Serious oversteer issues

Shaggy_Alonso
I always seem to get crazy oversteer at certain turns;

Nurburgring, turn 5
Monaco Mirabeau - turn 4 (and sometimes Anthony Noghes, turn 19)
Imola, Rivazza - turn 14 (not so much oversteer, rather just general instability)
Istanbul, turn 4 (i've found this one impossible to get right, I must lose about a second every lap because of this corner alone)
Interlagos, Curva do Sol - turn 1

There may be a couple more that I have forgotten. What is the best way to cure this? I find that the more camber I put on the more oversteer I get in these corners but you often need the camber to get round the circuit quickly. I've tried toggling with the wings and camber, giving the rear end more grip but it doesnt seem to do much. Does brake bias affect these oversteer moments? What about toe in/out?

I have the same problem in Brazil and turn 2 in Malaysia. I find rasing the floor helps because I think its caused by the floor bottoming out on the ground going down the hills but your right with camber settings and anti-roll aswell, give loads of grip to the back and a lot less to the front, if that dosent work I cheat by switching on stability!

Lads

I initiallly had those same issues, here is my solution.

The amount of rear camber is I'm sure your problem. I have found that the game makers have not been able to find a good value for camber that matches what I know are real world numbers. Try 0.0 and see how much faster and deeper you 'll be able to go.

Beyond that soften springs and rear controlswaybar in small step for improvement

I cured all you mentioned with those corrections.

Cheers

Robert

Thanks I'll try that sometime, but it'll be awhile, hope to get prologue tomorrow and wont have time to try those adjustments tonight and after that F1 is going to take a back seat. I'd love to be confident enough to switch off stability through those corners but if when you do lose the car you have little or no chance of winning the race but I will give it ago some day.

All I did was decrease the front and rear camber to 0. That cured all my problems. Turning will suffer over the rest of the track, though. My main problems were always at Brazil and Turkey.

All I did was decrease the front and rear camber to 0. That cured all my problems. Turning will suffer over the rest of the track, though. My main problems were always at Brazil and Turkey.

If turning is affected after changing the rear camber to 0 then dial in some Toe out on the front. this shud encourage the car to turn into a bend more confidently.

or alternatively if the 0.0 rear camber settings arent completly cured try using some rear toe in as this SHOULD in theory discourage the car to oversteer. Toe out is the complete opposite so in this case should NOT be used. 👍

P.S: all of this comes from my own experience in both GT and the real world. my mates race Formula ford which are fully adjustable suspension all round and also my own AE86 drift car which has a solid rear axle so the only toe/camber settings can be adjusted up front.

I have ultimately revisited the camber issue and found in testing that some camber can be used to stabilise the high speed corners without too much comprimise in off camber corners such as Senna S and Pinheirinho at Brazil.Laranjinha and Mergulho can be a bit slower but the trade off into 1 and 6 will cost you more time going around. So as always you have to comprimise to get the best laptime.

Turns one and Four at Turkey offer some similar challenges, late heavy braking also contributes to these and you should evalute brake bias and again rear spring rates and sway bar.

Toe in has a direct effect on top speed and sometimes stability so consider as close to 0 as possible. This also makes the car darty but just like fighter Aircraft close to unstable is fast.

My experience with the set ups of others is that they generally spring the car too stiffly and comprimize mechanical grip. While this is not Bosch Lapsim it is a very faithful simulation. I find with my steering wheel and this program it delivers as good as it gets without 6 Axis hydraulics. Small cues like wind noise reduction and draft influence are not as realistic as in Gt4 and 5 but still I think it is an excellent gaming experience. And no I don't work for these guys.

Cheers
Robert

I think my experience has been that with more camber you need to apply more throttle as you come thru these turns in order to prevent the car from oversteering - the balance of the car is quite different from the way it is with neutral camber.

Back