"Set in Sequence" ???

• Thread starter SpdD3m0n36
  • 20 comments
United States
U.S. East Coast
PhycickKiLLeR36
First off to make posting my thread easier I'm going to copy something I got from the forums a while back.

What does "Set in Sequence" mean?

set in order

set 6th
set 5th
set 4th etc.

If you don't set them in that order you won't be able to reach the numbers.

OK now to my problem. I can't get it to work properly & I've tried various different ways. I'm tired of not winning the Seasonal's because I can't get the gears figured out properly. I'm a decent driver but a mechanic I'm not. I'm trying to win the Renault Megane R.S. Trophy '11 Seasonal. I got a tune that works pretty good but I can't get the gear ratio's to work right. Here is the tune for the tranny with the default ratio's.

FC Trans
Set final gear to 5.000
set max speed to 112mph
1st 2.385
2nd 1.865
3rd 1.480
4th 1.218
5th 1.033
6th 0.915
set final gear to 3.900 (tuned for seasonal race)

Engine will redline in 6th gear near the end of the long straight (start/finish straight) if you need a higher top speed, adjust the final gear to 3.800 or 3.750.

Max spd= 162
1st 2.561
2nd 1.778
3rd 1.322
4th 1.029
5th 0.838
6th 0.714

Final 4.184

So how do I get it to work properly??? I'm hoping some of you top drivers can help me out....

First off to make posting my thread easier I'm going to copy something I got from the forums a while back.

What does "Set in Sequence" mean?

set in order

set 6th
set 5th
set 4th etc.

If you don't set them in that order you won't be able to reach the numbers.

OK now to my problem. I can't get it to work properly & I've tried various different ways. I'm tired of not winning the Seasonal's because I can't get the gears figured out properly. I'm a decent driver but a mechanic I'm not. I'm trying to win the Renault Megane R.S. Trophy '11 Seasonal. I got a tune that works pretty good but I can't get the gear ratio's to work right. Here is the tune for the tranny with the default ratio's.

FC Trans
Set final gear to 5.000
set max speed to 112mph
1st 2.385
2nd 1.865
3rd 1.480
4th 1.218
5th 1.033
6th 0.915
set final gear to 3.900 (tuned for seasonal race)

Engine will redline in 6th gear near the end of the long straight (start/finish straight) if you need a higher top speed, adjust the final gear to 3.800 or 3.750.

Max spd= 162
1st 2.561
2nd 1.778
3rd 1.322
4th 1.029
5th 0.838
6th 0.714

Final 4.184

So how do I get it to work properly??? I'm hoping some of you top drivers can help me out....
I thought the layout looked familiar.

The way I setup cars is this
1st add power parts
2nd add suspension settings
3rd set LSD settings and clutch parts
4th set up the gear box by:
setting the final gear to a chosen setting
changing the max speed
setting the gear box (starting at 1st gear and working through the gears in sequential order)
once the individual gears have been set, I change the final gear to a lower value to create the top speed the car will achieve.

(important note. If you set the gear settings before the power parts are applied, the settings will not be attainable. You will need to go back to standard transmission and then re-apply the FC transmission to make the changes required.)

Hope that helps.

Step 1) Fit any listed power parts
Some power parts change the rev limit of the engine and therefore the numbers in the transmission. If you are not using the correct parts as listed in the tune then there is a possibility that you will not be able to reach the stated numbers.

Step 2) Fit Custom transmission
Once the parts are fitted then fit the transmission, it will automatically calibrate to match the capability of the engine.

Step 3) Set Final Ratio
Do this first (important)

Step 4) Set max speed
Do this second (important)

Step 5) Tune individual gears
Because the gears are all connected rather than being individual, changing one gear will directly effect the rest of them. The usual way of setting gears is to start at the highest gear (usually 5th/6th) and work your way backwards to 1st. If you do it the other way round you may have lengthened/shortened the higher gears and won't be able to reach the stated numbers.

Step 6) Set Final Ratio again
This final change to the Final sets the top speed of the car, further to the left makes the top speed higher but acceleration slower, further to the right lowers the top speed but increases acceleration.

It is important to also reset the transmission if you have messed up somewhere along the line so you can go back to step 1 without making any unforseen alterations that may effect future outcomes. To do this simply reinstall the stock transmission and then equip the Fully Custom unit.
In short, transmissions are really quite complicated. Most tuners try to start from a fixed point so that it can be replicated easily so it is important to do things in order and follow the instructions to the letter to avoid issues. If you have further problems then contact the tuner and ask them how they did it, sometimes honest mistakes are made and the numbers might actually be wrong.

Step 1) Fit any listed power parts
Some power parts change the rev limit of the engine and therefore the numbers in the transmission. If you are not using the correct parts as listed in the tune then there is a possibility that you will not be able to reach the stated numbers.

Step 2) Fit Custom transmission
Once the parts are fitted then fit the transmission, it will automatically calibrate to match the capability of the engine.

Step 3) Set Final Ratio
Do this first (important)

Step 4) Set max speed
Do this second (important)

Because the gears are all connected rather than being individual, changing one gear will directly effect the rest of them. The usual way of setting gears is to start at the highest gear (usually 5th/6th) and work your way backwards to 1st. If you do it the other way round you may have lengthened/shortened the higher gears and won't be able to reach the stated numbers.

Step 6) Set Final Ratio again
This final change to the Final sets the top speed of the car, further to the left makes the top speed higher but acceleration slower, further to the right lowers the top speed but increases acceleration.

It is important to also reset the transmission if you have messed up somewhere along the line so you can go back to step 1 without making any unforseen alterations that may effect future outcomes. To do this simply reinstall the stock transmission and then equip the Fully Custom unit.
In short, transmissions are really quite complicated. Most tuners try to start from a fixed point so that it can be replicated easily so it is important to do things in order and follow the instructions to the letter to avoid issues. If you have further problems then contact the tuner and ask them how they did it, sometimes honest mistakes are made and the numbers might actually be wrong.
True. Honest mistakes are occasionally made, I have done this myself with a tune or two. I didn't know about the working backwards bit (ie. 5/6th gear down to first) .. You learn something new everyday. I think I am stuck in my ways now with gear settings though. I will look into this!

True. Honest mistakes are occasionally made, I have done this myself with a tune or two. I didn't know about the working backwards bit (ie. 5/6th gear down to first) .. You learn something new everyday. I think I am stuck in my ways now with gear settings though. I will look into this!
Yeah same, I try to maintain accurate figures and methods but it only takes a few numbers in the wrong place, easy mistake and you don't tend to notice until someone points it out.
If you look at the @praiano63 method of transmission tuning then it involves setting the highest gear all the way to the right (once final/max are done), if you don't work your way back from the highest gear then you won't be able to reach the same numbers in certain gears.
I didn't really know about these little subtleties until I started looking into transmissions more thoroughly. There's still a lot to learn though, I'm just experimenting with new methods and trying to make sense of it in my own head really.

I have 8 different methods of setting up transmissions which I explain the steps thoroughly in each setup. Also, everything is in mph. I have found that at least one of my methods will end up working better than the rest, depending on the car and track. 👍

W0W !!! alrighty then guy's thanks for the info. I checked my mail early this morning round 9am eastern time & only saw the 1st post so I decided to try what that person said & I got silver my 1st lap !! but still could not manage a gold :irked: :confused: :banghead:

Here some pics I took with my cell ph, sorry if the quality sucks...

The 3rd pic shows the gear ratio's I was trying to achieve & the last 2 are supposed to be these numbers. 5th 1.033 - 6th 0.915 not what's listed in the pic.

Attachments

• KIMG0017_Resized 01.jpg
    KIMG0017_Resized 01.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 7
  • KIMG0018_Resized 02.jpg
    KIMG0018_Resized 02.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 7
  • KIMG0019_Resized 03.jpg
    KIMG0019_Resized 03.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
W0W !!! alrighty then guy's thanks for the info. I checked my mail early this morning round 9am eastern time & only saw the 1st post so I decided to try what that person said & I got silver my 1st lap !! but still could not manage a gold :irked: :confused: :banghead:

Here some pics I took with my cell ph, sorry if the quality sucks...

The 3rd pic shows the gear ratio's I was trying to achieve & the last 2 are supposed to be these numbers. 5th 1.033 - 6th 0.915 not what's listed in the pic.
It looks like you've set the gearing from 1st - 6th.
Install the power parts (engine stage/exhaust/turbo etc.)
Reset the transmission (re-install the stock trans then install the custom unit)
Follow the instructions for final/max speed
This time set the gears 6th-5th-4th-3rd-2nd-1st and see if you get the numbers you are looking for

Who cares if it does'nt add up exactley the same, just adjust the final gear a bit to make it work.
The gearbox setup is'nt that important anyway.

et_
Who cares if it does'nt add up exactley the same, just adjust the final gear a bit to make it work.
The gearbox setup is'nt that important anyway.

Really? Well, I beg to differ with you. I have some transmission setups than can make a world of difference in some cars, sometimes up to .500 difference. Like I've said before, I have like 8 different ways to set up the transmission and there is always at least one that proves to be faster than the rest. If you're overlooking the gearbox and not giving it the attention it needs, you are making a huge mistake. And yes, my knowledge comes from countless hours of relentless testing so I am not just shooting from the hip with my statements here.

As noted by Dolhaus, you are likely setting the gears in the wrong order. Most tuners set it up from 1st to 6th but some do it the opposite.....where you are saying set in order etc means that you set the gears in the order listed so, in your example, you set 6th gear first, then 5th gear, then 4th gear and down rather than the usual 1st up

As noted by Dolhaus, you are likely setting the gears in the wrong order. Most tuners set it up from 1st to 6th but some do it the opposite.....where you are saying set in order etc means that you set the gears in the order listed so, in your example, you set 6th gear first, then 5th gear, then 4th gear and down rather than the usual 1st up
The gears noted in this thread were set up from 1st to 6th in ascending order. I think to clear this thread up. Once I have finished driving around in the Ayrton Senna F3 car, I will go back, remove the gearing for the car in question and reapply fresh gear settings.

I have just gone back to the Renault Megane Seasonal tune and re-applied the standard transmission to reset the transmission settings. I then set the transmission to FC Transmission and did these following steps in the order they are written down.

I have also put the position (%) of the gear in the gear setting for those who for some reason do not have the same figures which I have on my screen. If they do not match, set the gear box to approximately the %'s and the speed of the car will be very very similar to the speed of my car and it will have the same acceleration and handling.

FC Trans
(Apply once all power parts have been added)

Set final gear to 5.000
set max speed to 112mph
1st 2.385 (0%)
2nd 1.865 (between 16-20%)
3rd 1.480 (about 40%)
4th 1.218 (about 55%)
5th 1.033 (about 75%)
6th 0.915 (100%)
set final gear to 3.750 (tuned for seasonal race)

Hopefully this clears it up.

Last edited:
Really? Well, I beg to differ with you. I have some transmission setups than can make a world of difference in some cars, sometimes up to .500 difference. Like I've said before, I have like 8 different ways to set up the transmission and there is always at least one that proves to be faster than the rest. If you're overlooking the gearbox and not giving it the attention it needs, you are making a huge mistake. And yes, my knowledge comes from countless hours of relentless testing so I am not just shooting from the hip with my statements here.
I've found that putting the gears closer together, and adjusting so that you just hit rev limit at the end of the longest straight givers you alot of time over the stock gearbox. but the super-tedious fiddeling with different setup configuration and fine tuning (that I am well aware that you do, and do good)... well, at tops it gives you 0.1 sec over the basic setup I mentioned above. And if you look at his previous post he's running 1:39 times, in wich case that 0.1 sec is redundant really since its sooooo far of the potential of both him and the car.

Last edited:
et_
I've found that putting the gears closer together, and adjusting so that you just hit rev limit at the end of the longest straight givers you alot of time over the stock gearbox. but the super-tedious fiddeling with different setup configuration and fine tuning (that I am well aware that you do, and do good)... well, at tops it gives you 0.1 sec over the basic setup I mentioned above. And if you look at his previous post he's running 1:39 times, in wich case that 0.1 sec is redundant really since its sooooo far of the potential of both him and the car.

This is simply not true. Different cars with different powerbands can benefit greatly with the right trans settings. Your "generic" way of setting up the gearbox is not always the best way. Like I said, using the right method for a particular car/track combo, you can gain as much as .500.....and who wouldn't love to have that kind of improvement just from changing transmission methods. With as great of a driver as you are Elias, I really think you are cheating yourself out of some great lap times by just using the "generic" method you speak of. And as I've also said before, you can affect the cars handling to an extent with the right gearbox.

Anyways, continue doing things the way you want, I 'm just trying to give you some insight on what I've found to be helpful through my testing. Stay fast my friend.:cheers:

In cars with really wacky powerbands like the Zonda C12, where the power band peaks early and drops quickly, the gain is even higher. I remember testing that particular car at Indy and found more than a full second per lap there with the right setup. The closer to "ideal" a powerband gets (high and peaky and best in the last 1000 rpm) the less you gain from tuning for the powerband, but for most cars in the game if you're shooting for a personal best or a race win against some stiff competition, tuning the transmission is an easy gain.

Another way to gain from transmission tuning is by eliminating gear changes. Sometimes you take a car out and there are only one or two second gear corners for example and you're getting a lot of wheelspin and having control issues. You can often benefit from shortening 3rd gear to launch from the slower corners, eliminating 2 shifts per lap and the control issues at the same time.

Lots of good info on this thread! I hope @SpdD3m0n36 was able to clear up the numbers on the transmission problem and get Gold!

Another way to gain from transmission tuning is by eliminating gear changes. Sometimes you take a car out and there are only one or two second gear corners for example and you're getting a lot of wheelspin and having control issues. You can often benefit from shortening 3rd gear to launch from the slower corners, eliminating 2 shifts per lap and the control issues at the same time.
I havnt thought about this before. Being a DS3 user, X smashing driver, i have always found wheelspin as a huge enemy for me exiting corners. This Myfriend could very well help me out A LOT! THANK YOU:tup:

Again, something else i was not aware of. I will definitely do some testing of my own just to see how it works for myself. As far as i can remember (not very far) I have never paid attention when using someones tune making sure I'm going 1-2-3-4 or 6-5-4-3. Because i DO make sure to do exactly as the tune sheet says, i may not have found problems. But i would like to intentionally adjust single gears in a different order and see if i can get the same outcome. Im sure your correct. just Interesting food for thought.

OK so I have done the tuning of the tranny but still can't manage gold. I find the the last turn is the biggest hindrance & the fact that the whole time ( well most the whole time ) my tires are screeching. Also I'm using a regular 6 axis PS3 controller ( the black one that comes w/the PS3 ) I'm starting to guess that most of you have a wheel setup & also do manual gear changing. Well those 2 probs I can't fix, don't have a steering wheel & can't drive a manual tranny.

Then I also wonder just how long it REALLY takes most of you to get the gold, most say 1 to 3 tries. I tried for an hour & still didn't get beyond silver. I've tried braking in all the proper spots & I've tried most if not all turns w/out braking as not to lose speed. Honestly I think it's a bit much to go thru just for a paint chip. I'm really disappointed in GT6. Why the hell did they have to go & make EVERYTHING F:censored:n timed ??!! :banghead: :mad: It's just a thought & some frustration being let out is all. I do thank all for their help I watched that Japanese video & it really did me no good as it looked to me like mostly the same path I follow w/the driving line on anyway & 2nd of all I don't understand Japanese....

OK so I have done the tuning of the tranny but still can't manage gold. I find the the last turn is the biggest hindrance & the fact that the whole time ( well most the whole time ) my tires are screeching. Also I'm using a regular 6 axis PS3 controller ( the black one that comes w/the PS3 ) I'm starting to guess that most of you have a wheel setup & also do manual gear changing. Well those 2 probs I can't fix, don't have a steering wheel & can't drive a manual tranny.

Then I also wonder just how long it REALLY takes most of you to get the gold, most say 1 to 3 tries. I tried for an hour & still didn't get beyond silver. I've tried braking in all the proper spots & I've tried most if not all turns w/out braking as not to lose speed. Honestly I think it's a bit much to go thru just for a paint chip. I'm really disappointed in GT6. Why the hell did they have to go & make EVERYTHING F:censored:n timed ??!! :banghead: :mad: It's just a thought & some frustration being let out is all. I do thank all for their help I watched that Japanese video & it really did me no good as it looked to me like mostly the same path I follow w/the driving line on anyway & 2nd of all I don't understand Japanese....
Yo dont invest too much thought into peoples post, saying how they got gold so easy and did it in their first 2 warm up laps. I have started to notice that there is some very very talented drivers on this forum. When you see those post know that it is not the average player. There are many top 100 'time trial' times set by people here.
Like you, some events take me 2/3 hours to finally get gold. Some maybe 30 min, just depends. There are some TT's that i would have never EVER come close to bronze if it wasn't for somebody's tune i got from here at :gtplanet:.
I feel for ya man! take a break from that one. go to another car and do some other races. 2mrw I will go back to the TT you are currently on and see if i can remember the tune i used. I know that i kept being 1/2 seconds off than i realized i was missing a certain setting or something like that. once i fix it, i got gold the next time... I wanna say that i didn't realize the car had another gear. I fix my Tranny so top speed was matching longest strait and blew away my ghost. good luck and patience is your friend!👍

Have you seen my post in this thread? it's not a tranny problem IMHO, but likely, the whole setup of the car isn't suiting you. Look at the link...

Yeah same, I try to maintain accurate figures and methods but it only takes a few numbers in the wrong place, easy mistake and you don't tend to notice until someone points it out.
If you look at the @praiano63 method of transmission tuning then it involves setting the highest gear all the way to the right (once final/max are done), if you don't work your way back from the highest gear then you won't be able to reach the same numbers in certain gears.
I didn't really know about these little subtleties until I started looking into transmissions more thoroughly. There's still a lot to learn though, I'm just experimenting with new methods and trying to make sense of it in my own head really.
I've recently figured what these gear ratios mean, and it makes soooo much sense lol! this might come in handy:
http://www.buildingspeed.org/blog/category/engines/rear-end-gear/

http://simnascar.wordpress.com/help/setup-the-race-car-iv/

Back