Second Wind: The Realization of a Dream (Chapter 2: 31/1/11)

• Thread starter lilcat89
  • 7 comments
United States
Pikes Peak, CO
GTP_MPower
What do you need this for!
Introduction​
Sitting in my airplane seat. Watching the Atlantic Ocean out the window below. My thoughts were full of amazement as I was still in shock from the previous weeks activities. Flying back to Geneva from Monterey, California, where I drove the only Japanese car to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Mazda 787B. Goosebumps appear every time I think about that 4-rotor Wankel engine idling behind me. But, how did I get here? How did an American soccer player, that has become “The Iceman” in Europe for the last 6 years, get to demonstrate the Group C racer at Laguna Seca Raceway?

Growing up, I was completely obsessed with cars. Ever since I can remember, I have loved watching racing and the cars in general. Being an American, I knew that my dream of racing at circuits that I had seen on television was unrealistic and would never happen. Giving up on my racing dreams, I went on to a more realistic dream, soccer. Playing in the local youth league would soon lead to the league’s traveling team. By the time I was 15, I was the star striker for my high school team. After leading our school to 2 state championships in 3 years, I was awarded a full scholarship to the University of Florida. Graduating with honors and another 2 championships to my resume, my dream might be able to be realized. The day after I graduated, FC Bayern Munich signed me on as a Reserve Player. Throughout that first year, I scored 63 goals, moved from Reserve Player to Captain, won the adidas Golden Boot for most goals in a season. The biggest thing we achieved in that first year was winning the German Cup and the Bundesliga title. The second year was even better. We won the Bundesliga title again, but we lost in the Champions League final on PKs. My jersey has sold the most of any player in the Bundesliga. My real dream of racing was still alive and growing as I played longer and longer.

This past winter, however, I was contacted by the head of Mazda’s corporate collection of historic cars. He asked me how I would like to drive the 787B at the Rolex Monterey Historics. I literally jumped at the chance and said I would be honored to. After that call, I started making plans to fly out a week before to visit family and friends. My one stop on this flight will be to spend three days in Denver, with my parents. When I leave out of Denver, I will have my dad with me, as this will be my treat for his 60th Birthday. My love of cars is all thanks to him, handing me every car magazine he had subscribed to for most of my childhood.

The day of my dreams had finally come. The night before was full of anxiety. I had never been so anxious and restless ever. Tossing and turning in my hotel room, lying there with all these thoughts about what it would be like. So after my sleepless night, we arrived at the track in time for lunch with all of the Mazda executives from around the world. The pressure on my shoulders instantly got 100 times heavier as we chatted. After our lunch, we were lead to the tent where the 787B was sitting, being prepped for my 5 lap demonstration run. It was told to me that it takes around an hour and a half to get the car ready before the engine will even turn over. Changing into my racing overalls and helmet was easy work. Climbing into the small, narrow cockpit is barely doable. What makes it worse is having to climb over the gear linkage, which is hidden in the door sill. The chief engineer started showing me all the switches and controls I would need. Finally, the time had come to fire up the R26B and do my 5 laps. Pulling out on to the pits, the engine idles like nothing I have ever heard. Once I took off the pit limiter, the car leaped under half throttle toward the second corner.
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_8.jpg

Feeling the immediate nature of every aspect of the cars performance, I was wondering what the Corkscrew would feel like, even at this slow pace I was instructed the go.
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_11.jpg

Going around for those 5 laps was the realization that I had it in me all along to race. Sure, I was on a demo run all alone on track, but driving on a closed circuit had always my dream.
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_10.jpg

The executives at Mazda were very good hosts to both me and my dad. They thanked us by handing us this framed portrait of the 787B I had just drove.
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_6.jpg

So, now that you know how I got to where I am now.

****​

This is my first attempt at this, so please comment and share your criticism.

Last edited:
I find it really strange that Mazda contacted a pro soccer player to demo their historics, esp. the 787B. I feel like it was a setup O.o But nonetheless, it's a nice Intro. The writing is also a bit unique from what I've seen in this forum, so keep up with that style 👍

Thanks. I was going for unique. Maybe I should have added some about how it came about, but I had already thought it was really wordy. I will have another chapter coming up this weekend.

Chapter 2: Waiting for the Taxi

After rediscovering my childhood dream of racing through the medium of a Mazda 787B, I planned on going to the Nurburgring and getting a ride in the famous ‘Ring Taxi. Cruising along the Autobahn in my Z4 M Coupe, wondering what the Nordschliefe will be like, 14 miles of a two-lane strip of tarmac with no room for error. It will definitely be the ride of my lifetime, for now.

Pulling up to the Nordschliefe at 8:30 am, I take a parking ticket and pull around looking for an open space in the closest lot, park up, and climb out of the Z4 M. Walking into a nearby building, I look at a map of the facilities trying to find where I need to go. After about 5 minutes of looking, I finally found the registration room. After signing the waivers, I am taken outside to the next step, waiting in the queue for my turn. Whilst waiting, I start talking and getting to know a young racer named Kristina Schweger. As it turns out, she is doing the Ring Taxi to get to know the Nordschliefe before she races here this weekend.

So, what are you racing here on Saturday?
I will be driving a Scirocco R in the VW Scirocco Cup. It a small development race with identical cars. It is supposed to be a real fun race, which could change my life.
That sounds really fun. So, how did you get to the Scirocco Cup?
Well, as a little girl, I always loved driving around my family’s farm in our old Audi 90. I got pretty serious about after I got a kart at 23. After a few years in karts, this Scirocco Cup is my first step outside of karts.
Wow, so you got a really late start in racing then.
Yeah, I wish I had started sooner, but we weren’t the most affluent family in Germany, you know.
I definitely know what you mean. I wonder how much longer we have to wait?
I know, its taking forever.
Looks like we are next up to go.
I wonder who is going to be giving us the ride today?
I personally hope its Sabine Schmitz, but I really don’t care.
I love her, I hope so too. She was one of my inspirations in karts.
Do you have any plans after the Taxi ride? If not, you want to go out for lunch after this?
I would love to. What do you have planned?
I know a good Italian place in town we could go.
That sounds really good. Looks like we are up.

After taking our tickets, we are walked outside, where the famous Alpinweiss BMW M5 in full M decals is sitting. In the driver’s seat, we found the other queen of the ‘Ring sitting there, miss Claudia Hurtgen. Quite a pleasant surprise, I must say. Kristina and I got into the back seat, while another man jumped into the front passenger seat. Claudia asks us all how we are and if we are ready to go. We all, rather excitedly, agree. She pulls up to the metal arm, it raises, and we are off at the end of the Dottinger Hohe.
NrburgringNordschleife_30.jpg

*****​

Thanks. Im glad some people like it. Trying to play around with some new stuff to work into the story. I will try to bring out new chapters regularly.

Thanks. Hopefully, I can get the next chapter out tomorrow or sunday.

Back