Seems keeping a high Sportsmanship Rating doesn't make a difference.

• Thread starter marrk_us
  • 12 comments
marrk_us
After waiting for and immediately buying every Gran Turismo since the 1st, GT7 may be the last I buy. The online racing seems to have been completely ruined by dirty driving and no solution in sight. I am very careful to try to race clean and keep my SR at S, i feel ashamed if I slip to an A and equally bad any time I slip up and hit someone and negatively impact someone else's race. You would think that they would do a better job grouping you with others who care to maintain a high SR rating but they don't. When you get lucky and have a race with clean drivers the game can be magical, but that is increasingly rare. If they would keep the people with lower SR's together you'd think they could be happy with others with dirty antics, while those of us who enjoy clean racing would be more likely to have a more enjoyable experience also. I realize it is possible to be slick and have a top SR rating and still be dirty but you wouldn't encounter it as often as you do mixing everyone the way they are now. If the single player part of the game were much deeper then it is, like past games it'd help. The mess that sport mode has become along with the lack depth and offline mode is really sad..

Last edited:
I wonder sometimes what percentage of punters, are actually people with bumper cam, or some other not-VR view, who lack a general awareness of their car.

Also, between summer break and the movie, the chucklehead population has definitely surged.

I swear that Race A gr3 a few weeks(month or two?) back, gave a lot of dirty people, a format to perfect their cheap shot craft.

Much as i hate them though, watching imsa, wec, or that intelligent money, British league, its apparent that dirty/sloppy drivers are just part of life.

Ps: i think implementing sophy will fix most of the issues providing sport with better stewardship and offline with…well..interest…

I just missed sophy as I still hadn't managed to find a PS5 yet so I have no clue how it might help. Hopefully they'll give us another chance to try it out soon.

I used to be able to remember the names of the few dirty drivers I'd see for future reference as there were only a few of them. Now I can only try to take note, watch and be very careful when I see B or lower SR ratings. A lot of the time you can almost guess which ones will give you trouble. Sometimes when i'm stuck behind people going to war with each other playing bumper cars i'll just quit the race. At the end of races watching the post race comments it's way too often you see people taking pride in what they've done and bragging about how they are there to take out A drivers. Even "infamous" dirty drivers don't have any action taken against them and they don't care if someone takes them out because they don't care where they finish and they've just got others to play their game. How they get their kicks by taking out someone who trusted them by getting beside them and were totally defenseless I'll never understand. We'll see where things go I guess.

Last edited:
I realize it is possible to be slick and have a top SR rating and still be dirty but you wouldn't encounter it as often as you do mixing everyone the way they are now.
I haven't raced online in GT7, but there was a year where I raced online a lot in GTS. I kept my SR basically pegged at 99, but when I got to A+ DR, I found every race had people who were very skilled at driving dirty, just bumping people enough into corners to get past, even though in GTS those races only had people with S SR. I don't know if it's a CPU power limitation that prevents them from implementing better algorithms to determine fault while the PS4 is still supported, maybe they will be able to do better when they drop PS4 support. I'll be very interested to see what T10 has come up with for the new Forza Motorsport game, they included "Forza Race Regulations" in the list of future topics in the last Forza Monthly stream.

After waiting for and immediately buying every Gran Turismo since the 1st, GT7 may be the last I buy. The online racing seems to have been completely ruined by dirty driving and no solution in sight. I am very careful to try to race clean and keep my SR at S, i feel ashamed if I slip to an A and equally bad any time I slip up and hit someone and negatively impact someone else's race. You would think that they would do a better job grouping you with others who care to maintain a high SR rating but they don't. When you get lucky and have a race with clean drivers the game can be magical, but that is increasingly rare. If they would keep the people with lower SR's together you'd think they could be happy with others with dirty antics, while those of us who enjoy clean racing would be more likely to have a more enjoyable experience also. I realize it is possible to be slick and have a top SR rating and still be dirty but you wouldn't encounter it as often as you do mixing everyone the way they are now. If the single player part of the game were much deeper then it is, like past games it'd help. The mess that sport mode has become along with the lack depth and offline mode is really sad..

I've been at this since GT1 myself and feel your pain about offline and Sport races. What helped me was finding a good group of people to run with weekly. TT's and the occasional Sport race to get my local 600,000 credits is all I'm trying for now with Sport mode. Most of my time is grinding to build/ buy cars I want or need to run with friends.
If you can't find anyone else friend me, I can more than likely find you a group with your same interests.

@seadog777 and @fastone371 open invitation to message me as well 😊

Last edited:
I've been at this since GT1 myself and feel your pain about offline and Sport races. What helped me was finding a good group of people to run with weekly. TT's and the occasional Sport race to get my local 600,000 credits is all I'm trying for now with Sport mode. Most of my time is grinding to build/ buy cars I want or need to run with friends.
If you can't find anyone else friend me, I can more than likely find you a group with your same interests.
Thanks! I'm mid 60's but still haven't been in any groups, only sport mode. I've ordered a headset as I know they are helpfull since I can't text with any speed. Once they arrive I'll see if I can figure out how to hunt down and join a semi-regular group. Middle aged dog, new tricks and all lol.

Thanks! I'm mid 60's but still haven't been in any groups, only sport mode. I've ordered a headset as I know they are helpfull since I can't text with any speed. Once they arrive I'll see if I can figure out how to hunt down and join a semi-regular group. Middle aged dog, new tricks and all lol.
Leagues are probably your best bet. Not that you can't find a clean room now & then, but if you can get 3 semi clean races out of 10 in Sport you are lucky.

Some of it can be lag that you don't see, some of it is view, but most is just bad driving & over aggressiveness. All of them happen in random Sport lobbies from lowest DR to A.

Good luck with finding a group - there is some really good groups out there, that race & like to have fun together.

Leagues are probably your best bet. Not that you can't find a clean room now & then, but if you can get 3 semi clean races out of 10 in Sport you are lucky.

Some of it can be lag that you don't see, some of it is view, but most is just bad driving & over aggressiveness. All of them happen in random Sport lobbies from lowest DR to A.

Good luck with finding a group - there is some really good groups out there, that race & like to have fun together.
Nah, its not that bad. Thing is when your on the cusp of a level people get desperate and cheap. Mid levels, d-b at least are pretty decent. However, when the races are too short, as race b has been for a couple weeks things can get much dirtier as there is a bit of desperation mixed with knowing that binning someone effectively removes them from the race.

I saw last week most of the winners in my races had C-C ratings. I think some of them would have a higher DR and be in faster classes were it not for the SR limitation on DR.
I also noticed those are the ones who squealed the most when they lost. Ya know, the game has instructions with it and it can be set up to run a very brief synopsis of sportsmanship rules every time you go online. If you got bumped off the track and the other car didn't get a penalty, reading those rules will usually tell you why.
I'm going to maintain speed and the racing line unless it means colliding with someone else ahead of me who is maintaining both, backmarker or not. If you've slipped off the line or you're approaching a corner too fast in an effort to pass me, expect me to fight back when the collision occurs. Don't expect me to leave you any room to race. If possible I will, but I'm not obligated to.
Conversely if I've slipped off the line (or chosen a different one) or I'm not at speed when you approach, I'll do everything I can to stay out of the way. There are places I don't follow the recommended lines on several tracks, but I have to assume the cars around me are glued to them.
If I'm approaching you and we're both at speed and on the racing line, it's on me to make a clean pass OR follow you until I can.
Hack me off and I'm not above sending you into a gravel pit, but be aware it takes a LOT to get me to that point and you have to do it all in one race, else I'll quit online once I finish an annoying race.
All that goes for every opponent, human, AI, Sophy, you make it.
I've played a ton of online games over the years, got bent outta shape my share of times, and it just isn't worth it to have an unfriendly rivalry with someone. Usually once I realize they're out to cause trouble, I crush them and move on.

It depends very much on the time of day you race as well.

A couple week back when I had two days off, Monday and Tuesday for the 4th July, racing on those days, in the morning and middle of the day was a real joy. I was able to be relaxed, get good QT on Trial Mountain Reverse that I felt very at home with, and that lead to a week of outstanding races. I found the level of racing day time much higher quality than those in the weekday evening/early night hours and at the weekend.

Roll onto last week and I tried race B and thought my QT was reasonable but after a couple of races starting Q10 and being punted or penalized out of contention I decided that was a nope for the week and focused on the TTs instead.

I have not tried this weeks races yet. Race B could have been interesting but fear at 4 laps it's too short again and now I am stuck with the evening crowd... Hopefully it will not be as bad as last week. Race C could be fun. Time will tell..

Last edited:
I've played every GT minus Sport.
Missed launch of GT by about 1 week, so I wasn't really well versed in Sport of DR/SR.
I do however race in league with mostly A/S or B/S racers

It IS THAT bad, I'm sorry to say. When I first tried Sport races, since I had not played GT Sport I was lumped in with the lowest rated racers. Quickly learned to switch to switch to bumper cam, so I could see the impending doom & try to avoid it as I started to take the first corner on track. I think I did maybe 5 races & got to D rating and pretty much swore off SPORT mode.

Fast forward to just a few weeks out, I was bored a bit & none of the league was racing & saw Trial Mountain Reverse in B race. It's one of my favorite tracks so in I went.

D ranking was basically like playing Wreckfest & I wouldn't bother trying to get pole, I booted in with no qualifying into like P12 - proceeded to watch the dive bombing, corner slamming carnage ensue & passed more than half the field by the end of lap 1. After you broke free, I will admit you can sometimes find some clean racing.

This was repeated though the weekend through C up to B. In B, I couldn't just out run most racers & started qualifying usually P1-3.
B seemed all right with a good mix of faster racers who mostly were clean too (I think I met @TheNormsk in high C or B) but while it wasn't as bad you can't count the amount of desperate dive bombs that happen on Lap1 on using BOTH hands.

I made it to A - saw the same crap & bailed which threw me right back to B.
Never going back to the cesspool that is Sport mode ever again.

Last edited:
I'll be looking around once the headset arrrives, and dipping my toe into some groups. The last few weeks i've been paying attention to the SR ratings pre-race. SR's of B or C seem to jump out at me now, especially when you see the flat black or pink car and the "demon-servant" or some such nonsense name. At times I get that "feeling" when coming up on someone so i'll slide over and let the person behind me test the waters. Amazing how often the feeling is right and the guy gets nailed like you thought he would. After being punted in a few races it's almost a relief to be dropped down to a lower level to work my way up again. Just today got punted in race C, was then close to last and ended up having a great "battle" (probably with another victim) through the pack for 8-9 laps, almost bumper to bumper with several clean passes and pass backs!. Finished 9th and didn't care because it was so fun knowing "I can battle cleanly with this guy" and that is worth a couple of punts I guess.

Thanks for all the advice and hints.

Last edited:
This is not just GT7 that this happens in and this is a rather contradicting two videos from a real F1 driver which I feel does not help the dive bombs we experience and is a bad influence to people who like close clean racing.

Max Verstappen

A comment he made that it is not just a game

And yet he does this, which I certainly expect he would not do in real life, so is it really 'not just a game' 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back