Semi-Premium Idea

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tesla
  • 20 comments
  • 2,398 views

Tesla

Premium
Messages
2,310
United States
United States
We all know that there are only 200 premium cars in this game, but each one is 400 000 polygons and take 6 months worth of man hours to make. But what if we have a category where the cars have less polygons than premiums but more than standards? So, 100 000 polygons or thereabouts. These cars would probably take about 1.5 months worth of man hours to make. With 30ish (?) modellers on the job, we could have a car a week, after they get the car data, specs, etc. Theoretically, we could've had 100 premiums, 400 of these semi premiums and 500 standards on disk. Or have I skipped over something here?
 
Can we just have some NEW CARS please!? It's nearly half a year GT5 is out, and still NOT A SIGNLE DLC (new cars/circuits)...
 
Pat_f40
Can we just have some NEW CARS please!? It's nearly half a year GT5 is out, and still NOT A SIGNLE DLC (new cars/circuits)...

I'd agree with you if it wasn't because I realize Japan's going trough pretty rough times right now. I can't blame them if they have better things to do than model cars for a videogame, if I was in the same situation I'd do the same way.
 
We all know that there are only 200 premium cars in this game, but each one is 400 000 polygons and take 6 months worth of man hours to make. But what if we have a category where the cars have less polygons than premiums but more than standards? So, 100 000 polygons or thereabouts. These cars would probably take about 1.5 months worth of man hours to make. With 30ish (?) modellers on the job, we could have a car a week, after they get the car data, specs, etc. Theoretically, we could've had 100 premiums, 400 of these semi premiums and 500 standards on disk. Or have I skipped over something here?

We already have 'Semi-Premium' cars in the guise of the cars that were added to GT PSP (the Veyron or R8 race car for example). These were modelled using better technology and methods than GT4. It seems odd that PD didn't think ahead and model them as Premiums first, then downgrade them for GT PSP :confused:
 
Leave Standard cars alone. The look very close to Premium on replays and during races.

They should just focus on making new Premium cars for DLC. I still have a LOT of Premium cars to get and test drive so they don't need to hurry with DLC if they're even planing on it.
 
We all know that there are only 200 premium cars in this game, but each one is 400 000 polygons and take 6 months worth of man hours to make. But what if we have a category where the cars have less polygons than premiums but more than standards? So, 100 000 polygons or thereabouts. These cars would probably take about 1.5 months worth of man hours to make.

It doesn't work the way you think it works. They don't model on a per-polygon basis. They could have cut the Premium models' polygon counts in half and it still would have taken the same amount of time to build them because they're still rendering all the same things but just with more angular forms.

To slash development time, it's not about slashing the number of polygons as much as slashing the number of details that go into the car. A big time-saver would be either crudely modeling the interiors or not bothering to model them at all. While that would likely reduce the number of polygons, the fewer polygons would be a result of saving time by not bothering to model certain details rather than saving time by rendering fewer polygons.

Leave Standard cars alone. The look very close to Premium on replays and during races.

They look alright from a distance, as long as you don't get very close to them. Cars in a Wii racing game can look fantastic from a distance, too.
 
i dont think this is a good idea.... but if you havnt noticed the standards look alittle better now... also some of the standards are much better then others... i think that if the car is new to the GT series it looks good.... look at the veyron compared to Suzuki Work
 
@Teddy. The Works is from GT3, and the Veyron is from GTPSP. That's why there are differing levels of detail between some standards.
 
It would be a pointless exercise, The cars would still be sub par no matter which way you cut it, Might aswell spend the time and put it to better use making full premiums
 
I wish PD only included premium cars in GT5, then remade cars that were standard and sold them as DLC. I like consistency with video game content, and GT5 looks silly with super high detailed premium cars running around the track along with low detail standard cars.
 
Nah! I can wait, make it all premium. Better make a good job of it, perfect the game, instead of rushing it. As GT5 was supposed to be.
 
We all know that there are only 200 premium cars in this game, but each one is 400 000 polygons and take 6 months worth of man hours to make. But what if we have a category where the cars have less polygons than premiums but more than standards? So, 100 000 polygons or thereabouts. These cars would probably take about 1.5 months worth of man hours to make. With 30ish (?) modellers on the job, we could have a car a week, after they get the car data, specs, etc. Theoretically, we could've had 100 premiums, 400 of these semi premiums and 500 standards on disk. Or have I skipped over something here?

I don't mind the outlook, I just want a decent cockpit .
So I think the semi-premium is: standard car with cockpit.:)
PD! can you just build a cockpit for every standard car ?
 
I don't mind the outlook, I just want a decent cockpit .
So I think the semi-premium is: standard car with cockpit.:)
PD! can you just build a cockpit for every standard car ?

Look to GTPSP. All the cars had a generic black interior view, but it was still an interior view. Just a matter of implementing it, me thinks.
 
Interiors take much more time than exteriors to make in 3D modeling. PD could release semi-premiums (or standard car upgrades) without interiors (like the GT-R Prototype), cutting modeling time to less than half what usually needed. Full premiums with interiors could be released at a later time or in another game. This wouldn't affect model quality at all or disrupt their workflow much.
 
Last edited:
I'd agree with you if it wasn't because I realize Japan's going trough pretty rough times right now. I can't blame them if they have better things to do than model cars for a videogame, if I was in the same situation I'd do the same way.

Did you realize when GT5 came out? :dunce:
 
Look to GTPSP. All the cars had a generic black interior view, but it was still an interior view. Just a matter of implementing it, me thinks.

I haven't play GTPSP much, I just got a impression about the interior view is
just a plate without polygon.
Anyway, if PD don't want got too much workload on it, just put it in GT5 for all standard car, I don't care the visual quality!Better than nothing~
Every time I Drive a standard, I feel I like the wonderful woman.
invisible-plane.jpg

If people no like it, just don't use it~ :dopey:
 
I watched a month or so ago a gameplay video of GTHD, the sort of HD implementation of GT4 for the PS3, and when I saw some of the cars I thought that should have been the average quality of GT5's standard cars. They looked A LOT better the standards, but worse than premiums, but obviously it would have been a much smaller difference. What I don´t know is whether they had cockpit view or not, but from the outside, they looked great.
 
I idea:

S - Standrad (Low detail and No cockpit with GT4)
P - Premium (Full Detail and Cockpit)
SP - Semi-Premium (Full Detail and No cockpit) !!! i want it!
 
Already have a SP the GT-R Proto.
 
The GTR proto never had an interior in real life, it just had tinted windows.
 
Back