Scoring system on GT6?

• Thread starter SVPSkins
  • 12 comments
United Kingdom
Wilmslow, Cheshire
SVPSkins
Came someone please explain to me how the scoring system for drifting in GT6 works?

I'm doing the Rally Drift seasonal using my Nissan 240RS and I can't for the life of me, better my score of 8373, which was set with my Audi S1 Rally car on my first run.

Now I'm using a RWD car perfect for drifting and I'm doing apex to apex just as i did with the Audi but the scoring is so random.

First corner for example. I get the rear out, take the racing line clip the apex and drift out and hit the second apex with the rear left wheel, yet only score 400, then i do it again, not going as fast nor taking as much apex, nor have i the angle and im getting over 1600 points? yet i do the second run again exactly the same and only score just over 500 points? Huh:confused: :mad:

I seriously don't understand the system PD use for these seasonal events.

1. Get extremely sideways
2. Stay on the racing line
3. Keep the RPMs as high as possible to keep the wheels spinning as fast as possible. The higher the gear and RPM, the better.

It's a highly flawed system.

ok thank you and yes it is very flawed.

In Drift Trials, drifts are awarded points according to the following criteria:

Drift Angle

Drifts are judged according to the angle of the car relative to the ideal racing line for cars which grip the track normally. If your drift angle is too high, it will be deemed a spin, and your points for the drift will be reset.​

Distance from the Racing Line

You will be judged according to how far you strayed from the ideal racing line for cars which grip the track normally. The farther you are away from the racing line, the more points you will lose.
Speed

You will be judged on the speed of your car during the drift. The higher your speed, the more points you will earn.​

Duration

You will be judged on the duration of the drift. Sustain a drift that scores highly according to the three criteria above, and the number of points you earn will increase rapidly.
Extratced from here.

In Drift Trials, drifts are awarded points according to the following criteria:

Drift Angle

Drifts are judged according to the angle of the car relative to the ideal racing line for cars which grip the track normally. If your drift angle is too high, it will be deemed a spin, and your points for the drift will be reset.​

Distance from the Racing Line

You will be judged according to how far you strayed from the ideal racing line for cars which grip the track normally. The farther you are away from the racing line, the more points you will lose.
Speed

You will be judged on the speed of your car during the drift. The higher your speed, the more points you will earn.​

Duration

You will be judged on the duration of the drift. Sustain a drift that scores highly according to the three criteria above, and the number of points you earn will increase rapidly.
Extratced from here.
That makes sense, but it just seems to choose at random to, and to not, use those criteria. Sometimes it will just stop counting altogether in the middle of a good drift. It is very strange, and I have found that the racing line thing really doesn't seem applicable, because, I know for a fact that on certain tracks, it is simply better to stay in the middle of the track. I am not kidding, but what can you do?

You could forget about points and just enjoy drifting... :D

Thing is, everybody knows it's flawed, I don't see why people seek to get maximum points in such a system instead of just having a tandem after a hard day at work or school for example...

Getting high points doesn't really mean you're an amazing drifter, it just means you're very good at manipulating the system, knowing exactly what line to take and @ the perfect angle that the game wants you to get on each track...

I don't know, drifting is different for everybody I suppose.

For me it's more of an interactive thing, i.e tandems, for others they could happily just play by themselves and watch the point ticker go up, but not really my cup of coffee...

Last edited:

Thing is, everybody knows it's flawed, I don't see why people seek to get maximum points in such a system instead of just having a tandem after a hard day at work or school for example...

Getting high points doesn't really mean you're an amazing drifter, it just means you're very good at manipulating the system, knowing exactly what line to take and @ the perfect angle that the game wants you to get on each track...

For me it's more of an interactive thing, i.e tandems, for others they could happily just play by themselves and watch the point ticker go up, but not really my cup of coffee...

I agree, off course. I would just like to add this:
Reverse eeeeeentryyyy. 0 Points.
That's it.

I just like to improve that's all but I've settled for the 8373. It's well over the Gold points, so its not like I've failed or anything.

I know what you mean about drifting and socializing, but people like me dont have good enough internet to go online all of the time, and if we could, it wouldnt be good enough to tandem anyway because we would always look like we are all over the place.

I do like simply drifting, but doing it on your own all of the time with nothing to compare it to but points is exactly why I wouldnt mind it being a little better. But ah well, I still enjoy it.

Turn on the racing line and it'll show you where it wants you to go, I understand this isn't the ideal drifting line but even in real life drift contests are graded by how close to a certain predetermined line and clipping points you can run regardless of whether you think this is the right line or not. It requires the same kind of precision and basic skill sets and you are graded as such.
Admittedly the angle sensing could do with some work but its impossible for a computer to judge style, they can only say whether it fit the programmed criteria or not

Some things that I find help with getting points: Turn on the driving line and keep your front bumper glued to it, use a heavy car (1500KG will do) with LOTS of torque(usually you want over 750ft lbs), go as fast as possible with as much angle as the game wants you to get, don't go over that angle or you'll stop getting points. Older American cars are great for points.
Anyways, I'd much rather be glued to another car than the driving line but I'm a bit above average with points. Hope this helps someone.

Back