Searched: Swaps

  • Thread starter Thread starter sicbeing
  • 27 comments
  • 1,227 views
Messages
1,103
Messages
Cribanox
I've asked questions like this before, and I'm not directly asking the GTP community for answers, but does anyone know where I can find specific info on transmision changes or engine swaps?

I've searched google and AskJeeves and can't find anything, what I'm looking for is information like, what parts do you need exactly? Or, what will work with what car? I have a 1994 Honda Civic LX, and I was wondering what I would need for switching my motor / tranny (1.5 liter 103 HP and Automatic Tansmission with something with more power and a manual transmision).

I know that a lot of you think it's a better idea to just buy a different car, I know, but I'm just looking for information, I can't do a motor swap myself, I don't have the knowledge let alone the tools, so I know I'd be paying big bucks to get it done by someone else, even the transmission swap.

If anyone knows about this or where I can find this info specifically, plz lemme know, thanks in advance.
 
what you sould need in respect to what?
tools?

or extra parts?

As far as extra parts..depending on the motor to go in..you shouldn't need anything...new tranny/motor will drop right in...just might want new axles as meitenence...

other swaps require custom shift linkages..
or mounts..
or a plethera of other parts..

it's all application dependant.
 
Honestly, with that car, it won't be very much. The EG Civic can take just about every engine Honda has made in the last 15 years. It won't be like dirt cheap, but its nothing like $10k. We're talking about one of the most aftermarket friendly models from one of the most aftermarket friendly brands. You should look at like a B16A or B18C. Both of those can be found very readily, have great power and aftermarket support, and be installed just as easilly as the stock engine.

A good first look is Hasport. They make engine mounts and other things that are needed to get just about every Honda engine in just about every Honda car. Then, I would just browse some Honda forums and eBay looking for engines to install. The install isn't hard, or new now a days. So, many shops can do this now.

Hilg

http://www.hasport.com/

http://www.honda-tech.com/

http://www.jdmcivic.com/forums/index.php

http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php?Cat=
 
Swapping a D or B series in a Civic is a relative piece of cake, indeed. Depending on your budget, there are a lot of options... if you've got a small budget, getting a B18B out of an Integra LS/RS/GS would be a good option. They're dirt cheap nowadays, and they put out about 140hp. Alternatively you can get a B20B/Z out of a CR-V, for pretty much the same amounts, but they're a bit harder to find. The big difference between the B18 and the B20 is of course the 200cc's worth of displacement. You can even fit the VTEC head from an Integra GS-R/Type-R or a 99-00 Civic Si on these engines, and end up with an LS-VTEC, which offers slightly more torque than, say, a GS-R engine (B18C1). It's about the same, price wise, too, but finding a VTEC head with the ECU and intake manifold, without anything else, well that's sometimes a bit harder, and there are a few mods to be done to it in order to work properly. Just a B18B would set you back around 1500$, give or take a few hundreds, without calculating installation...

If you've got money to spare, well, sky's the limit, really. Prelude engine, RSX engine, turbo or all-motor, you name it, it can be done. Nitrous can be done, but I personally don't recommend it. Check out Hilg's links, they're full of useful info. 👍
 
Haven't you already posted a thread on this sicbeing?

- I thought you'd given up on the idea and decided just to get a new car?
 
Yea, no last time I posted it was about hooking up my car in general, right now I'm just looking for info, the new car can wait now that gas prices are 3-4 a gallon. (I dont need the 200-300 bucks a month in car payment )
 
The things I really needed to know is, what do I need when I order a motor or swap one or etc? Do I need certain little parts that normally aren't listed but are applied as common knowledge? That's what I'm afraid of, getting a motor from someone/where and then not having parts or pieces that the guy I bought it from will say "oh, well of course you need those, I thought everyone knew that".

I'm also afraid of putting in a different motor, and then there being certain parts that I'm not aware of on my car that can't handle the new power that I should have replaced with better parts.

It's just not knowing what I'm doing yet and I'm trying to learn so if/when I do it I won't be a nervous wreck, some of those sites that were linked I don't understand because I don't have the basic knowledge of what they are talking about (engine names, etc)
 
sicbeing
The things I really needed to know is, what do I need when I order a motor or swap one or etc? Do I need certain little parts that normally aren't listed but are applied as common knowledge? That's what I'm afraid of, getting a motor from someone/where and then not having parts or pieces that the guy I bought it from will say "oh, well of course you need those, I thought everyone knew that".
Did you investigate the links that Hilg offered? You'll need to go to a DEDICATED Honda forum to get these questions answered. These are guys that have done this before. Nobody here just has a list to reel off the top of their heads.

Go find a good HONDA forum dedicated to ACTUAL CARS and start looking around there.
 
Well, you basically just need to figure out what engine you want in your car first off. Then, just start reading up on some of those sites and others to see what others have done. Its just learning that you need. Nothing wrong with that, we all have to start somewhere. Just read up on things, and make a plan. Trust me, its not that hard with the hardware you have. The Honda Civic is just about the easiest, and most popular, car for engine swaps in the import world.

I'd say the B16A would be a great fit. Thats the engine that was in the older Del Sol VTEC and the '99-00 Civic Si. Its a 1.6L with full VTEC, 8000rpm redline, and makes about 160-170hp. Great motor that can drop right into your EG Civic. The "EG" that I speak of is the chassis code. So, for searches, you would look for "B16A into EG" or things like that. Its been done MANY times, so you should be able to find lots of info.

Hilg
 
Thanks, I am still not sure what B16 or EG actually mean, and yes Duke I did do some investigating on a few of them, I've actually already registered on the JDM forums a while ago, but I didn't think it was what I needed to look for, maybe I'm just lost.
 
EG - chassis code

Althought on the coupe it's really - EJ

B16 = Engine code
B = series of engine
16 = ~1.6Liter engine
Following = further identification of what model..
ex
B16A2 ..The A2's the identified for which particular B16 it is..

sic go to www.jdmcivic.com ...and read...simple as that...go there and read...wait a couple days before you ask questions...for those first 2-3 days....reaaaaddddd
 
sicbeing
I am still not sure what B16 or EG actually mean
Those are just the codes for the Honda scene. The B-series engines are the popular engines because they drop into just about everything. So, when you see "Bxxx" or whatever, thats an engine. The letter is the series, the following 2 numbers list its size, and the final letter tells spec. Some examples.....

B16A - 1.6L VTEC (Civic Si)
B18C - 1.8L VTEC (Integra GSR)
H22A - 2.2L VTEC (Prelude)
F20C - 2.0L VTEC (S2000)
K20A - 2.0L iVTEC (RSX-S)

Then, you have the chassis codes. Usually listed with 2 letters and a number for body style. On most of the Honda forums, you'll see the sections separated by chassis code. Heres some examples.....

EG6 - Civic Hatch '92-95
EP3 - Civic Hatch '02-05
DC2 - Integra '94-00

So, since you have a 1994 Civic LX sedan, you have an EG8 chassis with the D15B7 engine. What you want to search for is people who have swapped a B16A into the EG8 chassis. Then, once you find those people, start asking around as to what unusual parts are needed. If you look on HASPORT site, they list just about everything you could need. They really are the masters of swapping. You could write them and ask, I'm sure they'd let you know. Then, its just a matter of finding a shop to do the swap.

Hope that helps. Like I said, its just learning, nothing to be sorry for. We all have to start somewhere. Just get to reading, and searching. You'll slowly start to absorb info, and it will all make sense.

Hilg
 
check out www.clubcivic.com forums

but yeah swapping another honda engine in is pretty much straight forward. driftster is right tho, read and research a lot. im prob sure this question can be better answered at that forum (should be covered already, im sure your enot the first wanting to do this). but things off the top of my head

engine
tranny
ecu
shifter plate, cables, bracket, shift knob, etc for auto to manual (not sure about exact part names)
maybe a manual tach/speedo cluster
clutch fork
clutch master cylinder
clutch hard lines
engine harness (not sure if you can use auto harness)
a drill to cut a whole in your firewall
engine hoist/crane ("cherry picker")
friends (or g/f) to help :sly:
patience and time :dunce:
 
Thanks, you guys answered a lot of my questions, now that I know a little bit more, I won't be so scared to venture into other forums. 👍
 
I did a search on the B16A that was suggested, and found its a Japan motor, do those fit into a USDM chasis?

90-93 X Si
R Si B16A 2G - DB 1595 10.2 : 1 158 @
7600 rpm 112 lb/ft @
7000 rpm Japan
 
Driftster
just some touch ups...
I was just making basic statements. Yes, technically the B16A was JDM only. We got the B16A2 in the Del Sol, and B16A3 in the '99 Civic Si. The changes being OBDI or II. But, either way, the engine is always just refered to as the B16A. And, the Integra GSR was the B18C1. The JDM Type-R had the B18CR, while ours was the B18C5.

Hilg
 
So I take it a JDM motor wont work ina USDM chasis?
 
In fact, most of them will work in a US chassis. Many used engines in the Honda/Toyota/Mitsu scene are sourced from Japan because Japanese cars are retired very early by American standards. This means there are lots of reasonable-mileage engines around, and there are shops that import them regularly.

Also, while it is a diverse group, check www.grmotorsports.com forums. There are a lot of swap kings there, in Hondas or in other cars.
 
JNasty4G63
I was just making basic statements. Yes, technically the B16A was JDM only. We got the B16A2 in the '99 Civic Si, and B16A3 in the Del Sol. The changes being OBDI or II. But, either way, the engine is always just refered to as the B16A. And, the Integra GSR was the B18C1. The JDM Type-R had the B18C, while ours was the B18C5.

Hilg


some more touch ups
 
Driftster
some more touch ups
Ok, so I got those two B16A switched up. But, the JDM Integra Type-R had the B18CR (210hp, 8500rpm), not the B18C (180hp, 8000rpm). That was only in the JDM Integra SiR-G. It was basically the same as the B18C5 (195hp, 8500rpm) engine that eventually showed up in our Type-R here in the US. The USDM Type-R motor just getting some more revs and better exhaust giving it the extra 15hp. That clear it up??? Prob not, you'll "correct" something.

Hilg
 
A little touch up..


There was no R on the block code though..

The only way to tell was A, the valve cover (obvious)..B: internals..
c: Transmission and D: intake manifold..

Both are labeled B18C on the block..No "r"...just an R spec engine..

And I don't remember the USDM B18C5 being 210hp...

I remember 195HP from the us spec....

and 200+ from the JDM b18C model.
 
Driftster
There was no R on the block code though..

The only way to tell was A, the valve cover (obvious)..B: internals..
c: Transmission and D: intake manifold..

Both are labeled B18C on the block..No "r"...just an R spec engine..
Right. But, the Type-R engine is the B18CR. The regular B18C is a totally different engine. Yes, it says B18C on the block, with no R. But, its not just a B18C engine. Thats why people just call it the B18CR.
Driftster
And I don't remember the USDM B18C5 being 210hp...

I remember 195HP from the us spec....

and 200+ from the JDM b18C model.
And, I don't remember ever saying the US Type-R B18C5 had 210hp. Am I misreading something??? I believe what I said was.....
JNasty4G63
.....the JDM Integra Type-R had the B18CR (210hp, 8500rpm), not the B18C (180hp, 8000rpm). That was only in the JDM Integra SiR-G. It was basically the same as the B18C5 (195hp, 8500rpm) engine that eventually showed up in our Type-R here in the US. The USDM Type-R motor just getting some more revs and better exhaust giving it the extra 15hp.
Am I missing something????

Hilg
 
yeah, B series swaps are a dime a dozen now. you can really do a lot with them. i think the company is love fab or something (google it) but anyways, they make awsome stuff. i saw a EG (i think it was a CX) with a boosted B16 (i only looked at it for a sec but i was in a rsx type s that ran him) and the rsx type s seemed like it was standing still even though the type s has a couple bolt ons.
anyways, the type S motor is the K20a2 the civic Si is K20a3 and the base rsx has the K20a i think.
gah! i wish i could afford a new ITR motor to swap in my EF (old boxy hatchback)
oh yeah! www.ef-honda.com the guys there are really helpful, i hear honda-tech is basically useless now and posts are drowned out in like 10 minutes :crazy:
 
blargonator
.....the type S motor is the K20a2 the civic Si is K20a3 and the base rsx has the K20a i think.
RSX Type-S = K20A2
Base RSX = K20A3
EP3 Civic Si = K20A3
JDM Integra and Civic Type-R = K20A

Hilg
 
^thanks, i was not really sure about that oddball rsx.....i never really payed much attention to them.
 
Back