Seriously, what's wrong with the AI?

• Thread starter MacBaby
  • 25 comments
Denmark
Denmark
MacBabyDK
I've been wanting to get to know the Nürburgring Nordschleife a bit better, as I am going to visit it in real life, and so I've been running a bunch of custom races with the AI, with 11 cars on intermediate.

And if you thought that the humans in Sport-mode races are driving unfair, then wait until you discover the AI-sportsmanship - or lack of same. It's a paradox that PD wants to teach us how to race fairly, when the AI-cars on every opportunity there is, are pitting you, using you as brake, blocking you and generally driving like assholes, trying to prevent you from overtaking them at all costs.

Have you experienced the same? I don't recall this being a problem in the previous GT-titles..

Yep, In previous GT's the AI were pushovers sticking religiously to the racing line albeit very slowly, The new AI just doesn't work, There is absolutely zero spacial awareness or anything, The intelligence part is really lacking. Just my experience with the open beta.

Just max everything out, they're pretty good on max settings I thought. They take the inside line to block you, common move. Other than that seem to be pretty safe. Maybe it's due to the Nurb being a thin track.

Try on a more standard track I thought they were pretty good, hard but fair.

I know that the Nürburgring is a pretty narrow track, but I think it's really deliberate when you actually see in the rearview mirror, that the AI-car out of the blue swerves, just to hit you in the back panel to send you flying into the sand :crazy:

I haven't noticed anything quite that egregious, but they do come down on you when you've established the inside line on them which is a pretty big sportsmanship no-no IRL

I've been wanting to get to know the Nürburgring Nordschleife a bit better, as I am going to visit it in real life, and so I've been running a bunch of custom races with the AI, with 11 cars on intermediate.

And if you thought that the humans in Sport-mode races are driving unfair, then wait until you discover the AI-sportsmanship - or lack of same. It's a paradox that PD wants to teach us how to race fairly, when the AI-cars on every opportunity there is, are pitting you, using you as brake, blocking you and generally driving like assholes, trying to prevent you from overtaking them at all costs.

Have you experienced the same? I don't recall this being a problem in the previous GT-titles..
My last few custom races where all on the ring with AI set to professional and without boost and i didnt have any aggresive AI drivers to deal with, didnt get hit once like you described - maybe they drive cleaner on professional?

Ups and downs - I've been taken out on the final corner of a couple of races by an over aggressive AI, but I do like how you can power up behind them when you're lapping the slower cars and if you flash your lights, they actually seem to try and get out of your way.

Actually you could say that AI is kinda preparing you for what you are going against when you go and race online...(lol)

... so I've been running a bunch of custom races with the AI, with 11 cars on intermediate.
That might be your problem- if you want a race, set them to pro. They can actually be quite competent. If you want to practice passing much slower cars, still set them to pro but put them in slower cars (if that's possible).

I found that the AI can actually be relatively competent at that level. It's not perfect but it's better than dumbing them down with the difficulty. Of course they're going to drive poorly if you do that.

Just do like everyone else that’s boycotting sport mode, and use the AI as a barrier to brake and turn. Then bask in 1st place and go to school the next day and brag about how your 900hp skyline lapped all the Miatas ever.

The AI are very good now but they do things like ramming and blocking to make you as a driver be more aware of them not only in front but at your side and behind. Master the AI and your good for sport mode.

i like AI on pro without turbo and everything else active but the things i don't like is that AI doesn't fit (on GT3 or Gr.3) softer tyres in pit strategy, they race only on hard. I hope Polyphony will update it to offer a better experience

i like AI on pro without turbo and everything else active but the things i don't like is that AI doesn't fit (on GT3 or Gr.3) softer tyres in pit strategy, they race only on hard. I hope Polyphony will update it to offer a better experience

There is nothing stopping you using hard tyres.

i'm doing it and i start from the last position always, but the strategy is useless without possibility of changing tyres.
they did it so well to put in this game but they did it so bad at same time.
another thing that i hope PD will update are Ai lines, in many sectors cars are braking than flat out.

Last edited:
It's quite telling that every Mission Challenge race starts with you being multiple seconds behind and having to pass cars one-by-one. It's almost as if Polyphony is avoiding a traditional rolling/gridded start for some reason...

Starting with GT4 PD added rolling starts, Laguna Seca comes to mind, over the next series of games the distance between cars became greater to the point where on certain tracks the lead car could be a quarter lap ahead.

To PD, I think this became the solution and not the fix to the AI problem. In real life sports car racing, I don’t think I have ever seen a single file rolling start of a race where the driver doesn’t get to get on the gas at the same time as P1 when the flag is dropped.

I think PD found it easier to give the AI a big head start and the player to chase them down in a couple of laps, thus what was making racing against the AI in past games quit boring. Racing was almost like you where at the end of a long race, the head car was P1 and you where P2 trying to make your way through a bunch of backmarkers.

Well, i played some Arcade games at expert.

I wouldn't say the A.I. is aggressive or lazy, it's just nothing special.

I always finished at first place, even at Expert. It wasn't easy but it's not that difficult either.

If you consider, i drive stick with the X and square buttons, you can realize that the A.I. is more than forgiving.

However, i didn't tried Nürburgring yet. I may give it a try. ;)

Last edited:
That might be your problem- if you want a race, set them to pro. They can actually be quite competent. If you want to practice passing much slower cars, still set them to pro but put them in slower cars (if that's possible).

I found that the AI can actually be relatively competent at that level. It's not perfect but it's better than dumbing them down with the difficulty. Of course they're going to drive poorly if you do that.
Why are they 'of course' going to do that?

Pace, aggression and spatial awareness are all very different things, and no reason at all exists for the AI to be worse drivers at lower speeds.

In short, nothing is "wrong" with the AI. General Discussion would of been good for that question imo.
Many disagree and please do not tell other members where to post either, if you feel a thread is in the wrong place then inform the staff using the report button.

And I'm sure many agree, a more constructive OP title would of been far better for me and everyone else browsing the forum.
Ahh the report button, didn't realise it existed. Just getting annoying with the forum filling up with "URRRMAGURRRD" threads.

I also didn't tell anyone to do anything. Merely a suggestion.

Back