School assessment:Is Nascar racing on Gran turimso 5 for kids!

  • Thread starter Thread starter ShootDaCar
  • 21 comments
  • 1,455 views

Is NASCAR racing for kid's aged 5-14 or more mature people?

  • People Un-mature or younger?

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • People older and mature

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Other (post below)

    Votes: 15 51.7%

  • Total voters
    29
Messages
1,436
New Zealand
New Zealand
Messages
Shoot_Da_Car
Messages
ROTA DRIFTER
Hey guys and girls of GTPlanet, I am doing a Math assessment and I have decided to do something Game related.

This is for math class not personal use.

Question:
Is NASCAR racing on GT5 for kids?
e.g people aged 5-13 rather then adults 16 upward?

This is for school not my own personal option.

Thanks SDC.
 
Having been through High school, this has me somewhat puzzled: How does a math assessment tie in with age targeting?

As for a quick reply to make this post on topic, as the game itself is rated G, all aspects are suitable for those under the age of 15, however, if we're taking a more skill requirement type approach, I still cant see why it wouldnt be suitable.
 
Having been through High school, this has me somewhat puzzled: How does a math assessment tie in with age targeting?

As for a quick reply to make this post on topic, as the game itself is rated G, all aspects are suitable for those under the age of 15, however, if we're taking a more skill requirement type approach, I still cant see why it wouldnt be suitable.

Statistics..... Need various results, Probably not the best thing to do it on but anyway.

Cheers for the reply.👍
 
I'm 28 if it helps...
Even though I love Dirty NASCAR, I'd say thats more in the under 15 group.
Now as far as clean 50-100+ lap races with tire ware etc... Grown folks racing.
 
Hey. i'm 26.

I'd like to give some advice, I hope it helps. You should be clearer if you are discriminating between ages (5-14, etc.), which would be quantitative, or maturity levels, which would be a more qualitative term. I also think you should further discriminate the options. Maybe a "kid" segment (5-14), a teenager\young adult segment (15-25), a adult segment (26-40 or 50) and an "aged" segment (51+). That would give you more results and better conclusions.

Right now, I would say the game developers intended it to be more directed to a 12 to 30 target group. I voted "other" in the poll.

Good luck for the assigment, I hope you get a good grade.
 
Voted other. Age and maturity in this particular case is not dependent on each other. I'm currently 17, but I've done online racing for an amount of time now. I've raced people at least twice as old in online lobbies that were but half as mature racing-wise, including but not limited to using peoples cars as brakes and steering. If your question was which group of people spell worse, cry over a fair overtake (or go OMG WTF HAHA LOL specifically that way when they wreck you as if it was the crappiest Need For Burnout ever) and then shout in supersonic over their mics, age might've been a good indicator. But not when it comes to racing itself.
 
Hey. i'm 26.

I'd like to give some advice, I hope it helps. You should be clearer if you are discriminating between ages (5-14, etc.), which would be quantitative, or maturity levels, which would be a more qualitative term. I also think you should further discriminate the options. Maybe a "kid" segment (5-14), a teenager\young adult segment (15-25), a adult segment (26-40 or 50) and an "aged" segment (51+). That would give you more results and better conclusions.

Right now, I would say the game developers intended it to be more directed to a 12 to 30 target group. I voted "other" in the poll.

Good luck for the assigment, I hope you get a good grade.

Cheers:tup: As its 3:30 am, Were I live I will look into and change my poll tomorrow if its possible.

Voted other. Age and maturity in this particular case is not dependent on each other. I'm currently 17, but I've done online racing for an amount of time now. I've raced people at least twice as old in online lobbies that were but half as mature racing-wise, including but not limited to using peoples cars as brakes and steering. If your question was which group of people spell worse, cry over a fair overtake (or go OMG WTF HAHA LOL specifically that way when they wreck you as if it was the crappiest Need For Burnout ever) and then shout in supersonic over their mics, age might've been a good indicator. But not when it comes to racing itself.

Cheers.👍
 
Just curious why you picked NASCAR as your target here? From what I have seen and experienced in my nearly 3 years with the game, drifting and drag racing would be much more fitting of your age range given. When I used to host NASCAR rooms, I rarely ran into any people in the age range given. Even when I used to go room hunting, still didn't see very many people in that age range in NASCAR rooms.

As far as your question and is it for kids of that age range, I would have to give that a big no. NASCAR is for whoever wants to play it and it is definitely not targeted to any specific age range. The game itself should really be your target here and not a particular part of it. The way I see it, NASCAR was included in the game and aimed towards NASCAR fans, not a particular age range. Your question just doesn't make any sense to me. It sounds to me like you're relating NASCAR as being easy just because they mostly race on ovals and in turn, that's easy enough for kids in that age range. If that's your reasoning in picking NASCAR for this poll, your dead wrong. Take one of these cars on a road course with RH tires and then ask your question again. Not taking a shot at you, just really baffled as to why you think that NASCAR was aimed at a specific age range or why you picked NASCAR in general as your subject for this poll.
 
In my opinion NASCAR, in GT, is not for the category "minors/kids" nor the category "mature/adults". It's for everybody, if they like it :).
 
In my opinion NASCAR, in GT, is not for the category "minors/kids" nor the category "mature/adults". It's for everybody, if they like it :).

^^ Agreed ^^

Changing your race settings & tune can make it more suited to either kids or adults depending on how much of a challenge you want.
 
It depends very heavily on if the racing is Dirty or Clean. Clean racing on RH tires takes maturity and skill. Dirty is well dirty and you do what ever to get by.
 
I'm 14 and do not like joining a NASCAR lobby to discover it is full of other kids who may attempt to race clean but simply have no clue on how to race properly. For example, there was a 20 or so lap race that had two kids in it, one about 12/13 and the other around 7/8. The younger of the two attempted to bumpdraft me, however he did this in a weaving violently from high to low fashion. This ended with me and him ending up way in the infield. However, I find that many older drivers struggle to understand NASCAR, and do the same thing of violently weaving from high to low, and many dive below the yellow line and attempt the same immature 'bumpdrafting'. I think that the mentality of many that NASCAR is 'just turning left', especially with somewhat stubborn kids, make NASCAR an easy excuse to drive erratically and have a laugh. I get really frustrated when what should be a good race turns into NASCAR haters staging a high speed demolition derby with no skill shown.
 
Well. This is hard. Theres many lobbies that are full of kids that cant drive etc... The only legit ones are on GTP. But ill say its for Grown Men.
 
just wanted to say that there are shirts and backpacks and stuff for 5 year olds with nascar, but then nascar originated for rednecks... i like it, im a kid :)
 
It really varies as to maturity, as well as interest. I don't mind doing the NASCAR races for career, but just for fun? No thanks. I've never had too much interest in any circle or oval track racing, therefore I don't think it belongs in a touring/ road racing game ("simulator"). But, I digress... Interest is what counts, you might even be better off going by (using the US as an example) States, as well as rural/ suburban/ urban. You're less likely to find die-hard NASCAR fans in the city as you would be to find them in a more rural area/ upbringing. Age doesn't have much to do with it, although younger persons are more influenced by older people, therefore (IMHO) would be more likely to want to play NASCAR to be in a positive light to their role models.

Sorry, it makes sense in my head. I'm 23 btw
 
Baltimore212
just wanted to say that there are shirts and backpacks and stuff for 5 year olds with nascar, but then nascar originated for rednecks... i like it, im a kid :)

Moonshiners not Rednecks get it right. You kids dont even know where NASCAR came from... (for the young ones) Who is a famous NASCAR driver from a not so famous city in GA?
 
Moonshiners not Rednecks get it right. You kids dont even know where NASCAR came from... (for the young ones) Who is a famous NASCAR driver from a not so famous city in GA?

You got it. I've been following NASCAR since I was like 6 years old, now 47. I have always lived near MIS and have met many, many drivers and NASCAR affiliated people. Even won a ride along with Rusty Wallace back in the day. Even drank a few beers with Johnny Benson and Elliott Sadler one time and also had the pleasure of having a pretty long conversation with Kyle Busch. So yea, NASCAR has been a big part of my life for most of it. 👍
 
I get, What you are all saying, It is for everyone, I guess, I really didn't think this one threw properly. So I have decided to possibly make a new thread for Drifting dragging and racing but, I really would not now, How I could put that into a Cat and mouse chart/table witch is generally something you put your data in, When you have worked out the mean, medium, mode, range and the quarterile's( I think) But I think, I can probably get away with out doing the cat and mouse chart. Any ideas on what else, I can do this on?
 
I get, What you are all saying, It is for everyone, I guess, I really didn't think this one threw properly. So I have decided to possibly make a new thread for Drifting dragging and racing but, I really would not now, How I could put that into a Cat and mouse chart/table witch is generally something you put your data in, When you have worked out the mean, medium, mode, range and the quarterile's( I think) But I think, I can probably get away with out doing the cat and mouse chart. Any ideas on what else, I can do this on?

whoa...watch the english dude!

If you want to shoot big, I would not limit myself to just GT5. I would hit up some Sony rep and ask if they have data on general age distribution of gamers altogether and then split it up into regional and age comparisons, possibly even evolution by the years. Sony definitely has data for this, so asking the right questions and giving the right reasons (i.e. school project) should get you somewhere. I bet multiple gaming magazines also have data on stuff like this. Just be sure to cite your sources, not recognizing intellectual property is no trivial offense.
 
whoa...watch the english dude!

If you want to shoot big, I would not limit myself to just GT5. I would hit up some Sony rep and ask if they have data on general age distribution of gamers altogether and then split it up into regional and age comparisons, possibly even evolution by the years. Sony definitely has data for this, so asking the right questions and giving the right reasons (i.e. school project) should get you somewhere. I bet multiple gaming magazines also have data on stuff like this. Just be sure to cite your sources, not recognizing intellectual property is no trivial offense.

Cheers, But how would I go trying to find sony reps?
 
I don't know what your assignment is, but if you want a lot of data to crunch you could always make a graph of the results in one of the seasonal time trials. There's a lot of data to be collected there. Perhaps you can make some statistics of how many were 0-1 second slower than the winner, how many were 1-2 seconds slower, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 etc... I think you'll find some interesting results around the gold time.

http://www.mygranturismo.net/rankings.php?sec=3&board=143
 
I don't know what your assignment is, but if you want a lot of data to crunch you could always make a graph of the results in one of the seasonal time trials. There's a lot of data to be collected there. Perhaps you can make some statistics of how many were 0-1 second slower than the winner, how many were 1-2 seconds slower, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 etc... I think you'll find some interesting results around the gold time.

http://www.mygranturismo.net/rankings.php?sec=3&board=143

Wow....Now this is interesting, I have to go to school now. I will be back after of course.
 
Back