Screen resize in GT5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTWelsh
  • 26 comments
  • 4,269 views
Messages
2,321
Wales
Wales
Messages
TSR_GTWelsh
Well for all our 16:10 aspect racers.
wouldn't it be AMAZING to be able to adjust the size of the x and y axis of the screen, so we could then MANUALLY make our horrable 16:10 streched displays into a perfect image? what would happen with image quality if this was to happen? i have 1680 x 1050 , running 720p after a resize would be fine i would of thought :) and i do think its not up to sony to make this happen with the PS3, it is up to the Game Devs to somehow make a "fix" in-game i think.
i would LOVE this feature but it's seriously a shot in the dark, it is what i would like,,, there is nothing to suggest it will happen:drool:
what do you think?
 
I've got a 16:10 hooked up to my, sorry, 360, and all it does is add some black small borders on top and bottom, so the image has the correct aspect ratio. It's done by the console, game independently, and was implemented by some update a little while ago. No impact on picture quality nor performance as far as I can tell.

Can't really see the big deal, and as I'm using this TFT as a second monitor for my laptop I welcome the extra space for menus and such, and still be able to display a 16:9 image without having stupid overlays in the picture.

But in home entertainment 16:9 is considered the only way to go, but I really don't want to start a fight over this ;)
 
Up to game devs you think? You know what I think? People should read the PS3 specification and then re-evaluate their opinion. Its HD resolutions are clearly stated as 720 and 1080, which are both 16:9 aspect. If you run your console on a 16:10 screen, ending up with a stretched image, that's your issue. If you want total control over resolutions, a PC will be more than happy to oblige.
 
It's the insecure pedantics out to try and prove their superior knowledge that ruin threads like this.

Well said.

It took some pressure from the 360 community to make Microsoft implement support for 16:10 TFTs, but it could be done obviously.

As I said, 16:10 is more practical and ergonomic when working with PCs because it gives some extra space for tool bars, and simply adding black bars to keep aspect ratio intact should be a simple matter - every dirt cheap DVD Player can do it, so I see no justification at all why the mother of home entertainment consoles should not be able to cope with that challenge.
 
I have the same issue when i have a 22 inch. ldc. The PS3 was only suport 720, but the XBOX 360 support the same resolutions has a PC, ex 1650x1050.
I wondering why the PS3, a superior machine cant handle the others standart resolutions.

How i fix it? buying a full HD lcd:sick:

Now i have 1080 in both consoles.:)

Maybe Sony must support the other resolutions, i dont think that must be hard.

Sorry my english.
 
actually you should be able to adjust the scaling from your monitor if it is up to snuff. Mine did it but I forced it to display a 16:9 image with letterboxing on it's native 16:10 aspect ratio screen.
 
Call of Duty has this, You can actually adjust the top and bottom and sides to fit your screen. If GT5 would have this it would be perfect.
 
I wondering why the PS3, a superior machine cant handle the others standart resolutions.

...

Maybe Sony must support the other resolutions, i dont think that must be hard.
SONY made a games console that supports standard HDTV resolutions, 720p and 1080p. Why can't people just accept that instead of whining about why it doesn't function like a PC?
 
(G)
actually you should be able to adjust the scaling from your monitor if it is up to snuff. Mine did it but I forced it to display a 16:9 image with letterboxing on it's native 16:10 aspect ratio screen.

I need to learn how to do this on my Samsung.
Its only really noticable in racing games though.

Home also has this option, but first, i find it hard to adjust it perfectly and second, i dont know if photos i took in it will be shrinked for other people or if they remain their standard aspect ratio. The last MLB games also had it iirc.
 
SONY made a games console that supports standard HDTV resolutions, 720p and 1080p. Why can't people just accept that instead of whining about why it doesn't function like a PC?

Because they want extra functionality? Why can't people just accept that other people might want more than is currently available? Who's the one whining? You posted twice in this thread saying the exact same thing... sounds to me lke you're the one whining.

I agree Sony should take the time to make the PS3 more flexible, if not, maybe more game devs could take the time to make their games support 16:10 resolutions (even if its just by adding black bars).

(G)
actually you should be able to adjust the scaling from your monitor if it is up to snuff. Mine did it but I forced it to display a 16:9 image with letterboxing on it's native 16:10 aspect ratio screen.

Its only relatively recently PC monitors have started to support other aspect ratios, and some of them do it with questionable quality. I'm not sure if Samsung have aspect ratio scaling now, but all the Sammy monitors I looked at didn't have the option.
 
I'm not sure if Samsung have aspect ratio scaling now, but all the Sammy monitors I looked at didn't have the option.
I have a Samsung T240HD (which is more of a TV than a monitor), and it has 1:1 pixel mapping, meaning it will just add pixels if the picture fed to it is smaller than the native resolution and the aspect ratio is not the same. It has a 1900x1200 resolution, so it will add black bars on top and bottom if you feed it 1080p. I'm pretty sure the newer Samsung models do this too.

That said: the problem is not in the PS3, it's in the monitor you are attaching to it. Certain (mostly older) screens don't support 1:1 pixel mapping and thus aspect ratio will be screwed when trying to display something smaller than the native resolution of the screen combined with a different aspect ratio.

On PC, both nVidia and ATI implemented a workaround in their drivers by adding (black) pixels to the output if the output is smaller than the screens native resolution and the aspect ratio is different, and apparently Microsoft did the same for the Xbox 360. If it's a driver thing, it probably is a relatively small fix.
 
That said: the problem is not in the PS3, it's in the monitor you are attaching to it. Certain (mostly older) screens don't support 1:1 pixel mapping and thus aspect ratio will be screwed when trying to display something smaller than the native resolution of the screen combined with a different aspect ratio.

It doesn't really matter whether you see the problem is in the PS3 or in the monitor... it IS a problem which could potentially be fixed on the PS3, probably for free with a firmware update. It could also be fixed on the monitor, more than likely by buying a new one.

Microsoft saw the problem and implemented a fix as did nVidia and ATI and add in a fix in their drivers (from memory back when LCDs were new the scaling options were either non-existant or limited, but I could be wrong). Sony should also recognise the problem and fix it too. It does become less of a problem as time goes on and people update to newer monitors (especially with the standard aspect ratio going toward 16:9 even on PC), but Sony should have addressed the problem a year or two ago so it was never a problem in the first place. Back when I bought my PC 2 years ago there were very few monitors which had aspect ratio control options, a year and a half ago when I helped my friend purchase his PC it was still very limited and even when I bought a new monitor a month or so back, many monitors lack the feature or did scaling poorly.
 
The PS3 system software / hardware was always a bit limited in matters of screen resolutions and scaling.
IMHO each software must support the used output resolutions directly.

Xbox360 has a transparent scaler (and VGA support :)). From the beginning it supported "PC" resolutions like 1024*768 etc.. So it was a lot easier to implement other resolutions later, without the game even knowing. Just all above and including 1920*1200 is technically impossible.
 
Because they want extra functionality? Why can't people just accept that other people might want more than is currently available? Who's the one whining? You posted twice in this thread saying the exact same thing... sounds to me lke you're the one whining.
Yep, whining about the whiners. At the end of the day, I'm not the one whining about the fact that the hardware I purchased does not do something it was not intended to do. The specification and output of the PS3 is clearly stated, so if people still choose to buy it and hook it up to non-compliant displays, more the fool them.
 
Yep, whining about the whiners. At the end of the day, I'm not the one whining about the fact that the hardware I purchased does not do something it was not intended to do. The specification and output of the PS3 is clearly stated, so if people still choose to buy it and hook it up to non-compliant displays, more the fool them.

okay calm down maybe...

i'm not "whining"
you're the ONLY one whining here pal.


. my tv was a christmas present
. it says its 16:9 in the manual and also at the end of the system software title but its obviously not 16:9. (1680x1050)

can i complain to Argos for this? it is a year old so i doubt it :lol:
. From what ive heard on here. PC can do it. xbox can do it. wii isnt in this league. and PS3 is the only one that cant. so i think i'm right to ask questions really.
. various games can zoom in and out. but non or not many can actually change the y and x axis independantly. so surely if it has zoom, then changing the y and x axis is possable? well weel find out in time i guess. thanks for the replies guys.:dopey:
 
16:10 displays should not strech 16:9 picture. If it does, problem is with the monitor.
 
i have a similar problem, but its not really serious...

but its the ps3's fault, not any software...i believe its something to do with ps3's graphics processor, it cant do it. where as xbox 360's gpu is a little different so u can run it on any resolution and it wil be fine...
 
I know for a fact it can be done, it was done in MGS 4. I don't see why every game doesn't have this feature. Forced me to buy a new monitor that can actually force the image to fit inside the frame.
 
i have a similar problem, but its not really serious...

but its the ps3's fault, not any software...i believe its something to do with ps3's graphics processor, it cant do it. where as xbox 360's gpu is a little different so u can run it on any resolution and it wil be fine...

I just said call of duty 4 does this on PS3. so it's a software issue
 
You can not blame ps3 for not supporting 16:10 as it is not a standard HD resolution. Also i know many 16:10 displays that do not strech 16:9 picture.
 
There are many 16:9 monitors on the market, you chose the wrong ones and now want Kazunori to optimise such a complex game for another resolution and make sacrifices in the game engine. I hope this will not happen.
 
There are many 16:9 monitors on the market, you chose the wrong ones and now want Kazunori to optimise such a complex game for another resolution and make sacrifices in the game engine. I hope this will not happen.

There are now, there wasn't a year ago, even 8 months ago. I dont see it as a very large sacrifice to allow the game run in letterboxed mode.
 
There are now, there wasn't a year ago, even 8 months ago. I dont see it as a very large sacrifice to allow the game run in letterboxed mode.
Sony should be able to add something like that to the firmware, but I doubt they will. 16:10 and even 5:4 monitors existed long before the launch of the PS3. Sony didn't bother, nor the ability to output to VGA.

TV-standards only. NTSC, PAL, HD.
 
Found my old post on google xD , my 22" 1680x1050 tv has 16:9 written all the way through the manual, 16:10 is never mensioned, although the max res is stated, it does say its 16:9 alot. its 1.5 years old, guessing a replacement for lesser 16:9 tv is out the question here.
 
16:9 is probably about a million times more common than 16:10. They'll never do it because they don't need to.

And why have you felt the need to bump a thread from last year, let alone with no uselful information?
 
Found my old post on google xD , my 22" 1680x1050 tv has 16:9 written all the way through the manual, 16:10 is never mensioned, although the max res is stated, it does say its 16:9 alot. its 1.5 years old, guessing a replacement for lesser 16:9 tv is out the question here.
Right, and? If your max res is 1680 x 1050, then it is 16:10, no matter what the manual says. The screen could have physical dimensions that are 16:9, but it is still a 16:10 display.

Why do you say "lesser 16:9 TV"? Most PC monitors of that size were 16:10 (mine is), but 16:9 monitors are becoming increasingly more common now. Besides, PS3 was designed for use on HDTVs, which are native 16:9. If you want something to match the output of a PS3, get a new HDTV or a 16:9 PC monitor, because like it or not, that's just how things are. It's not PDs fault you bought a display with the wrong aspect ratio!

Not that this debate means anything at all, because it doesn't. I just figured that because it is April Fools day, I'd pick on the foolish posts ;)
 
Back