lower right hand corner which says "Saving data...", then once the GT Life screen loads I wait while the game is "Saving data..." again. Then once you choose a race I wait while the game is "Saving data..." again.

All this adds up to about 20 seconds. Obviously not much time, however the impatient person in me wonders why all this saving at each point? I wondered this about GT4 as well. Anyone have an answer? Anyone...anyone...Bueller?

I think some of the "saving data" prompts are actually signifying that the game is writing data (ie; cache) to the hard drive. Some of them are adding things to your save file, the more obvious ones like when you did something in-game.

Thanks for the responses all around lads! 👍

@DXGR- "LeeLoo Multipass"? I guess Jordan too is a fan of "The Fifth Element"!

@seanneedscar- I like your sig. 👍 I do believe "Sandinista" is one of my favourite records.

I believe that the very first "Saving Data" notification on loading the game is GT5 making the backup save. The game checks to see if the save file loaded and is not corrupt and at that point makes the backup save. I recently had a corrupt save file due to copying the save from a USB thumb drive to the PS3. When the game detected that the save was corrupt it prompted me about restoring the backup file. I let it and everything progressed as normal. A lot of the saving comes after changes made such as buying/selling/sending/deleting an item/car. I believe there's a two fold reason for this. 1: PD doesn't want to deal with customers complaining about losing items due to insufficient saving and 2: PD wants to eliminate or cut down on duping of items/cars.

Sark

Latest Posts

Back