Serious question...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Race_Fit
  • 21 comments
  • 1,704 views
Messages
37
Messages
theBizMachine
I've had my PS3 for about a month now, bought GT5P when I got my PS3. I bought a wheel maybe a week later. I've been racing the wheel and no aids, Pro physics, for a little while now, but like many of you time isn't on my side. Between work, bouldering, surfing, and my Super Star Dust addiction, GT5P wheel time is few and far between. And really I want to get to online races more than anything. To take part in the community, and see actual people control cars and not AI cars which I swear are on tracks even in pro physics. I consider myself a good racer, I always hit my apexes, use the most of the track, basically I'm dragging my IRL experience into the game with auto-x and rally-x. But there are some things that just kill me. Racing Fuji in the GTR for example is nigh impossible for me. I am fine for the first 80% of the track. But near the end of it, when you have those last 2 corners in which you have to brake while turning, I always lose the back end, and if I don't I'm going too slow.

I'm ranting...

Did everyone here beat the game with pro physics the whole way? Should I go back to normal to just get enough money and races to buy the last 2 cars I need to get the hell out of A class events?

I really would rather not go back to standard physics, if I wanted to play an arcade racer I would have gotten GRiD.

I'm trying to get the SP portion of this game done, to join the community online, but man is it time consuming and annoying.
 
Some of the A races are quite challenging on pro physics, and the S-class races are a bit more challenging than that too (they get unlocked when you beat the A-class)
Plenty of people here, me included reckon that some of the races are near impossible to beat on pro physics.

The good part is that when you've beaten A-class, you can tune your cars to better match your driving style, and that could help you for your pro-physics A-class gold medals.

If you keep having problems with a certain track or car, get to the online rankingboard, download either a ghost-car or replay from the track and car of your choice, and check the onboard-replay with the HUD full on. It can help you nail that special corner better.
 
I beat the game on single player but I've heard it's gotten more difficult since the update. I do remember a couple of the challenges taking me a few days to get past. If you're really getting hacked off with it just switch to std physics or download a savegame.
 
note on the online replays:
Be aware that the tire-choice on timetrials is usually different from the event-races. (S1/S2 vs. R1/R3)
 
So basically the fact that I'm having such trouble isn't going on my driving so much, and just the incredible difficulty.

I don't mind placing 4th or 5th in races to the computer, it does get annoying when I'm trying to earn money to buy the freaking Ferrari F430 and Corvette so I can move on and tune my cars...
 
So basically the fact that I'm having such trouble isn't going on my driving so much, and just the incredible difficulty.
Pretty much.

Once I ran up against the pro-physics difficulty wall (somewhere in the A class events), I copied my save game to a new account, switched the physics to standard, and blitzed through the events to get online.

I'd intended on going back and finishing everything on pro physics, but haven't bothered.
 
There is no shame in driving with standard physics.

The A class events are actually pretty easy on standard, especially since you don't have a PP limit in most races.
 
Alrighty, thanks for the responses. I didn't want to set my driving back any in the game seeing as it requires such a high level of skill to compete at the top. Typically I finish in the top 50 in my cars when I do TT so I wasn't sure if this was just a fluke or anything...

Rambling now lol.

Thank you again for the responses.
 
So basically the fact that I'm having such trouble isn't going on my driving so much, and just the incredible difficulty.

I don't mind placing 4th or 5th in races to the computer, it does get annoying when I'm trying to earn money to buy the freaking Ferrari F430 and Corvette so I can move on and tune my cars...

I was in nearly the identical situation as you: I've only EVER driven in Pro physics and with all aids off. I did not (and will not) switch down to standard physics, and I successfully completed A class. You do not need all gold finishes to clear the events - bronze will do. And frankly I have either bronze or gold, because in most cases the difference between silver and gold is so slight that if you manage to beat bronze you'll get gold anyway.

I've all gold in C class, all but 1 in gold in B class, and a mix of gold and bronze in A class. I don't have records in front of me but I know that the ITR at High Speed Ring one-lapper is bronze, as are the Evo and M3 at the Eiger. The F430 at Daytona Road is bronze and will forever remain that way - brace yourself, because the car is ridiculous and the AI obnoxious. Now I have cleared it I have no intention of ever going back.

It is doable. Don't give up on the Pro physics.
 
Don't give up on the Pro physics.


It all depends on what is important to you. If you want to do it in pro, then more power to you. Some have a pride thing of never driving on standard. Others just want to enjoy themselves.

The S7 and S10 events are not gimmes even on standard.
 
I'd rather finish 3rd in pro than bother with standard physics. Actually i'd rather finish last, cut my berries off and trade my copy of prologue in on the last version of ridge racer. I've got all gold in C class, mostly gold with a few bronzes in the rest, as Duke said it is doable.
 
Racing Fuji in the GTR for example is nigh impossible for me. I am fine for the first 80% of the track. But near the end of it, when you have those last 2 corners in which you have to brake while turning, I always lose the back end, and if I don't I'm going too slow.

I'm ranting...

I love driving my GTR's but I have the same problem as you with the back end breaking loose under braking. I don't think we are the only ones either. The GTR is very forgiving except if you slam on the brakes. I brake early and use the power to the front wheel drive to pull me out of the corners. The GTR seems to respond to that and it works well for me. I also find the GTR doesn't seem to loose much speed when traction isn't 100%. The GTR isn't great in a straight line but in the twisty bits and particularly pulling strongly out of corners it has no peer in the game in my experience.
 
I did the game on Pro physics, with all aids off.
I am a long way from being a great driver, but the game can be clocked with patience and perseverance. I don't have all golds.. in fact not many at all in the A and S class.
The S class F40 around Suzuka was my biggest challenge, I probably did 50 - 70 attempts just to crack that. And this was all done before the latest update, so I can't comment on the difficulty since.
As has been said, maybe the best way to learn is to go arcade, and load a top ten ghost lap, and see how the real fast guys get around. Its all to do with precision, balance and control of the gas pedal, and DON'T over drive.
I still can't get close to the fast times, but I am closer than i was, and doing it easier.

Simple answer: practise.

If i was a faster more consistent driver, I'd kick all your asses! :sly:
 
I dont see what the fuss is about doing it in pro or standard. When i got to A class i couldnt be bothered with hours of doing repeated tests just to get into online expert races, so standard it was. The gold and the bronze means nothing to me. One's skill is not measured by passing a whole grid of AI cars on a single lap nor by TT while drafting AI cars but by reaction time and decision making while racing against other humans, but that's just my 0.02.
 
I've stuck with Pro for the time being. I cleared A tests with some difficulty but S is a wee bit harder. The last section of Fuji is a pain for me too. In general I don't do my overtaking there (in the S level test).

Prior to the last update (due to work I haven't tried it again) I found it impossible as I'd get penalised for AI drivers hitting me. Either I'd get passed them and they'd shunt me from behind at the next corner or they'd touch the side of my car (towards the back) as they turned in having not seen me.

I got a little upset over this and my wife threatened to turn the game off! Anyway, I hope to be able to give it another go soon.

I think I'll persist with Pro but I'm not going for all golds. In fact it's strange, some of the tests I get first time and others take days........ Perhaps there are just some that suit me better.
 
I beat most of it on professional mode, but there were some races I just couldn't beat on professional mode, so I wimped out and did it in standard mode. ;)

Luke
 
I love driving my GTR's but I have the same problem as you with the back end breaking loose under braking. I don't think we are the only ones either.


Are u using abs? I tend to keep it off with most cars and have noticed braking into a corner with it off gives a trail brake effect. But as you mentioned, the GTR is bit extreme. Brake into suzuka trn 1 without abs and god forbid u give it some steering angle....rear is coming around on you!
 
I did completed the game when it first came out. Not sure how hard it is not with the different tyres.

Through the events Id say 90% can be done on pro. There are some that were impossible on pro when it came out. For example the M3 around Eigar. I spent agggges trying that on pro and was still seconds out. Did it on standard and within a few laps had it done. Im sure there were about 3 events like this.

Otherwise most can be done on pro, just keep trying 👍
 
Are u using abs? I tend to keep it off with most cars and have noticed braking into a corner with it off gives a trail brake effect. But as you mentioned, the GTR is bit extreme. Brake into suzuka trn 1 without abs and god forbid u give it some steering angle....rear is coming around on you!

Almost made it... please take the extra 2 seconds per post and type out "you" instead of "u" - we frown on txt spk here at GTP.
;)
 
Whoops :dunce: sort of slipped out. Hopefully, though, it didn't keep anyone from reading my post.
 
Back