Seeking a team for a project.

Denmark
Denmark
Hello GTplanet users, i have a proposal for some of you modders here, I, myself have played around with the idea of rebuilding Gran Turismo 1 or 2 on another engine for a long time, i know Leo have made some toolkits that he (unfortunately) does no longer support, but since we are able to convert the car models to OBJ files and we also have his trackviewer to be able to recreate tracks i was thinking about rebuilding the game in Roblox. Now you maybe think oh no not Roblox. But give the idea a chance, it's a simple platform to build in, for a simple polygonal game, with a wide userbase, of course it would require some LUA scripting capabilities that i dont have myself, but i hope some of you have. Of course there is the copyright problems, dont mention it, i was thinking of doing it how ijji did with drift city, giving the car names related synonyms. Is anybody up for a project like this? I think it would be a way to add new modes to this game like multiplayer functionality. Could be awesome to give this nostalgic gem, new life. I hope you take this request as serious as me, and please ask any questions if you like. I didnt bother writing several pages about this project as i dont know the community in these forums yet. Thanks.

- Nicolai Kjær

Last edited:
First of all, if you're serious about remaking the whole game, a sandbox like Roblox will be very limiting and you should be looking at a proper engine like Unity or UE4 that will be more scaleable and allow more than just a scripting language.

If you plan to use all of the art assets from the original game, there's a pretty high chance of you getting a cease & desist letter from Sony as the entirety of the original game is copyrighted. If you plan to remake all of the art assets, you'll need enough talented artists and enough time to remake over 1000 models with all of their associated textures.

You will also need to employ programmers to write a physics engine and AI, which will be a full time job for a team of multiple people for a couple of years. Lua will not suffice for this as it's an interpreted language and doesn't have good enough performance. You'll also need further programmers to write everything else a game needs, like menu code, sound engine integration, savegame handling, input handling, even down to little things like how it decides which AI cars to use in a race. If you want it to be an authentic remake of GT1 or GT2, you'll also need some developers to reverse-engineer the original game to see how it does all of these things before you can reimplement them.

For any sort of decent remake of a game, you need to put in roughly the same amount of man-hours it took to build the game in the first place, assuming you have equally talented staff. Assuming you can outsource as much as possible at the best balance of skill to price, you could probably remake GT2 for a million dollars over the course of 3 years. If you can find volunteers who have the requisite skills and are prepared to work full-time for free then it may be cheaper, but will likely take longer and without an employment contract the majority of huge projects like this die due to members leaving when they burn out from all of the work on top of their day job.

I don't mean to sound negative, but developing a game is a long, expensive process. If you can produce a simple one-car demo that looks and drives like GT2, you might get more volunteers, but currently I'm not sure if you even have a formal game design document.

First of all, if you're serious about remaking the whole game, a sandbox like Roblox will be very limiting and you should be looking at a proper engine like Unity or UE4 that will be more scaleable and allow more than just a scripting language.

If you plan to use all of the art assets from the original game, there's a pretty high chance of you getting a cease & desist letter from Sony as the entirety of the original game is copyrighted. If you plan to remake all of the art assets, you'll need enough talented artists and enough time to remake over 1000 models with all of their associated textures.

You will also need to employ programmers to write a physics engine and AI, which will be a full time job for a team of multiple people for a couple of years. Lua will not suffice for this as it's an interpreted language and doesn't have good enough performance. You'll also need further programmers to write everything else a game needs, like menu code, sound engine integration, savegame handling, input handling, even down to little things like how it decides which AI cars to use in a race. If you want it to be an authentic remake of GT1 or GT2, you'll also need some developers to reverse-engineer the original game to see how it does all of these things before you can reimplement them.

For any sort of decent remake of a game, you need to put in roughly the same amount of man-hours it took to build the game in the first place, assuming you have equally talented staff. Assuming you can outsource as much as possible at the best balance of skill to price, you could probably remake GT2 for a million dollars over the course of 3 years. If you can find volunteers who have the requisite skills and are prepared to work full-time for free then it may be cheaper, but will likely take longer and without an employment contract the majority of huge projects like this die due to members leaving when they burn out from all of the work on top of their day job.

I don't mean to sound negative, but developing a game is a long, expensive process. If you can produce a simple one-car demo that looks and drives like GT2, you might get more volunteers, but currently I'm not sure if you even have a formal game design document.

Thanks for dedicating your time to reply in such detail. Im not talking about reverse engineering the game to a complete remake. Physics, and ai should differ but catch the feel. Think of it more like a nostalgic tribute to the game that catches the art style the menu sounds and tracks. Of course going for 1000+ car inventory in the game is unrealistic at first but a lot of assets is available, and it could be cool to have a GT1/2 game you could Play on almost any device without the need of emulation software, you Can also Update your releases with a click of Button which makes later added content easy. At first i would be going for something Alpha-release like with a 1 or 2 tracks and a few selections of cars but the 3D models isnt the biggest problem in my book. Original designers used 1 Day Per car, and in todays 3D softwares programs adding or editing a few polygons and changing some textures woudnt be a Big deal with Those (pixel art) sizes. I tried alone a While back replicating the High speed ring by comparing with gt1 running in the background and Making half of the track took me a Day.

Sorry for any grammatical errors i wrote this on a non english iPhone with auto correct :)

I could help with the music since I've tried to recreate the old Gran Turismo music stations but I know nothing about coding.

Seems like a good idea even if it is really hard. Good luck!

@NicolaiKjaer

Your project sounds very interesting but notice that someone was banned here last year for attempting something very similar with GT3.

However, I am personally working on a GT2 like game (self made assets) on the Unity engine and seek interest to a extent. It's nothing serious but something as a hobby on the side. We can open a conversation to further speak into this.

@NicolaiKjaer

Your project sounds very interesting but notice that someone was banned here last year for attempting something very similar with GT3.

However, I am personally working on a GT2 like game (self made assets) on the Unity engine and seek interest to a extent. It's nothing serious but something as a hobby on the side. We can open a conversation to further speak into this.
This makes two of us. However, I'm working on a GT Advance remaster with Unity and my own car and track models.

Do you mind showing it?
Haven't done much coding-wise. I'm working on modeling right now and will import them. For my test build, I'll just have one car and track (ASL Gaiyra and Hello World).

Haven't done much coding-wise. I'm working on modeling right now and will import them. For my test build, I'll just have one car and track (ASL Gaiyra and Hello World).

Sounds very very similar to what i've done so far. :D

I've modelled a few cars, one is being textured and I'm testing shaders. Problem I have is in coding.

Back