Screen Flickering/Cutting Out

• Thread starter Thirdeye
  • 4 comments
United States
Grand Rapids, M
ThirdeYe1337
Derek1337
Hey all,

I finally got a PS3 after waiting way too long. Used to love the first 4, and browsing these forums. Anyways, I ordered GT5 XL with the system and I've noticed that sometimes when I play, my screen will turn black and the sound will cut out for a few seconds. The picture/sound will eventually come back. I originally thought the issue was due to the PS3 outputting in 1080p, when my TV is 720p, but I un-checked 1080p and it still does it every once in a great while... just not as often. Has anyone else encountered this and found a fix/workaround? I tried searching but I couldn't really find a good answer. Many thanks!

Derek

p.s., this is my first post here in 5 years... great to be back!

Last edited:
Hey all,

I finally got a PS3 after waiting way too long. Used to love the first 4, and browsing these forums. Anyways, I ordered GT5 XL with the system and I've noticed that sometimes when I play, my screen will turn black and the sound will cut out for a few seconds. The picture/sound will eventually come back. I originally thought the issue was due to the PS3 outputting in 1080p, when my TV is 720p, but I un-checked 1080p and it still does it every once in a great while... just not as often. Has anyone else encountered this and found a fix/workaround? I tried searching but I couldn't really find a good answer. Many thanks!

Derek

Is this random or before and after races? If its random sounds like a faulty HDMI cable

Is this random or before and after races? If its random sounds like a faulty HDMI cable

I'm using the same HDMI cable that I used to use for hooking-up my laptop to my TV and it never had this issue, so I'm doubting it's the cable. It only started doing this after using my PS3 with it.

So far I've had it happen after a race, when the other AI drivers are completing the race. I also had it do it in another game, but only for a second.

Same thing happens to me and sometimes half the screen turns white'ish black'ish then tirns back to normal 5 seconds later.

I had it happen to me twice yesterday after I posted. Once during a b-spec race in GT5, and once when I was watching a DVD. I switched the HDMI cable with one that I know works for sure, so I'll try to rule that out before actually sending the console in for service. The cable I was using was used before when I used to hook my laptop up to my TV, but granted I didn't use it all that often so I suppose it could still be an HDMI cable issue. The one I'm using on it now I've been using for over 6 months daily, so I know that one works.

Back