Scrap Qualifying???

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Instead have one race where it takes your average lap times of Race 1 using them to qualify for Race 2, you get points for each race and people trying to exploit the system in Race 1 by driving slower loose positions / points and have to go quicker in Race 2 to make them up.
The problem with the current system is people either don’t qualify or set slower lap times because they know they can take easy wins by dwarfing the slower field of drivers because they can’t match their race pace.
I keep getting put alongside players that are 3-5seconds quicker than me, what’s the point??? I’m no competition to them, i’d rather be battling against players that have the same race pace as me, than that one monster lap that I or them pulled out in qualifying.

The grids are decided by SR them DR. Qualifying times just sort the order people start. Those ratings need to do a better job of reflecting people's pace because resets for dirty driving make it too easy to cheat the system.

The grids are decided by SR them DR. Qualifying times just sort the order people start. Those ratings need to do a better job of reflecting people's pace because resets for dirty driving make it too easy to cheat the system.

So if you want the Wins Trophy it’s best to be a dirty bastard with a lower SR?

So if you want the Wins Trophy it’s best to be a dirty bastard with a lower DR?
You don't have to be dirty, it can be done without affecting anyone else's race. Just drive around at the back and do some short cuts and wall rubs to lower SR and DR.

It's not my cup of tea though to be honest, I don't care about the trophy.

So if you want the Wins Trophy it’s best to be a dirty bastard with a lower DR?

Yes, especially with lower SR.

Matchmaking has nothing to do with qualifying, it works like this

Collect all drivers in 90-99 SR range.
Sort on DR score.
Create rooms, highest DR first, until there are not enough drivers left to fill the room.

Collect all drivers in 80-89 SR range.
Sort on DR score.
Complete the last room with the highest DR drivers from this selection.
Create more rooms, highest DR first, until there are not enough drivers left to fill the room.

The obvious flaw in this system is that the lowest DR drivers of the higher SR range will get to race the highest DR drivers of a lower SR bracket. This can lead to some extreme cases where an A+/S (in 80-89 range) driver starts in front of an otherwise fully D/S (90-99) room.

So even lowering your SR a little bit will give you a good chance to become the fast driver in front of much slower drivers. (with higher SR)

Another flaw is the way SR is determined. Any contact costs SR. Naturally the risk of contact is much higher in the middle of the pack. Hence the fastest drivers will always easily restore their SR by driving out front. While the slowest drivers, driving all the way in the back will also have it easier to gain SR. Hence the max 99 SR rooms often turn into a mismatched A+/S to D/S affair. Lower SR tend to have much more balanced DR rooms.

In conclusion, the lower your SR and DR, the easier the competition. It pays to be a dirty bastard, either you get away with it or you get easier races.

I definitely wouldn't like to see qualifying scrapped, it's a good feature and just a staple of motorsport in general. Plus you can keep working and improving your time throughout the week as & when you come to it, as well as being able to see what other top people are able to do, therefore helping you to increase your skill at each track.

I'd rather see wheels & controllers be split into different lobbies, before I saw qualifying get scrapped. The population is large enough to fragment it anyway and I'd rather know that the person I'm racing has equal hardware, and not an inherent advantage with hardware that I don't have.

But it is what it is.

I definitely wouldn't like to see qualifying scrapped, it's a good feature and just a staple of motorsport in general. Plus you can keep working and improving your time throughout the week as & when you come to it, as well as being able to see what other top people are able to do, therefore helping you to increase your skill at each track.

I'd rather see wheels & controllers be split into different lobbies, before I saw qualifying get scrapped. The population is large enough to fragment it anyway and I'd rather know that the person I'm racing has equal hardware, and not an inherent advantage with hardware that I don't have.

But it is what it is.

But the problem is in setting a good lap, the majority of people can’t maintain their qualifying lap time in a race, which is why I said to take an average of the lap times from race 1 and they’ll always be races where you not on your A game due to fatigue or time of day, I know I struggle harder in the late night FIA races or lobbies vs daily morning to afternoon races.

Last edited:
But the problem is in setting a good lap, the majority of people can’t maintain their qualifying lap time in a race, which is why I said to take an average of the lap times from race 1 and they’ll always be races where you not on your A game due to fatigue or time of day, I know I struggle harder in the late night FIA races or lobbies vs daily morning to afternoon races.

But average lap times change constantly depending on the type of race you're in and where you start.

If you're at the front, chances are you're not getting slower average laps than those battling behind, i can only assume it'd also be an unnecessary amount of back end work for something which probably won't be as good as the tried method that has been in motorsport for decades.

Saying " the majority" of people can't maintain their qualifying lap in a race is a weird statement. Because there's no way to know how much slower a person is off their qually time in a race, for the first race or so of the day I'm usually a second off, until I get my eye in then i can do qually times, or similar, sometimes even faster than my qually lap.

I honestly can't see what the issue is with qualifying, and the system you're suggesting sounds like it'd be more complicated, which is something that most people don't want in their life, more complications :lol:

If people gaming the SR system so they can race against lesser opponents is something you see a lot, then surely you need to get your SR up & get yourself into those top level lobbies where the races are mostly fast people going all out within seconds of each other for an entire race.

Plus when you get into those high lobbies you soon realise that wins don't matter that much, its mainly for the trophies.

But average lap times change constantly depending on the type of race you're in and where you start.

If you're at the front, chances are you're not getting slower average laps than those battling behind, i can only assume it'd also be an unnecessary amount of back end work for something which probably won't be as good as the tried method that has been in motorsport for decades.

Saying " the majority" of people can't maintain their qualifying lap in a race is a weird statement. Because there's no way to know how much slower a person is off their qually time in a race, for the first race or so of the day I'm usually a second off, until I get my eye in then i can do qually times, or similar, sometimes even faster than my qually lap.

I honestly can't see what the issue is with qualifying, and the system you're suggesting sounds like it'd be more complicated, which is something that most people don't want in their life, more complications :lol:

If people gaming the SR system so they can race against lesser opponents is something you see a lot, then surely you need to get your SR up & get yourself into those top level lobbies where the races are mostly fast people going all out within seconds of each other for an entire race.

Plus when you get into those high lobbies you soon realise that wins don't matter that much, its mainly for the trophies.

The method is broken though nowadays the midfield have no chance of catching up unless mistakes are made, the top 3 teams can qualify last and still make it into the top 5 by the end of the race.
Driver skill plays little to no part anymore, it’s purely the car pace which is why we see so many pay drivers.
Imagine Hamilton in a midfield team his win record would be near 0 so he plays safe by being in the same team, because he’s knows that’s the only chance he has of ever winning.

The method is broken though nowadays the midfield have no chance of catching up unless mistakes are made, the top 3 teams can qualify last and still make it into the top 5 by the end of the race.
Driver skill plays little to no part anymore, it’s purely the car pace which is why we see so many pay drivers.
Imagine Hamilton in a midfield team his win record would be near 0 so he plays safe by being in the same team, because he’s knows that’s the only chance he has of ever winning.

Oh you're talking about F1, I literally thought you were talking about GT Sport the whole time.

F1 the golden rule has always been that the best drivers end up in the best cars though, Hamilton gets a lot of abuse, mainly from fans that didnt watch the sport when he was in the Mclaren battling Alonso & the Ferraris, or constantly splitting the red bulls and snatching some wins when Red Bull were dominant, these people forget he hasn't always had "the best car" & still got wins. They just like to pretend that all he's ever known is Mercedes & that he has an easy ride... even though he destroys his teammates while the likes of Vettel gets exposed by the only two teammates that aren't over the hill (Leclerc and Ricciardo).

Anyway, as far as F1 goes it'l never change. They've made plenty of small adjustments over the years and to their credit they're a sport that will constantly evolve and address new issues. Qualifying wasn't always like it is now.

Oh you're talking about F1, I literally thought you were talking about GT Sport the whole time.

F1 the golden rule has always been that the best drivers end up in the best cars though, Hamilton gets a lot of abuse, mainly from fans that didnt watch the sport when he was in the Mclaren battling Alonso & the Ferraris, or constantly splitting the red bulls and snatching some wins when Red Bull were dominant, these people forget he hasn't always had "the best car" & still got wins. They just like to pretend that all he's ever known is Mercedes & that he has an easy ride... even though he destroys his teammates while the likes of Vettel gets exposed by the only two teammates that aren't over the hill (Leclerc and Ricciardo).

Anyway, as far as F1 goes it'l never change. They've made plenty of small adjustments over the years and to their credit they're a sport that will constantly evolve and address new issues. Qualifying wasn't always like it is now.

On a bad day he’s easily beaten by Bottas which imo means it’s all about the car.
Gone are the days of a driver making manual adjustments that play to his strengths it’s all too artificial and conputerized.
We’ll never see this happen again from such a crappy team and a older driver
Teams in whatever division will always get the youngest skilled driver, which why Williams scrapped Hill after his championship.

Qualifying is fine, even though you can qualify for an entire week without tire wear or fuel weight then drive a different car, better on tires/fuel/blocking in the race... It has not relevance in matchmaking anyway.

Matchmaking can be improved by looking at everyone's average pace for the combo you're entering. One DR score for all tracks and cars doesn't work.

However first SR calculation needs to be fixed since that's the primary factor in match making. Those top lobbies will still be a mix of A+ to D drivers as long as SR stays messed up.

SR is mainly determined by whether you do a lot of race A/B or race C, and whether you start top/bottom 3 or mid field. I chose not to qualify at all to start at the bottom. Easiest way to keep SR at 99 for me. Not much chance at a victory but if I qualify, I start 8 to 12th and will get rear ended in the first lap, lowering my SR and have a good chance at a BS penalty making me worse off than not qualifying and starting last without a penalty :lol:

On a bad day he’s easily beaten by Bottas which imo means it’s all the car.
Gone are the days of driver making manual adjustments that play to his strengths it’s all too artificial and conputerized.
We’ll never see this happen again from such a crappy team and a older driver

Lmao " on a bad day".

Senna and schumacher didn't win every single race they ever entered against their teammates y'know... Some drivers are just better at certain tracks.

Makes me laugh how you hamilton haters seem to pick at every little thing, yet don't do the same for all the other great drivers.

No point continuing this, time to go racing.

Lmao " on a bad day".

Senna and schumacher didn't win every single race they ever entered against their teammates y'know... Some drivers are just better at certain tracks.

Makes me laugh how you hamilton haters seem to pick at every little thing, yet don't do the same for all the other great drivers.

No point continuing this, time to go racing.

Actually I put Hakk above Senna, Schumacher was a cheating bastard.

Back