Screen ghosting in GT PSP

• Thread starter TeamStig
  • 23 comments
Anyone who owns a PSP probably knows what I'm talking about, but if you don't, ghosting occurs whenever a fast object moves across the screen, creating a blurry effect. The early models were notorious for having this problem. Sony tried to improve it in the PSP-2000 and PSP-3000, with mixed results. Here's an example:

I have a PSP-1000, and while ghosting has always been noticeable, it seems to stand out even more when I play Gran Turismo - especially during replays. Could it have anything to do with the game running at 60 FPS? I wanted to see if you guys are having similar issues.

yes,I have it on my psp1000... rather frustrating... we can go 2ms with a 24" inch these days... it seems like on the psp screens it's more like 20ms...

All LCD have some ghosting. Its inherent with the tech. I hear PSPgo is good though.

The iPhone screen has lots of ghosting compared to a PSP.

Yeah I get some killer ghosting with my PSP-1000, but to be honest it doesn't bother me all that much. It would irritate me on a full size LCD with my PS3 though.

I have the PSP-3000 and I don't notice any ghosting. If there is any ghosting it's so little that it's barely noticeable....or something's wrong with my eyes :scared:.

I have both a launch day PSP-1000 and a launch day Go. The PSP-1000 has ghosting whenever a car moves across the screen relative to you. No other game I've played on this system has suffered from this this effect. The Go does not suffer from this effect in GT:PSP.

PSP-3000 here, and no ghosting. I was worried that the well-known PSP-3000-interlacing would become an issue, but it didn't.

Sony sent you a cheque lately? :lol:

Haha no sadly, am a big fan of it though and it is getting such a large amount of negative press. To be honest I wouldn't upgrade from a 3000 or 2000 if I had one, but as it is I ended up with it and also GT and three other games on the rewards system for 200 quid, its not that bad value for me and it is certainly improved technology wise.

Try Ridge Racer and you'll see the same.

It is pretty bad in Ridge Racer, but not as bad as GT PSP in my opinion. I thought that had something to do with it being a launch game.

To be honest I wouldn't upgrade from a 3000 or 2000 if I had one, but as it is I ended up with it and also GT and three other games on the rewards system for 200 quid, its not that bad value for me and it is certainly improved technology wise.

I would definitely buy a PSPgo if we had the UMD reward system in the US, but unfortunately SCEA isn't as kind :yuck:

Only the 3000 and Go have faster screen rates. 1001 and 2000 are the same 16Ms :(. But the 2000 has the best screen quality the 3000 uses interlacing but is brighter and faster.

On my 1000 I notice quite a bit of ghosting, but I have gotten used to it.

I have a launch PSP with around 25 games and notice it on quite a few of them, but since I have had it for so long it doesn't really bother me.

I have the 3000 (actually, the box says 3004), I haven't noticed any ghosting yet (and I have played quite an amount of races).

I have a PSP Slim & Lite (PSP-2000 series) and I have not noticed any ghosting... Gameplay has been smooth as silk since I got it.. 👍

Yeah the first PSP had quite a bit of ghosting in all games, it was a slow screen so any movement with black and you could see it ghost/edges bleed.

PSP2000 improved the response time and reduced ghosting.

PSP3000 improved the response time further, was a brighter screen with a better contrast and color range, although at the cost of some interlacing. Ghosting is there if you look for it and know what your looking for, only really noticeable on blacks and very dark colors.

PSPGo has once again improved the screen over the 3000, brighter again with better contrast/colors and without any interlacing.
Really noticeable if you go from the PSPGo to the PSP3000. I played GT on my PSP3000 for a few days before I got my code for the PSPGo, and it looked great. Jumping to the PSPGo, the color/contrast and brightness was definantly noticeable without a direct comparison, and only when I went back to the PSP3000 after a few days on the PSPGo, I noticed how bad the interlacing was.

Back