Settings: Amateur, professional and simulation

• Thread starter JackC8
  • 21 comments
United States
Minnesota, USA
Jack1982cp
Just got my Logitech Driving Force GT wheel, and when looking at the setup options in GT5P, I can choose Amateur, professional, or simulator. Obviously amateur is the easiest, but what's the difference between professional and simulator? Which provides the most accurate driving experience?

Thanks.

I was looking at that selection screen earlier today, actually and I noticed that when you have the curser over the steering type selector, that the Driving Force Pro and Driving Force GT icons on the screen become "blacked out", while the older model Logitech wheels stay highlighted. So, I'm guessing that selection is only for the older non-900° wheels.

Also, it appears that the power-assisted steering and feedback strength options are only for the 900° wheels.

I'd obviously recommend simulator setting (in case that does anything but I don't believe it does).

More importantly, Power assisted steering allows you to move the wheel just slightly faster when making big movements, and my experience with the DFGT is that it's a very good setting to use. Otherwise there's just a little too much resistance to let you throw the wheel around fast enough.

I was looking at that selection screen earlier today, actually and I noticed that when you have the curser over the steering type selector, that the Driving Force Pro and Driving Force GT icons on the screen become "blacked out", while the older model Logitech wheels stay highlighted.

Ah, I just noticed that. I guess it probably doesn't make any difference then. Thanks!

I'll try turning the power steering on and see what that's like.

Thanks for the help guys!

Unlike what most people think, those settings do not work on dfgt, dfp or g25.

Hey Mr. V, I have to disagree completely here. I'm using the DFGT and it makes a huge difference!!! I happen to know this rather surely because trying to find out why I can't be where I'd like to be in EYSII I tried it all (to take it away it's pure lack of capability :lol:) Anyway: I've been using simulation, no question, from the beginning, never tampered with that. Until, as mentioned, now for EYS. Went to the standard setting and it took me three or four attempts to even complete a lap without flying off: the steering is much less responsive, but more forgiving. You need to countersteer harder, but the snap back for example is not as harsh. Difficult to describe, the steering input feels damped. With professional it's the same effect, very feelable still, just not AS intense. But on the DFGT it DEFINETELY has an effect.
To give a recommendation: stick to simulation setting, it's the liveliest, most realistic setting, for me most fun, too. And in the end I returned to it and managed to put in my "least slowest laptime". Just experiment for yourself!
Cheers
Ren

Ren831: i have no proof, but watching the options it dont look that way, but i have not tested it like you so i might be wrong. I have always had it on sim to be on the safe side :lol:

Last edited:
What's everyone's settings for the Driving Force Pro? I have a friend who sets his to Simulation with a Feedback Strength of 10. I thought it was overkill. Last time I played, I set my DFP to Professional with a strength of 5 and it felt more true.

I'll leave it on simulation then, since I've had it that way for a few days now. I don't know if there's a difference, because when I switched from the controller to the wheel, I switched the wheel setup to simulator and also the driving options to professional. Still haven't gotten the knack for the rear engine cars though. You can't just toss the steering from lock to lock like you can with the DS3. Gotta learn to be subtle.

You can't just toss the steering from lock to lock like you can with the DS3. Gotta learn to be subtle.

It's not about being subtle so much as being fast and learning to identify how the car is behaving. If you feel the car starting to lose control, an instant reaction moving the wheel a short distance is sufficient. The longer you wait before taking action after the car starts to get loose, the more work it is to solve the problem.

Let the force feedback tell you what the car is doing (in combination with the tyre sound). Focus on smoothness with the wheel, but be ready to react instantly and aggressively to bring it back under control.

I've just bought DFGT and I'm loving it. First time owning a wheel so I was very impressed with how much it felt like driving a real car. The Physics on GT5P are as sure as accurate when using a wheel but sometimes overbearing.

The hardest thing now is getting used to it as I have been using the game pad for years with GT. Now I try to beat my best times with what I got with the game pad and its been interesting to see how I have had to change the car settings to accomodate for a new driving style away from the game pad.

Well if you guys see me out there slipping and sliding about the place and I hit you....well now you know why!!

And sorry!!

It's not about being subtle so much as being fast and learning to identify how the car is behaving. If you feel the car starting to lose control, an instant reaction moving the wheel a short distance is sufficient. The longer you wait before taking action after the car starts to get loose, the more work it is to solve the problem.

Let the force feedback tell you what the car is doing (in combination with the tyre sound). Focus on smoothness with the wheel, but be ready to react instantly and aggressively to bring it back under control.

Thank you for the advice! I'll work on that.

I have wondered if this steering type setting makes any difference on DFGT but never tested it, I just set it to sim and left it at that. However I didn't initially notice the picture of the DFGT is dimmed when this setting is selected, it is only illuminated when the power steering & feedback strength settings are selected also this is what it says on screen when steering type is selected;

Select the GT Force, Driving Force & Driving Force EX steering characteristics. Amateur mode strikes a good balance between control at high speed & countersteer response, while in Professional mode both aspects are considerably more lively. In Simulation mode there is no assistance when countersteering.

This seems to suggest the steering type setting has no effect on the DFGT so I've just done a quick test to see if I could feel any difference between amateur mode & simulation mode. I did 1 lap in each mode at Suzuka on time trial in the NSX on professional physics and I couldn't feel any difference, in both modes there is assistance when countersteering which there shouldn't be on simulation mode.

Out of interest I did one further lap but this time with the feedback strength settings changed from its default setting (5) to its maximum setting (10) and that definitely makes a difference, I can't believe I've never adjusted it before, it feels so much more like your wrestling a car round a circuit, its brilliant but 10 might be touch to strong so either 7 or 8 should be about perfect.

Out of interest I did one further lap but this time with the feedback strength settings changed from its default setting (5) to its maximum setting (10) and that definitely makes a difference, I can't believe I've never adjusted it before, it feels so much more like your wrestling a car round a circuit, its brilliant but 10 might be touch to strong so either 7 or 8 should be about perfect.

I found 10 meant you got far too much steering resistance and most of the nuances of car weight transfer were lost. I've tried 10, then 8, then down to 5/6 and prefer the lower setting because you feel more nuance instead of just mostly steering resistance. At least, that was what I think I felt :)

What do you mean by countersteer assistance? Are you talking about how the front wheels like to continue following the direction of momentum of the car, even if the rear of the car snaps away? Seems perfectly logical to me that they would attempt to do this, unless you hold the wheel in place and force the front wheels to lose grip...

I found 10 meant you got far too much steering resistance and most of the nuances of car weight transfer were lost. I've tried 10, then 8, then down to 5/6 and prefer the lower setting because you feel more nuance instead of just mostly steering resistance. At least, that was what I think I felt :)

What do you mean by countersteer assistance? Are you talking about how the front wheels like to continue following the direction of momentum of the car, even if the rear of the car snaps away? Seems perfectly logical to me that they would attempt to do this, unless you hold the wheel in place and force the front wheels to lose grip...

Countersteer assistance is where you go round say a left hand corner, the rear end breaks loose and the wheel immediately countersteers (to the right) for you. I wasn't saying that isn't logical although in my experience real cars don't countersteer for you when oversteering, all I was saying was if this steering type setting did affect the DFGT it would not countersteer for you on simulation mode (according to the on screen description of this setting).

So question is, what is more realistic, professional on simulation setting?

I would say that both bear little difference to each other. There is a subtle difference when you have to apply opposite lock in Pro Mode where you have give it more lock with more of a chance of spiining out.

But Simulation gives you just a little more of a chance to save it. So I just leave it on Professional.

do the simple thing, turn all assists of and power steering, set the ff strength to where ever you like it and set to simulation mod if makes difference or not

Back