Shell V-Power

  • Thread starter Thread starter Boz Mon
  • 17 comments
  • 887 views
Messages
1,478
Heres the story: I bought some for the first time for my 1995 Honda Prelude Si. I noticed a 20+/- mile difference when I filled up again. My dad thinks it was my driving but I think it was the gas. I've been searching the internet for information about it but so far everything that I came up with sounded like an ad for shell. Does anyone know a website that has info about it, and who is shell affiliated with? I feel like I am obsessing over this, someone help me please
 
Well I put Shell gas in my truck and I noticed a decrease in mileage. I think mainly it's your driving. You gas comes from pretty much the same place when you get down to it. Me personally buy whatever gas is the cheapest and closest.
 
Yeah I'm pretty sure the system is that companies deposite a certain volume into one end of a pipeline and pick up an equal volume of the same grade on the other end, meaning there is no real distinguishing factors between companies (other than cost).
 
I don't know, 20 miles is a lot. and ive found a lot of information about this top tier gas.

www.toptiergas.com

I think there is something to it
 
Boz Mon
I noticed a 20+/- mile difference when I filled up again.

What do you mean a 20 mile difference? What was the fuel mileage before and after?

I think you need to fillup more than one time and do some averaging to figure out if one gas is actually giving you better mileage... I have a hard time believing it would though.

If you look at that top tier site they are talking about fuels that keep engines clean, not that give better fuel mileage. A clean engine should give better gas mileage, but you aren't going to notice changes in fuel immediatly.
 
i drive a 3.0 V6 ford taurus 95...

if i buy premium or even plus gas, will that give me better gas mileage and if so, more mileage to where it would cost less to get the premium or plus than regular due to the more miles i could possibly get?

being if better gas gets me more miles to the gallon
 
XVII
i drive a 3.0 V6 ford taurus 95...

if i buy premium or even plus gas, will that give me better gas mileage and if so, more mileage to where it would cost less to get the premium or plus than regular due to the more miles i could possibly get?

being if better gas gets me more miles to the gallon

Well I believe it is different in every engine and every situatioin (altitude driving use etc).

Thats one of things that you would have to test out during your normal driving conditions then do the math.
 
XVII
i drive a 3.0 V6 ford taurus 95...

if i buy premium or even plus gas, will that give me better gas mileage and if so, more mileage to where it would cost less to get the premium or plus than regular due to the more miles i could possibly get?

being if better gas gets me more miles to the gallon
Generally, atleast in my experience with the 91 and 93 octane fuels, they improve throttle responsiveness and performance, but there isn't really a significant change in mileage. This is mainly because the higher octane fuels burn cleaner and therefore combust stronger (for lack of the proper term). However, if your engine reccommends a certain octane fuel, use that, as anything more will not produce any benefits, anything less will cause a decrease in performance.
 
I drive my car with Aral Ultimate / Shell V-Power.... it has 100 Octan and also some additional incredients that result in a reduction of fuel consumption and emissions, this premium gas certainly has strong effects, but as it was said before it varies from car to car....
 
I'd expect slightly lower fuel mileage with higher octane gas, as it requires more energy to get it to combust. If your car only requires regular gas, I don't think you should be able to actually notice any difference switching to premium, in fuel mileage or performance.

Unless, of course, you really want to see a difference. Then you will probably be able to convince yourself the car is running better.
 
Shell premium is in my car right now($2.91 per gallon) and it has never run worse.
 
retsmah
What do you mean a 20 mile difference? What was the fuel mileage before and after?

I think you need to fillup more than one time and do some averaging to figure out if one gas is actually giving you better mileage... I have a hard time believing it would though.

If you look at that top tier site they are talking about fuels that keep engines clean, not that give better fuel mileage. A clean engine should give better gas mileage, but you aren't going to notice changes in fuel immediatly.


I'm going to fill up with it more and see my results just to be sure but I still think it is giving me better mileage
 
How much of a fuel mileage difference did you see when you first switched over to the premium stuff?
 
A 20 mile difference isn't huge ... There are many factors that affect fuel milage, driving habits and driving conditions being the most significant ...
 
Jmac279
A 20 mile difference isn't huge ... There are many factors that affect fuel milage, driving habits and driving conditions being the most significant ...

I was thinking the same. In the extremes, Driving conditions/style can make surely 100 miles, probably more difference on a full tank.
 
I agree with just about everyone else. I doubt the 20 mile change was due to the gas. Typically different octane gases are used for engine performance, and not mileage. The difference between 85, 87, 91, etc. octanes are mainly to keep combustion points regulated (I worded that very poorly, but I hope you understand).
 
I'm still on clear on what 20 mile change means. Getting 20 extra miles on a tank of gas doesn't mean much unless you filled it up with exactly the same amount of gas, which is unlikely.
 
Goomba
I agree with just about everyone else. I doubt the 20 mile change was due to the gas. Typically different octane gases are used for engine performance, and not mileage. The difference between 85, 87, 91, etc. octanes are mainly to keep combustion points regulated (I worded that very poorly, but I hope you understand).
The octane rating is a measure of its resistance to ignite under pressure ...

They measure it against a mixture of iso-octane and n-heptane ... A fuel with a 100 octane rating has equal resistance to ignition under pressure as pure iso-octane ... A fuel with a 90 octane rating has equal resistance to ignition under pressure as a mixture of 90% iso-octane and 10% n-heptane ...

There are two different octane ratings based on two different tests: Motor Octane Number and Research Octane Number. The MON test is more intense than the RON test, so the MON number is always lower.

Europe uses only the RON rating whereas North America takes an average of the RON and MON rating ...

You may see a performance difference between two different fuels with the same rating because of additives (i.e. Techron) which may increase or decrease the fuel's energy density. Also, fuel performance varies with season as butane is added depending on the temperature in your area. Butane, which has a lower energy density than gasoline, reduces performance but allows easier starts.
 
Back