Seeking gearing wizard.

• Thread starter TexRex
  • 10 comments
United States
a baby, candy, it's like taking.
TexRex72
I'm finding it difficult to match the ratios in the later air-cooled Beetle to those used in a similar car I once owned with an aftermarket 5-speed conversion from Gene Berg Enterprises:

1st 3.78
2nd 2.33
3rd 1.58
4th 1.26
5th .082
R/P 3.88

I've purchased all parts that change RPM in my efforts to arrive at this gearing, but at this point I'm thinking that launch gear is the issue since the game seems to favor closer ratios in transmission tuning. Any help is appreciated.

@Ridox2JZGTE is one of the popular replica tuners here. Tagged him hoping that he may be able to help you.

Hopefully I can help :P

I'm finding it difficult to match the ratios in the later air-cooled Beetle to those used in a similar car I once owned with an aftermarket 5-speed conversion from Gene Berg Enterprises:

1st 3.78
2nd 2.33
3rd 1.58
4th 1.26
5th .082
R/P 3.88

I've purchased all parts that change RPM in my efforts to arrive at this gearing, but at this point I'm thinking that launch gear is the issue since the game seems to favor closer ratios in transmission tuning. Any help is appreciated.

Is there an issue reaching the ratio in the 1st place ? You said you installed parts that change RPM limit. There's a method that allows gear ratio to be reached when conventional method failed. Sometimes one or 2 gear ratio values is out of range when using the gear flip method ( lowest/highest final and auto top speed ). Please let me know the details of the tune, oil change, installed power parts and the car make - premium / standard beetle ?

What I usually do is to play with final to reach the gear ratio that has issue, this will often takes time ( trial/error ) to find the value range that can accomodate the whole gear range from 1st to 5th. You have to reset the transmission each time you want to use another final drive ratio value as a base, just to be on the safe side.

On rare occasion, gear value can't be replicated well, you can reach the value, but the top speed can be very high or very low :( But, I'll try it :)

It's the 1200 '66 and the oil's been changed, any and every part that increases RPM (ECU, every exhaust, every ABC-common engine upgrade and catalytic converter) has been installed at one time or another, and I've spent something like three hours doing exactly what you said (setting final drive first and then adjusting the top speed slider until all ratios are within reach...all to no avail. That's when I sought out assistance. Perhaps someone that's been doing this longer than since the beginning of this year will be more successful--thanks in advance.

That would be greatly appreciated. Don't limit yourself to all upgrades though, they were bought for the sole purpose of reaching those ratios. (My 5-speed-equipped Beetle packed an earth-shaking 92whp, so it doesn't by any means need to be maxed out in the game.)

That would be greatly appreciated. Don't limit yourself to all upgrades though, they were bought for the sole purpose of reaching those ratios. (My 5-speed-equipped Beetle packed an earth-shaking 92whp, so it doesn't by any means need to be maxed out in the game.)

Okay, just spent 15 minutes tuning and researching the Beetle :)
Found a page Glenn's 1974 Beetle, with similar Gene Berg 5 speed close ratio :

• Gear Ratios - Close ratio 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th, steel shift forks, hardened keys
  • 1st - 3.78:1 (heavy duty)
  • 2nd - 2.06:1 (stock)
  • 3rd - 1.58:1 (welded hub)
  • 4th - 1.21:1 (welded hub)
  • 5th - 0.82:1 (welded hub)
  • Rev - 3.61:1
  • Differential - ZF, Limited Slip (LSD) with 4 spyder gears (11 tooth) (rebuilt by Bruce Tweddle)
  • Ring / Pinion - 3.875:1 ratio, 8 bolt, Gene Berg GB-660K-3875 (Klinkenberg), cryo

I have to do some gear ratio shuffle check :P Tried on no rpm change power parts, the higher gear can't get low enough with various methods. So, I increased rpm range one step at a time, and got close as possible to the ratio above, you can use your own 4th gear 1.26 for shorter 4th gear, but the rpm will drop too much when shifting up to 5th.

Beetle 1200 '66 - Oil Change
Installed power parts :
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports Computer
Semi Racing Exhaust
Catalytic Converter Sports
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Intake Tuning

This gives 95HP and 137 ft-lb torque.

Transmission SETUP :

Install all power parts
Set custom transmission
Set Final to 3.000 ( minimum )
Set Auto Top Speed to 118mph / 190kmh
Set Each Gear :
1st 3.775
2nd 2.060
3rd 1.580
4th 1.210 ( based on the Glenn's 74 Beetle, you can use yours 1.260 )
5th 0.827
Set Final : 3.875

These are the closest I can get, the 1st and 5th are off about 0.005 to 0.007 :) Nice 5 speed close ratio, gives ample acceleration on 1st to 4th and good cruising or top speed 5th gear - 179kmh at redline :)

You can increase power by using turbo and keep or remove the intake tuning or exhaust manifold. Hope this helps :cheers:

I think I might build Glenn's Beetle replica :P

Last edited:
Absolutely spectacular. What was that I said about someone with more experience? :lol: Thank you very much.

Absolutely spectacular. What was that I said about someone with more experience? :lol: Thank you very much.

You're welcome :) BTW I missed the 2nd gear, your OP listed 2nd as 2.33, you can use the value as well, but I prefer the 2.06 :P

Actually I seem to recall 2.06 was a popular one in the real thing, but yeah I was able to use 2.33 since it was going in the right direction whereas I may not have been able to use 2.06 had you set it up for 2.33. It's great though--now I'm trying to get the car to wallow lazily from side to side just like mine did. :lol: Oh and fyi I had to make the final shorter because mine had taller tires (3.72s made up for the second gear speed discrepancy) but I didn't want to mention that before and risk confusing matters.

Back