Sci-Fi channel as investigative reporters?

  • Thread starter Thread starter STFan
  • 2 comments
  • 480 views
Messages
10
Sci-Fi channel as investigative reporters?


By now you've heard the news about the Sci-Fi Channel and their litigation to have the government open up some classified information. This obviously blurs the line between what is generally accepted as an "entertainment media company" and that of a respected "news" organizations. But no big deal, as the "networks" have been doing this for years.

I wonder, however. The news media (crappy as they are) have a vested interest in reporting the story in a way their viewing audience wants to see and hear. Assuming that holds true for the Sci-Fi Channel, will you get good and skeptical reporting?
 
No comments?
(The last post was referring to the UFO report)
 
Are you talking about the Bryant Gumboldt (SP?) thing I saw advertized? The subject matter of this alleged "serious journalistic piece" proves that entertainment value factors in as much as facts. Sci-fi wouldn't run a piece on, say, women's rights in sub-Saharan Africa. They know what their viewers want to hear about and expect.

As far as this so-called quality you're concerned about goes... this is not a new issue, and I wonder the same thing no matter where I get news on any subject from. It's the job of the viewer to discern facts and analyze them. Even then any conclusion is dubious.

I do plan to catch that special.
 
Back