Seagate 8TB Archival HDD

United States
Wisconsin
hogger129
Anyone have experience with these? I'm thinking about buying one for data backup. I previously had an 8TB WD Red. I'm not sure if it is because I didn't have it powered up all the time (since it's a NAS drive), but it stopped working. It failed quick, as in a couple months. One day nothing would mount it. WD did end up replacing it for me.

But I need a second one for redundancy and am thinking about trying a Seagate this time. I have three other Seagate drives. All are 3-5 yrs old and are still working great. But I'm put off by the reviews I'm finding saying Seagates fail the most. What are your experiences? Worth buying Seagate again?

I have 4x4TB WD reds in my raid and they are still going strong.

Any mechanical drive can fail.

I had a bunch of seagates in my raid and have been moving to WD and Hitachi as they fail based on backblaze recommendations. I've lost pretty much all of my seagate drives. My WD drives seem to be failing at a much lower rate. The Hitachi drives are too new to tell.

Right now I have 3 Hitachis, 2 WDs and a Seagate in the raid.

We use Hitachi and Samsung almost exclusively in out environment which houses roughly 20+ PB of data on both SSD and spun. We've stopped using Seagate in like 2005 and have been coming off WD drives as well. For spun, I recommend Hitachi.

I have never had an issue with WD mechanical drives.
Any drive can be classed as "Archival"

NAS, Eco, CCTV, Enterprise and Performance drives on the other hand are each their own unique breed.

I've had Hitachi, Seagate and WD drives all fail on me. It's hard to say whose is the "best" or "most reliable" because the answer likely will be different next week.

A hard drive will always fail, there is no two ways around it. HHD's have moving parts and SSD's have a finite number of reads/writes. However, we have thousands of hard drives in our environment. Hitachi and Samsung fail less often than any other manufacture we have used. its why companies like EMC, NetApp and Pure use those two brands almost exclusively.

A hard drive will always fail, there is no two ways around it. HHD's have moving parts and SSD's have a finite number of reads/writes. However, we have thousands of hard drives in our environment. Hitachi and Samsung fail less often than any other manufacture we have used. its why companies like EMC, NetApp and Pure use those two brands almost exclusively.

True any drive can fail.

The only issue I have had is failing sectors outside of warranty.
Never had any kind of issue inside the warranty period.

Heck this is my 1TB WD Black drive.
The power on time is 25,994hours.
That is 1,083 days or 2.96 Years.

The UDMA Error count happened after I plugged it in due to a bad sata cable, been fine ever since
The current pending sector count has been on 2 for a while.
But Heck this was my fraps drive at one point so it got a lot of use.
I now use it as a temp drive for my BD Isos backups that need to be encoded.
Capture.PNG

We rarely have any drives fail within warranty ourselves. I'm just pointing out that in our environment (currently 2 data centers a comprehensive lab and a colocation, running very large governement databases and countless virtual machines) that we, and those we have contracts with, have found Hitachi and Samsung to last longer with less issues.
That said, we hammer our arrays. lots of IO, everything interconnected through SAN fabrics, your average household consumer isn't going to be using drives like we do. I'm also not saying WD is trash. Won't comment on Seagate though. I'm just saying through the years we found those two brands to last longer and be more stable. When you've got decades of experience linte EMC does, it's not hard to know who makes a better HDD or SSD, you've literally got millions of drivers out there to pull the data from. When a company like that drops WD for Hitachi, it's generally because a bean counter reviewed dial home info, saw how many drivers their residents were replacing and if what brand/model. Our older Centeras and VNX arrays have far more drive failures than our new VMAXs. I'm sure you can guess at this point which houses what drives.
To the OPs point, none of them use Seagate. Even from my own, in home experience, Seagate sucks. I run three drives in my desktop and 6 in my server. I've had 2 WDs fail in the server. But they were old, so not unexpected. The Seagate's I picked up for the desktop, two 1TB drives, failed in roughly a years time. Same experience with laptops too. I would recommend WD over seagate for sure. HGST over all of them for spun, and Samsung for flash.

I'm still running original Seagate HDD on my old laptop, it's over 10 years now, not sure if this is a rare thing, it's 80GB HDD SATA I, already have close to 54000 hours powers on count, over 3100 power cycle count, 6300+ start/stop count, 913000+ load cycle, temp average at 53 degree celcius, 0 pending sector. It runs well and I'm typing this on that laptop. The HDD is home to Windows XP :P I also have Hitachi 1TB HDD that died after 4 years of heavy usage ( video/music archival ) and abuse of high temp at 60 degree celcius average ( bad external enclosure design from Hitachi Life series ) , replaced by 2TB Hitachi, that now is cooled and runs at 39 degree celcius on average with open casing.

Back