Sebastian Vettel retiresFormula 1 

• Thread starter TumeK5
  • 17 comments
Finland
Finland
Unfortunate, although not exactly surprising news, as most of you probably know. Today, Vettel announced that he'd be retiring at the end of the 2022 season. In this thread, we will take a quick look at his highly successful career.

image.jpg

Ever since his first victory at the wheel of the mediocre STR2B in Monza, he was referred to as the Baby Schumi, and rightly so, as that day he proved he has what it takes to win a championship...and then some. The following year, he'd be promoted to Red Bull, and then winning a Grand Prix was no longer a rare treat for the young German. After a mouth-watering 2009 season, the following year would greatly impact Formula 1 as it would crown the youngest ever World Champion. From there, Vettel enjoyed a streak of success, claiming four titles in a row, and, in 2013, winning an incredible nine Grand Prix victories in a row, another record for the series.

AU1124878.jpg

Vettel bowing before the mighty RB9.

However, as it always goes, nothing lasts forever. Ever since the testing for the 2014 season it was clear Red Bull were on the backfoot. After a year of great struggle, Red Bull would only score three victories, all in the name of Daniel Ricciardo, who was also the only non-Mercedes driver to win a Grand Prix that year. Vettel then promptly made the decision to leave Red Bull in search of the next journey. This time, he headed to Ferrari.

33452-2015_malaysia_grand_prix-3301a7ad4f295449e6407363d4ce29dc.jpg

Vettel celebrating his 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix triumph.

Red Bull weren't the only ones struggling with the 2014 rule changes. As mentioned, only Mercedes and Red Bull would see the chequered flag first during the year. Ferrari's best results were two podiums, courtesy of Fernando Alonso. However, Vettel, along with everyone else knew this struggle would not last long for the veteran team, and indeed in only his second attempt for the Scuderia Vettel managed to cross the line first. This would be one of the many of his final victories he would achieve during his career.

geos75a6pth31.jpg

Try as he might, Vettel just couldn't prevail over Hamilton over a season.

Unfortunately, however, some things just aren't meant to be. One of those things was winning a title for the Maranello outfit. Up to this day, the last driver's championship won by a Ferrari driver was none other than Kimi Räikkönen in 2007, and even then, by just a single point. 2008 would also be the last time the Scuderia would win on the constructor's title. Vettel fiercely battled Lewis Hamilton for three years, 2017 through 2019, but never quite enough to claim a fifth title. After 2019, Ferrari hit another dip in performance, and would finish a lowly sixth in the constructors in 2020, their worst year in decades.

_126076762_vettel_gettytwo.jpg

Even after all the struggles, Vettel has every reason to smile as a four-time World Champion.

2021 then brings us to the final chapter in Vettel's Formula 1 storybook. Once again as a result of poor results, Vettel decided to switch teams, one last song during his already impressive performance. Speaking of songs, Vettel's honor and modesty meant he would write a departure song for Ferrari at the end of his last Grand Prix for the team. He has reflected this nature throughout his entire career. Examples would be defending Lewis Hamilton against an inappropriate question in a press conference, cleaning up the litter of the Grand Prix attendance, as well as being a mentor figure for Mick Schumacher, the son of the seven-time World Champion, Michael, whom Vettel idolized and whom many in the paddock compared him to.

After an impressive 2020 season for Racing Point, they then rebranded as Aston Martin for 2021. They could, however, not replicate the same success, as most of it undeniably fell onto their notorious Pink Mercedes chassis. Vettel did stand on the podium twice, but unfortunately the last time was made obsolete after the team failed to provide the mandatory fuel sample.

Vettel has hit many bumps during his career, but he will always be remembered as the humorous, smiling prodigy youth.

seb-dp.jpeg

Figured I'd make a tribute thread for him. Was honestly surprised no one made a thread yet.

Anywho, it's sad to see him go, but it honestly didn't surprise me one bit. Ever since 2019 it felt like he passed the torch to Leclerc, and that he wouldn't get into a Grand Prix winning team again. On the other hand I'm happy, because this opens the door for a rookie next year, and I swear to god, if it's not Piastri...

Also geez I hope I fixed all the typos now.

Last edited:
Figured I'd make a tribute thread for him. Was honestly surprised no one made a thread yet.
There's some discussion going on in the Hungarian GP thread, but guess it deserves its own thread yeah.

He definitely will go down as one of the all time greats. I'll miss him. He's also the only F1 driver I've ever spoken to for real (not a proper conversation or anything), and he was really nice, so he always had a little special place for me.

I didn’t find this news surprising actually, makes sense, he’s had a good career and nothing is really happening with Aston Martin

It’s a shame it didn’t work out at Ferrari but the guy is a legend through and through. It’s sad to see him go, he was the first driver I supported when I started watching 2008.

Hopefully he doesn’t retire from racing all together, I’d love to see him in the WEC.

I'm personally happy to see this happen. F1 has such minimal competition (for wins, and notable successes) that you're either an upcoming hotshot, in the right car...or you're more or less done.

F1's very sterile outward appearance, lack of interesting TV coverage, etc. means that you rarely see much of anything from the drivers outside a press conference unless you go looking for it.

So if you're not competing for victories...I don't understand spending more than a few years in F1 (unless you're part of a development programme and you believe it'll actually lead to something).

I'd much rather see guys like Alonso, Vettel, hell...even Ricciardo at this point, move on to other stuff, particularly with Hypercar/LMDH about to go into full gear. Plenty of F1 drivers have pretty superb sportscar racing careers AFTER their F1 careers, etc. I'd much rather see Ricciardo, for instance, blazing around Mt. Panorama in an Aussie Supercar or a GT3 then just piddling around middle of the field in F1 (with essentially zero chance of ending in a race/championship winning car again).

I'll always accord much of Vettel's success to the double diffuser, although I'm not sure how much. Who can say?

On the other hand, Seb seems like a more well-rounded human being than many other F1 drivers, standing out from the singleminded rat race of a career devoted to climbing the ladder from karting to F1 World Champion. I believe he will deal with retirement exceptionally well.

Great driver, and as one who doesn't ascribe to the 'but it was the car' nonsense a well deserved winner of his championship.

Oddly I actually grew to like him far more as the years went one, both on and off the track.

It’s a shame it didn’t work out at Ferrari but the guy is a legend through and through. It’s sad to see him go, he was the first driver I supported when I started watching 2008.

Hopefully he doesn’t retire from racing all together, I’d love to see him in the WEC.
Judging by his statement I'd guess he takes a short break from racing altogether and then comes back supporting some more sustainable form of motorsport. Maybe not necessarily as a driver, but who knows.

Shame but he lost his edge in the second half of 2018. Still he gave us the best years in recent times with his battles against Hamilton in 2017 and 2018.

Oddly I actually grew to like him far more as the years went one, both on and off the track.
Same. He certainly matured as both a driver and a person. Don't know whether to atribute that to becoming a father or to leaving the Red Bull enviroment, which appears to be increasingly toxic.

I remember his episode on TG very fondly, made me discover the man behind the driver, which I liked much more.

Still not a fan of Seb the driver but I definitely like Seb the man.

Same. He certainly matured as both a driver and a person. Don't know whether to atribute that to becoming a father or to leaving the Red Bull enviroment, which appears to be increasingly toxic.
I honestly think a good degree of the issue lies with Red Bull.

That's a shame. Dude put up some solid stats. Love / hated him at RB. Warmed up a bit to him during his Ferrari years. Enjoyed his and HAM's race to a 5th WDC. Wanted him to do well with Aston Martin, but...

Looking forward to seeing what he does next.

Thanks Seb.
We all watched with awe and admiration at some of the best performances the sport has seen. And shock and revulsion at some of the ****tiest moves in history.
Having said that since leaving 'orange cow' his attitude as a racer and human has been noticeably improved. This year he's been one of the stand out drivers for me. Obviously relaxed and at peace with himself.
Good look for the future.

Back