Serving a penalty?

• Thread starter gapper59
  • 7 comments
United States
Addison IL.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Sometimes I'll ease off the gas a little bit and the penalty clock runs down quickly.
Sometimes I slow down a lot and cant get the clock to move. haven't been able to figure it out.
Is there a certain speed you have to slow down to?
Or maybe a certain part of the track?

Thanks for any help

I don't understand the system but it's clearly a stupid system because most of the time you can get rid of the penalty by driving normally, as opposed to actually losing the time it tells you.

I just suggest to do it in corners (but not when someone is right behind you). The exits of corners are especially good, even more so if there isn't a long straight after.

I've never totally figured out the stupid system, but I let it run off at part throttle whenever it lets me.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Sometimes I'll ease off the gas a little bit and the penalty clock runs down quickly.
Sometimes I slow down a lot and cant get the clock to move. haven't been able to figure it out.
Is there a certain speed you have to slow down to?
Or maybe a certain part of the track?

Thanks for any help
Generally speaking, the rule is that if the game expects you to be fully on the throttle (as you will be for most of most laps) and you aren't, the penalty will reduce. The less on the throttle you are, the quicker it reduces, to about a rate of 2s per second if you're not on the throttle at all. It won't reduce in braking zones at all.

That said, it doesn't always work like that.

It is also a very handy thing to help you go faster!
If you are driving normally and managing to get the penalty to reduce, then you are not going fast enough.
Ultimately you want to be able to do a full lap without reducing the penalty, then you’re on the pace.
If you’re qualifying and get a penalty, don’t restart the lap, carry on and use it as a chance to see where you can go quicker. Obviously clear it before the last corner though

Just take it to the end and show you can drive at full pace :)
At least don't be that guy that stalls in the last corner or right before the finish line.

Edit: practice what you preach I guess:

Got in a dirty race with 3 dive bombers in the room taking their turns diving on me, I blocked one and returned the favor on another yet ended up with 11 sec penalty as he steered into me and went off track. Dropped to 13th at the finish, only cost 600 DR though, worth it.

Lot of dive bombers out on Dragontrail tonight. Every race now.

Last edited:
i let off throttle between shifts to wear down that penalty until its gone. usually works for me without losing too much pace.

I think I got one of the passing under yellow flag penalties during qualifying for the FIA manufacturer race. I didn't even know that was possible. Anyone else have this happen?

Back