Setup for dummies and beginners alike

• Thread starter Sselecta
  • 9 comments
Sweden
Sweden
Sselecta
I noticed that many people are asking for specific setups for a certain car and thought I'd share my impatient ''formula'' which I came up with during the first hour of my first drifting session in multiplayer and been using it ever since. The great thing about this is that whether your car is rear wheel drive, rear mid engine or four wheel drive, the same rules apply to them all - the only difference being the Torque Distribution Center Differential for four wheel drive veichles which should be set to 10-90.

The rules are simple;
- Fully tuned car or ''less''
- Front camber angle; between 2.0 -2.5
- Rear camber angle; 0.0
- Spring rate; Usually between 7.0 - 9.5
- Ride height; Entirely up to you
- Gear Ratios; Experiment with Max Speed only, unless the gear ratios need fine-tuing
- Tires; Comfort Hard (preferably)
- Downforce; Decrease as much as possible
- Leave everything else default

Quick and simple. Never let me down once so far. I hope this short and simplified setup guide will come handy for some people, atleast.

Either way; Happy drifting!

sooo... The whole camber thing is all about preference. Your knowledge of spring rate doesn't seem to be spot on. Proper spring rate settings are usually determined by your weight, weight distribution and drivetrain. Ride height should usually be dropped all the way because more height means more movement for your dampers. Dampers are also an important part to your setup because it helps with the stiffness of your ride and how it will react in the corners.

For beginners I would suggest:
low ride height
stiffer dampers
medium roll bars
camber F3.0 R1.5
gears - short enough to fall right on its torque band so your car doesn't bog
LSD- 40/40/30

You think you can probably "drift" your car but when you get into more advanced tuning you will realise how much these things make a difference and make you drift better.

sooo... The whole camber thing is all about preference. Your knowledge of spring rate doesn't seem to be spot on. Proper spring rate settings are usually determined by your weight, weight distribution and drivetrain. Ride height should usually be dropped all the way because more height means more movement for your dampers. Dampers are also an important part to your setup because it helps with the stiffness of your ride and how it will react in the corners.

For beginners I would suggest:
low ride height
stiffer dampers
medium roll bars
camber F3.0 R1.5
gears - short enough to fall right on its torque band so your car doesn't bog
LSD- 40/40/30

You think you can probably "drift" your car but when you get into more advanced tuning you will realise how much these things make a difference and make you drift better.
I knew you'd all be laughing. I've tried various and more advanced settings from the Setting Depot and they never made any difference. And yes, whereas I do understand how suspension settings should be, there really isn't any need for all the advanced icky-picky tuning in GT5 for drifting. At all. If it did actually matter, I'd be using entirely different setting for each car. I mean, we're talking about a game that handles different online and offline physics wise.

Oh well. Just thought I'd share my quick and goofy setup tips.

Ideal beginner setup;

Comfort hards. Thats all you really need to get started... Once you get a feel for the car, add power if you feel it needs it, LSD, suspension, and just fiddle with each bit until you get it right. When you think you have it right, copy the set-up to another sheet and tweak some more, if you mess up, overwrite with original. Trial and error... No one person can give you exact specifics on what to set your car to. Only you can know how you want the car, only you can get the car there. Why people sit around and ask for set-ups for cars is beyond me...

Honestly, any setup here should only be used as a starting point; they shouldnt be relied upon 100% and once you get into the hang of tweaking the set-ups here, you'll begin to understand how to tune your own car to your liking...

I knew you'd all be laughing. I've tried various and more advanced settings from the Setting Depot and they never made any difference. And yes, whereas I do understand how suspension settings should be, there really isn't any need for all the advanced icky-picky tuning in GT5 for drifting. At all. If it did actually matter, I'd be using entirely different setting for each car. I mean, we're talking about a game that handles different online and offline physics wise.

Oh well. Just thought I'd share my quick and goofy setup tips.

I agree with you, and completely disagree at the same time.

If you are talking about jus messing around, getting a car sideways for fun, then I do sort of agree that setup doesn't really make a difference. As long as all the settings are somewhat reasonable, and you use comfort hard or medium tires, you can get pretty much any car sideways.

BUT

...and this is a big but, like, a sir mix-a-lot big but...

If we are talking abou any kind of drifting that is more involved than "just messing around" (comps of all shapes and sizes, tandeming full tracks, etc) then I have to completely disagree that tunin doesn't matter. At that end of the drifting spectrum, tuning makes all the difference in the world.

Take the M3 GTR as an example. When fully upgraded, but with stock settings, it's a pretty horrid drifter. But with the right settings, it's one of the best drift cars in the game...it's so good that it makes the "banned cars" list for most comps. And it's very underpowered compared to most of the other cars that it is comparable to (vettes, vipers, exotics, etc).

I also think tuning all your cars the same way really holds you back in terms of getting the most out of the car. Cars that are similar, ie same drivetrain and similar weight and weight distribution, can easily be done all the same...but if your tuning a 180sx the same as a '07 M3, the same as a Chaser, the same as a BTR, your really limiting the cars' potential.

Like I said though, for just messing around, and also for someone who is just beginning to drift, settings don't really make that much difference.

I also think tuning all your cars the same way really holds you back in terms of getting the most out of the car. Cars that are similar, ie same drivetrain and similar weight and weight distribution, can easily be done all the same...but if your tuning a 180sx the same as a '07 M3, the same as a Chaser, the same as a BTR, your really limiting the cars' potential.

This is one of the problems I have. I know jack about tuning. I can get most cars to be... just ok ... and I fully realize that the tune should be dependent on the cars characteristics. The problem being.. I don't know how to pinpoint those characteristics very well, and even when I can recognize what the car is doing that I don't like... I am clueless as to how to tune it out.

I'm not 100% completely clueless but I am pretty sure that tuning issues are why I have trouble doing tandems. When chasing I always feel like I wind up carrying much more speed than the leader and I always feel like I couldn't possibly carry the same angle as the leader if I were matching their seemingly slower speed. However, when leading I tend to always get rammed in the back. :boggled:

I'm learning though... only been drifting on GT5 since January and only started going online a couple weeks ago. The online/offline physics difference was immediately apparent, as I almost couldn't drift at all online in cars that I was able to link whole tracks with offline. It felt like online the car wanted to straighten out easier and/or snap back causing me to spin out much easier.

Really, the best thing for new drifters is THIS!

I'm surprised someone knowledgeable, that plays GT5, hasn't rewritten this for it... Although, everything still works the same, pretty much!

This is one of the problems I have. I know jack about tuning. I can get most cars to be... just ok ... and I fully realize that the tune should be dependent on the cars characteristics. The problem being.. I don't know how to pinpoint those characteristics very well, and even when I can recognize what the car is doing that I don't like... I am clueless as to how to tune it out.

I'm not 100% completely clueless but I am pretty sure that tuning issues are why I have trouble doing tandems. When chasing I always feel like I wind up carrying much more speed than the leader and I always feel like I couldn't possibly carry the same angle as the leader if I were matching their seemingly slower speed. However, when leading I tend to always get rammed in the back. :boggled:

I'm learning though... only been drifting on GT5 since January and only started going online a couple weeks ago. The online/offline physics difference was immediately apparent, as I almost couldn't drift at all online in cars that I was able to link whole tracks with offline. It felt like online the car wanted to straighten out easier and/or snap back causing me to spin out much easier.

Well, I for one, salute you! I've been drifting since January also and I have tried to tandem, BUT my problem is too slow period. On tracks like Tsukuba, I know what entry speed I need to drift it, but everyone else is going faster. If I see people coming up behind me, I pull off to the side and let them pass. I watch them, though. That way I can pick up on what they're doing. I have been practicing a lot using e-brake on some corners, powering through on others.

What I think I have figured out is I can enter the turn faster if I use the e-brake to get down to the speed that I know I like for that turn, then use the steering and gas to control the drift. When powering through, I hit the gas to start the drift then let off for a second, then use the steering and gas to control the drift. I'm getting better at both, but still inconsistant.

For tuning, I adjust everything if I feel it needs to be adjusted. Just depends on how the car acts. I can tell when I need to adjust transmission rather than suspension, for instance. I have tried using other people's setups, but always found them to be wrong for me in one way or the other.

Back