Seattle grunge and beyond - Music thread

• Thread starter wheelhp
  • 7 comments
Australia
Australia
Are there any REAL metallers here? All of that Korn, Static X, Disturbed crap :lol::lol::lol:

If so what do you listen to? What are your favourites?

I listen to all metal, from heavy to death. and many bands from those categories. ...also a lot of nu-metal... of which I don't mind in my racing games...

Yes this is poking fun at the self-righteous "Real metal" thread :P

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't classify grunge as heavy metal. It has some elements of heavy metal in it, but it's more or less a sub-genre of alternative rock. This isn't to say that some grunt bands didn't have metal tracks/albums though. Alice in Chains is a band that had crossover between the two pretty frequently. But like Pearl Jam was pretty much all grunge with no metal at all and really draws mostly from classic rock. Although today, Pearl Jam is more experimental or alternative rock instead of grunge.

Also, was Static X ever really considered grunge? They're pretty much nu metal, same with Korn and early Disturbed (they're not nu metal anymore).

With all that said though, grunge is the music from my youth and while I was still pretty young during its heyday it's still stuck with me. Pearl Jam is, without a doubt, my favourite band with Ten being one of the best albums I've ever heard. Soundgarden's Superunknown is fantastic as well. Weirdly, I never really go into Nirvana too much, although I can respect their music.

Really, the 90s just had better music, but I'm also getting to the age where I don't understand new music :lol:

Yeah at first I didn't understand grunge, took me a while to get into it, but now it's a lot easier to listen to than some of the stuff on the radio stations today. On wikipedia "Grunge fuses elements of punk rock and heavy metal."

And yeah Korn is Nu-metal. I like few of their songs, not all. Do prefer Pearl Jam, AIC and just rock these days over metal. But SLipknot is my metal anchor at present. That said, and I know it's going to be divisive but I don't think Babymetal is all that bad...

Last edited:
I grew up on Linkin Park, came across Audioslave one day, and went backwards into grunge from there. I've been waiting for those last Soundgarden songs. I really hope the band and Chris Cornell's wife can come to some kind of agreement.

I still can't believe Chris is gone. It's so strange.
It is. He seemed like he was more on the rails than Kurt and Layne - it all happened so sudden, and seemingly no reason why. It's a hell of a shame his wife and the rest of the band have been in court since - it's not nice for anyone, family or fans.

Oh no, this could quickly devolve into nuanced discussion of metal sub genres.
To stay on topic, my fav old school metal and grunge artists have gotta be Paramore, P!NK and Avril Lavigne.

Back