SDK for GT5 or GT6?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SigmaViper11
  • 23 comments
  • 3,722 views
Messages
533
Messages
SigmaViper11
Ok. For the moderators, I don't mean to make your jobs harder, but I did do what I felt was a (hopefully) thorough enough search so, if ya feel the need to shut this thread down, can you link me to whatever thread that popped up or that I missed please?

Ok, so my point. Everyone is talking about modding cars and custom tracks and the like. The biggest thing being what if scenarios, and after seeing that read in Top Gear Mag that was posted, about different car companies wanting to use the physics engine to test their cars, and how their calculations engine works to get cars to behave appropriately, why don't they release a Computer base program for GT that could be easily imported to the PS3 and Gran Turismo.

I mean yea, ok. There's the benefits of track making, being able to create nearly any imaginable (though some might create some unimaginable places) track configuration in any area you can think of. Be it known tracks, or truly one of a kind tracks that people have spent time on making purely from their own ideas. i can easily see it being used there.

Now what about the cars. Someone once said have a "create-a-car" type feature in Gran Turismo. And that's cool. But what I'm talking about is basically allow anyone who has or owns the pack to design or redisign from scratch just about a machine. Using current parts registered ingame that can be Heavily and I stress "Heavily" tweaked, or parts that are completely original. I mean, like a Ford Focus taken from in game, run through this hypothetical program, that could be modified from a simple Focus with only the ingame mods, to a beastly twin turbo rear wheel drive V6 Monster with completely original design body somewhat based on a TVR Speed 12. Thats just an example but why not?

Now I know some of you would say whats the point, most people wouldn't want to spend that much time designing or redesigning parts, but the reality is many people would. Not everyone obviously, but I think enough that it would be worthwhile to go after. Now, I'm a bit biased to selling them separately, cuz why increase the price for people who won't use it, with it packaged together in a bundle.

But I believe it would truly redefine the world of Gran Turismo. I mean, why should PD and Red Bull be the only one's actually being able to design stuff. And don't tell me it'd be like MNR because what I'm think goes a good ways beyond the realm of that.

Everyone keeps saying KY, PD and Sony need to think and respect their fanbase more.

Wouldn't this be the ultimate way to expand freedom?
 
With PD spending millions getting rights to put in 'real' cars the chance of an SDK being released is about 0%.
 
As far as physics engines go Gran Turismos isn't any where near the best.
Take a look at iRacing, even rFactor (which is now an old game) have better physics engines. Not to mention every Formula 1 team having vastly better engines.
 
Do you wan't PD to take another 20 years in creating this game. It would be great , but I think a little step to high for a game. I think they rather use computer software. I think that building a car is way more easy on a PC than on a PS3.
 
Do you wan't PD to take another 20 years in creating this game. It would be great , but I think a little step to high for a game. I think they rather use computer software. I think that building a car is way more easy on a PC than on a PS3.

I believe I said that. Have the program available for computer and make it so that you can build, rebuild or mod any car almost any way you like, but make it so that it can easily be transferred to the PS3. . . That is whatever you make easily transferable to the PS3.
 
As far as physics engines go Gran Turismos isn't any where near the best.
Take a look at iRacing, even rFactor (which is now an old game) have better physics engines. Not to mention every Formula 1 team having vastly better engines.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the X1 running in GT5 and the Red Bull simulator.
 
As far as physics engines go Gran Turismos isn't any where near the best.
Take a look at iRacing, even rFactor (which is now an old game) have better physics engines. Not to mention every Formula 1 team having vastly better engines.

I'm sure if PD only had 20 cars to make, than the physics would be better than anything we have seen.
 
That would be a great idea, but I don't see PD letting that happen. There would be users who make content that is just as good or better than what you see from PD.
 
That would be a great idea, but I don't see PD letting that happen. There would be users who make content that is just as good or better than what you see from PD.

Yea, I can understand that. I think. I'm kinda thinking of ahving some premade parts that can be remade and attached.
 
why don't they release a Computer base program for GT that could be easily imported to the PS3 and Gran Turismo.

It's simple. PD always wants to have a full control of gran turismos content in terms of quality. I don't think they want their game to become some kind of Garry's mod.
 
Software Development Kits are usually used for outright modifications of the codebase (e.g. for total conversions, etc.) but, of course, they do usually have the tools to generate or modify assets, often used for more simple "mods".

If you're suggesting that PD should let us code our own features / extra tools into the game, I think that's probably a touch far-fetched. It sounds like you're describing content creation tools, which don't need the user to have access to the SDK at all (but, as above, are often bundled with the SDK for certain games / platforms).

PD could, somewhere down the line, release some new "tools" (like the track generator) as part of the game, and this wouldn't need the potentially harmful release of a full SDK (Sony's own SDK was eventually leaked earlier this year, no doubt that boosted the uprising of piracy on the PS3... ;))
 
It's simple. PD always wants to have a full control of gran turismos content in terms of quality. I don't think they want their game to become some kind of Garry's mod.

:lol:This^
 
you wont really know that until the full game is released 👍
He said Gran Turismos, not GT5.

As for them releasing the tools to generate tracks and cars to the quality that PD are able to...not a chance.
 
Software Development Kits are usually used for outright modifications of the codebase (e.g. for total conversions, etc.) but, of course, they do usually have the tools to generate or modify assets, often used for more simple "mods".

If you're suggesting that PD should let us code our own features / extra tools into the game, I think that's probably a touch far-fetched. It sounds like you're describing content creation tools, which don't need the user to have access to the SDK at all (but, as above, are often bundled with the SDK for certain games / platforms).

PD could, somewhere down the line, release some new "tools" (like the track generator) as part of the game, and this wouldn't need the potentially harmful release of a full SDK (Sony's own SDK was eventually leaked earlier this year, no doubt that boosted the uprising of piracy on the PS3... ;))


hey, ok. Thank you for clarifying that. Ok so basically, not so much an SDK as much as indepth content creation tools. You seem to have understood the most so far, so thank you for clarifying what I meant. :D But yes, because I don't want the frames of the bodies and parts to be corrupted. But the ability to custom create modifications, Eg, Flaring out fenders, installing vents and intakes to your own specifications, redesigning headlight and brakelights, Original Bumper Modifications. . . I suppose ok. Maybe I was initially wrong. Not an SDk and creation similar to MNR but with a far superior grade of depth and precision. Where you could custom create the body basically of a given car, but maybe modify the principles of internal components, within a ranged specification. Eg, you can put any kind of engine into the machine, just to see if it works, as long as the engine's specifications allow it to fit in the engine bay. I suppose thats more of what I'm getting at.

And again, thank you for allowing me to clean up my idea's intent.
 
As far as physics engines go Gran Turismos isn't any where near the best.
Take a look at iRacing, even rFactor (which is now an old game) have better physics engines. Not to mention every Formula 1 team having vastly better engines.

F1 teams use rFactor Pro.
 
Never. Going. To. Happen.
GT5 is a mainstream console title with incredibly strict creative/quality control, you might as well ask for the SDK for Uncharted 2.

Next...
 
Although I think it will never happen, the idea sounds nice 👍.

It's not an SDK, as clarified on the posts above, but just an in-game tool. The customization can't be so deep though, otherwise it would bring PD problems of right, as people would surely recreate Porsches and stuff. Also, Kaz said that PD had a complete track editor, but they decided not to put that into the game because it was too complex. Modeling a car the way you described sounds complex too.
 
Although I think it will never happen, the idea sounds nice 👍.

It's not an SDK, as clarified on the posts above, but just an in-game tool. The customization can't be so deep though, otherwise it would bring PD problems of right, as people would surely recreate Porsches and stuff. Also, Kaz said that PD had a complete track editor, but they decided not to put that into the game because it was too complex. Modeling a car the way you described sounds complex too.

Well, I've been thinking. Maybe not so much totally rebuild cars. But major redesign yea. It'd basically only make modifications to existing cars in the game.

It's an active idea that I'm still working the kinks out of it as people respond. If Turn 10 jacks this idea, I'm going to be pissed. And yea, I suppose for now, what he wants of the game it might be too much. But considering the level of creativity in most games now, along with car culture in the modern era. . . I'm hoping its not an idea people will just completely throw out on sight.
 
I think any idea should be at least respected. Some people refuse ideas so hard just because they're different, or "don't fit" so well in the context, or sound impossible. I'm afraid this kind of judgment can happen to you...
 
I think any idea should be at least respected. Some people refuse ideas so hard just because they're different, or "don't fit" so well in the context, or sound impossible. I'm afraid this kind of judgment can happen to you...

Yea. Think it has. Thanks for keeping an open mind. :)


Ok, so I've been thinking. A system similar to this might work. It would be like. . . NFS carbon when it came to body mods, but with the more dynamic use like Modnation Racers. You are not going to an Flag sticking out of your hood. However, being able to adjust, vents, bumpers, skirts, wings and their curvature. . . etc. That kind of thing. Bordering designing the part yourself.
 
Last edited:
Back