Seattle accuracy and detail

  • Thread starter Thread starter Razzbar
  • 6 comments
  • 632 views
Messages
65
I was in the photoshoot mode looking at Seattle for places I'd recognize. Buildings, sure. But I'm puzzled by the street layout. I used to live in Seattle, but it's been many years.

So I was looking at an image from the stairstep, and saw a street sign that said "Marion". BZZZT! It can't be Marion street, because it's crossing a climbing street. Marion itself runs up and down the hill. Streets in that part of town are either level, or steep.

In fact, although the buildings are modeled well, and the look and feel of Seattle is there, the layout of the streets is bogus. Artistic license at play.

One of the streets that run up and down is Yessler way, which used to be an old logging road where they used to skid logs down to the waterfront. Because of this use, it was originally called simply "skid road". A lot of squatters lived along it. The original Skid Road. Not "skid row". Skid Road.
 
That's pretty cool that you lived in Seattle, but I found a thread with just about every track in the game mapped out that stan394 did a little bit ago, and Seattle's in there. Check it out.
 
Yeah, the street signs are kinda generic. Like they modelled one, but couldn't be bothered with making all of them, and then making sure they got to the right place. I noticed that a long time ago in GT3.
 
samj_13
That's pretty cool that you lived in Seattle, but I found a thread with just about every track in the game mapped out that stan394 did a little bit ago, and Seattle's in there. Check it out.

WOW! Scroll down the page and there's a collage of Seattle with screenshots from the sim. It's more accurate than I supposed. Is the Smith Tower really there?

👍
 
The old GT3 Rome track was almost completely there IRL, too. Perhaps some license is taken here and there, but the layout pretty closely follows the real map. R246 is nearly all realistic, though again, it's been touched up a bit.
 
I think they really don't give a single piece of care about it.

Japanese Developer: "What is the name of that street?"
Kaz: "Marion for all. Focus in modelling Skylines, please."
 
Dimitrov
I think they really don't give a single piece of care about it.

Japanese Developer: "What is the name of that street?"
Kaz: "Marion for all. Focus in modelling Skylines, please."

:lol:
 
Back