Senna's 190E

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 1 comments
Australia
Australia
Specs:

May 12. 1984 Nürburgring raceNürburgring, May 12, 1984 was a monumental time for the 16V. The brand new Nurburgring racetrack in Germany was hosting its first F1 race and a 190 E 2.3 16V won the supporting race which was great for public relations. Well actually, all the cars were identical 16V’s driven by many former world champions, so a 16V was destined to win, but who’s counting. Moss, Lauda, Prost and Hill were all beaten by a young upstart driver named Ayrton Senna as some of us F1 fans know went on to be a 3 time world champion. When the new Nürburgring Grand Prix circuit opened in May 1984, the inaugural race was a celebrity affair arranged by Mercedes, who had launched their 190 E 2.3-16 just months before. It was meant as a light-hearted jape to generate publicity for the new car and track, but not everyone saw it that way. Mercedes provided 20 identical near road-spec 190s for a 12 lap race, and gathered together a strong field of Formula One drivers past, present and future to provide the thrills. Nine of them - Sir Jack Brabham (1959, 1960 and 1966), Phil Hill (1961), John Surtees (1964), Denny Hulme (1967), Niki Lauda (1975 and 1977), Alan Jones (1980) and Keke Rosberg (1982) - were former world champions, while another - Stirling Moss - could arguably claim to be the greatest of them all. Of the remainder - Carlos Reutemann, John Watson, Klaus Ludwig, Manfred Schute, Jacques Laffite, Udo Schutz, Hans Hermann, Elio de Angelis, Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna - all had exemplary records in International racing. For hell-raisers like Hunt and Rosberg, the race was a chance to have fun, while Moss, Surtees and Hermann had barely raced for decades. But for the young Senna, a virtual unknown who had made his F1 debut just two months before, this was an opportunity to prove himself by beating F1's established stars. And win he did, fending off the attentions of Niki Lauda, Carlos Reutemann and Keke Rosberg. In The Hard Edge of Genius by Christopher Hilton, John Watson remembers: 'Ayrton took it very, very seriously. His attitude was that he had to win it. That day was cold and wet and he did a bloody good job.' The race was also Senna's first meeting - and first confrontation - with his arch rival Alain Prost, who recalled in an interview with Nigel Roebuck in 1998: 'I was coming from Geneva to Frankfurt on a scheduled flight, and Ayrton was due to land half an hour before, so Gerd Kremer of Mercedes asked me if I would bring him to the track. On the way we chatted, and he was very pleasant. Then we got to the track, and practised the cars. I was on pole with Ayrton second - After that he didn't talk to me any more! It seemed funny at the time. Then in the race, I took the lead - and he pushed me off the track after half a lap. So that was a good start...' After the race, an elated Senna said of his victory: 'Now I know I can do it'. Compared to the producion cars the transmission was adjusted to 4,08:1 instead of standard 3,08:1 so that they reached the top speed of 190 kmh. In comparison, the Nardo car transmission had 2,65:1 to reach top speed at 260km/h. Furthermore the cars were 15mm lower, had thicker strutbars, a rollcage, racing tires, bigger brake calipers, front and middle exhausts were removed too. But the cars kept their electrical seat adjustment.

Remembering Senna's birthday.

Is anybody going to host this one make series with 190Es?

Track: Nurburgring

Colour: Schwarz or Rauch Siber

Specs: as per bottom of the paragraph

http://www.mb190e16v.com/Templates/Mercedes_the car body.htm

Last edited:
I can host this One Make Series with 190Es but before that, I need to know where you live. I'm from Portugal and I have to know if I can because it depends of my time.

Anyways, for more informations, please PM on GTPlanet.

I'll add you later. Anyways, you have an great idea because I never seen One Make of 190E's before.

Back